Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 19 May 2002, 20:31 (Ref:290034)   #1
SL
Veteran

SL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yoong 3rd

Belive it or not Alex Yoong has planted a Lotus 3rd on the grid at Monaco. OK it is a historic F1 event being held there, but even so 3rd proves he is pretty fast.

Sato managed to but his car into the armco and will not start the race.

SL
Old 20 May 2002, 10:30 (Ref:290086)   #2
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
2nd in the race, after leading for a lot of it. He was stuck in 5th for a bit of it too.

15 laps wet running and 10 laps dry. I wonder how much it will help?
Old 20 May 2002, 10:43 (Ref:290103)   #3
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Explain that, all of those who think that F1 drivers today can't drive real cars... He was leading by miles until becoming stuck in 5th. Not easy to even get the car round Monaco in 5th I'd have thought.
Old 20 May 2002, 17:34 (Ref:290637)   #4
JPBeltoise
Rookie

JPBeltoise should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm glad Alex did such a good job in the Monaco historic race. There are several of us on this forum who have been saying that he's not as hopless as most people say. Now I hope that he can translate that extra experience into some quick times this weekend.
Old 20 May 2002, 17:55 (Ref:290659)   #5
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Can someone explain wich model is that Lotus ?

...And if Yoong managed to drive it fast, cheers to him. Lotus is a name that should remain in the mythical ground.
Old 20 May 2002, 18:20 (Ref:290693)   #6
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It's a Lotus 72, Bononi. A classic JPS ex-Ronnie Peterson car. And it's well looked-after, too, so the gearbox glitch is doubly unfortunate.

I wonder - could it be that Alex Yoong is demonstrating not only that he has more innate talent than he is given credit for, but that the current trend of F1 design only flatters certain drivers.

I have a nasty thought in the back of my mind that the tail-sliding virtuoso that was Ronnie Peterson might have been slated as a hopeless cause if he'd ever been given a 2002 spec car to race.

Good for Alex, though. He was willing to have a go, he kept it on the tarmac, and he was quick. But especially he was willing to have a go. More of this, please.
Old 20 May 2002, 19:05 (Ref:290726)   #7
jonboyG
Racer

jonboyG has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Good for Alex, though. He was willing to have a go, he kept it on the tarmac,
Which is more than Takuma Sato did in the Lotus 49.

Good to see that Yoong can actually drive. If my folks weren't using the flat I could have been down there for the race (and the GP)
Old 20 May 2002, 19:21 (Ref:290744)   #8
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by TimD
...the current trend of F1 design only flatters certain drivers.
Why only certain drivers? More likely, surely, that all F1 drivers are very talented and that the current style of car makes this difficult to see on TV?
Old 20 May 2002, 19:26 (Ref:290749)   #9
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Cheers, TimD !!

Ronnie was one of my faves, and thinking about the Lotus 72 on the streets of Monaco brings a feeling that, despite the current situation, I never wasted my time watching those heroes...
Old 22 May 2002, 04:21 (Ref:292124)   #10
Jukebox
Veteran

Malaysia
KL
Jukebox should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What a pleasant suprise to see that Yoong made it at 2nd place and the fact that he was leading all the way until the final lap in the recent historic race
Old 22 May 2002, 04:45 (Ref:292132)   #11
freud
Veteran

freud has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Alex Yoong is not a bad driver after all
Old 22 May 2002, 11:49 (Ref:292446)   #12
OVERSTEER
Veteran

England
Sheffield, England
OVERSTEER should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Maybe Yoong should consider Historic racing if he's that good, maybe a go in a historic F1 car at the goodwood festival of speed!
Old 22 May 2002, 12:31 (Ref:292511)   #13
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well, I think Yoong proved that he does have talent after all. Good job.