Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 14 Nov 2007, 22:14 (Ref:2067625)   #1
Harry Stiller
Rookie

United Kingdom
Christchurch U.K.
Harry Stiller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The FIA and its authority

Congratulations to Mike Lawrence at Pitpass for one of the best articles of its kind I have read for years. It puts matters in perspective for every follower of the sport and calls it where its at. As he so rightly states, the FIA is a self-appointed body without a mandate from an government authority. If he missed anything at all, it's only one small point or fact. Many years ago our American cousins made it quite clear what they thought of the FIA and its assumed power. From that day on the FIA has had no say, no sway and as far as major motorsport in the States is concerned, can impose nothing whatsoever and has no recognised authority. It only exists with the backing from one major motor club from each nation that chooses to support it.

I would go as far as to say this; If all the circuit owners and organising Clubs in the UK were to get together and form their own body, then the FIA, the MSA could both close their doors and would no longer be required. Costs for all concerned then might well become a lot more reasonable and a hell of a lot more sense might well prevail to the betterment of the sport in the UK at all levels of participation and organisation.....not to mention the paying and long suffering punters!

Hhhmmm....now where's my trusted paint brush and set of old banners? JYS and co. always said I was a real rebel !!!

Harry Stiller.
Old 14 Nov 2007, 22:24 (Ref:2067631)   #2
Chiefy
Veteran

Germany
Cottbus, Germany.
Chiefy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Could we have some linkage?
Old 14 Nov 2007, 23:27 (Ref:2067660)   #3
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameTeretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameTeretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameTeretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameTeretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameTeretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameTeretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameTeretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Just go to www.pitpass.com

Article is "House of cards"
Its good, clear and accurate.
Old 14 Nov 2007, 23:27 (Ref:2067662)   #4
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Here it is.Not bad.

http://www.pitpass.com/fes_php/pitpa...s_art_id=33394

Err......great minds and all that.
Old 14 Nov 2007, 23:48 (Ref:2067668)   #5
flashing
Rookie

flashing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
On this occasion Lawrence has nailed it. One can only wonder when the Movers and Shakers in the racing world are going to wake up to the total mess the ‘Blazer Brigade’ led by dear leader Max have gotten them into.
Old 15 Nov 2007, 00:50 (Ref:2067701)   #6
Chiefy
Veteran

Germany
Cottbus, Germany.
Chiefy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Cheers for that!

Yep, nice article.
Old 15 Nov 2007, 01:50 (Ref:2067719)   #7
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Wonderful article !

Do we need a revolution then ???
Old 15 Nov 2007, 01:55 (Ref:2067721)   #8
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
I enjoy reading Mike Lawrence articles.
Old 15 Nov 2007, 08:15 (Ref:2067803)   #9
bosch!
Veteran

New Zealand-Maori
GodZone
bosch! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He's totally confused about the Bosman ruling though, that case was about transfer rules and the right of players to negotiate with other clubs at the end of their contract not about the 2 foreign player rule.
Old 15 Nov 2007, 10:02 (Ref:2067865)   #10
Piglet
Veteran

Piglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'm a great fan of Mike's articles but I think he is slightly confused about some of these points and seems to skip between a number of issues. As above, Bosman was about a right to work cross border, it was a fundemental human rights case it is not relevant to any issues of contract law etc.

Whilst I agree entirely about the need for equal treatment, within F1 these issues are dealt with under contract law, the regulations state that you can't bounce cases into national courts - it's not the same as a human rights ruling and doesn't really have very much to do with how the FIA gain its authority.

I agree with the issues that Mike raises but for once I think it's a bit of a scrappy article.
Old 15 Nov 2007, 10:17 (Ref:2067880)   #11
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piglet
I agree with the issues that Mike raises but for once I think it's a bit of a scrappy article.
I agree - the article seems a bit confused in places (for example what bosch! says about the Bosman ruling - he's straying into dangerous territory citing an example he doesn't understand in an article). I think the points could have been made better.
"The more I see of the world, the more am I dissatisfied with it; every day confirms my belief of the inconsistency of all human characters, and of the little dependence which can be placed on the appearance of either merit or sense." -- Elizabeth Bennet, 'Pride & Prejudice'
Old 15 Nov 2007, 11:14 (Ref:2067917)   #12
Asp
Race Official
Veteran

England
Cumbria, UK
Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Stiller
I would go as far as to say this; If all the circuit owners and organising Clubs in the UK were to get together and form their own body, then the FIA, the MSA could both close their doors and would no longer be required.
How far this is true is definitely debatable. The MSA (tracing back to it's roots in the RAC) has a Royal Charter to govern motorsport in the UK. Having a race/competition in a 'public place' is a breach of the Road Traffic Act unless its regulated by an 'authorising body' such as the RAC/MSA.
It's all hypothetical (practical considerations of running against the MSA are plentiful), and I'd say there are ways around it - but it's not quite as technically possible as it may seem at first glance.
Old 15 Nov 2007, 11:17 (Ref:2067924)   #13
ensign14
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Deception Island
ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!
Although he is wrong about the Bosman specifics, it was EU law that scuppered the foreign player regulations.
Old 16 Nov 2007, 20:19 (Ref:2069148)   #14
RT
Veteran

United States
Great Lakes Area
RT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Problem is, if the FIA were not in place something very much like the FIA would need to be created. Churchill's statement about democracy being an imperfect form of government....except for the alternatives,applies to the FIA.

We don't need to eliminate the FIA, we need to improve it but roughly, it did the right thing this one time. And the championship was decided where it should have been...on the track...and won by the best driver....The Kimster.
Old 16 Nov 2007, 20:46 (Ref:2069167)   #15
ensign14
Veteran

Deception Island
ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!
The problem is when the FIA appeals the FIA's stewards decisions to an FIA committee. And says no-one else can appeal them.

So, if the stewards make a decision the FIA likes, no other team can appeal it - no matter if it's as barmy as not DQing cars with illegal fuel that give a power boost.
Old 17 Nov 2007, 08:09 (Ref:2069397)   #16
henk4
Veteran

Netherlands
Rozenburg, Holland
henk4 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridhenk4 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ensign14
Although he is wrong about the Bosman specifics, it was EU law that scuppered the foreign player regulations.
The Bosman case was about the right of players to break their contracts in case some other club would make a better offer...no nationality issue at all. The EC treaty stipulates free movement of goods capital AND labour between member states. Therefore any citizen of a EU meber state can work without any permit in another Member State. Playing for a professional football club can be seen as work...
Old 17 Nov 2007, 09:11 (Ref:2069416)   #17
ensign14
Veteran

Deception Island
Exactly. EU law on freedom of movement.
Old 17 Nov 2007, 09:54 (Ref:2069429)   #18
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by henk4
The Bosman case was about the right of players to break their contracts in case some other club would make a better offer
As far as I'm aware, it was never about 'breaking' contracts, but rather the freedom for a player to leave their club at the end of their contract.

Last edited by Super Hans; 17 Nov 2007 at 09:57.
Old 17 Nov 2007, 11:03 (Ref:2069465)   #19
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ensign14
The problem is when the FIA appeals the FIA's stewards decisions to an FIA committee. And says no-one else can appeal them.

So, if the stewards make a decision the FIA likes, no other team can appeal it - no matter if it's as barmy as not DQing cars with illegal fuel that give a power boost.
I agree completely. I think the problem with the FIA is that it isn't answerable to anybody, and it's not possible to ever be completely sure that their decisions are impartial - for example, the McLaren espionage saga with Max Mosley preciding over the WMSC hearing despite the fact that it's common knowledge that he doesn't like Ron Dennis. In just about any other situation that would be a conflict of interest, but the FIA can just do as it pleases.
"The more I see of the world, the more am I dissatisfied with it; every day confirms my belief of the inconsistency of all human characters, and of the little dependence which can be placed on the appearance of either merit or sense." -- Elizabeth Bennet, 'Pride & Prejudice'
Old 17 Nov 2007, 12:09 (Ref:2069499)   #20
henk4
Veteran

Netherlands
Rozenburg, Holland
henk4 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridhenk4 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Hans
As far as I'm aware, it was never about 'breaking' contracts, but rather the freedom for a player to leave their club at the end of their contract.
you might be entirely right there, it was meant to stop the practice that clubs could demand payment for a player from another club, even after his contract had terminated and even after the player had reached an agreement with this new club....(all in all it has nothing to do with the issues dealt with in the article about FIA )
Old 17 Nov 2007, 15:41 (Ref:2069592)   #21
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralf's Girl
I agree completely. I think the problem with the FIA is that it isn't answerable to anybody, and it's not possible to ever be completely sure that their decisions are impartial - for example, the McLaren espionage saga with Max Mosley preciding over the WMSC hearing despite the fact that it's common knowledge that he doesn't like Ron Dennis. In just about any other situation that would be a conflict of interest, but the FIA can just do as it pleases.
It's near impossible to show impartiality in that situation then if that is indeed the case, which brings us back to the remark that Sir Jackie Stewart made about the FIA and McLaren..
Old 17 Nov 2007, 18:39 (Ref:2069685)   #22
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremySmith
It's near impossible to show impartiality in that situation then if that is indeed the case, which brings us back to the remark that Sir Jackie Stewart made about the FIA and McLaren..
Well if we don't get JYS making uninformed remarks about the spy affair then we are sure to get uninformed remarks from other quarters.

Maybe some of these 'informed' characters would like to take a seat on the WMSC at some time and then see just how different things are when they have to consider something on its own merits and not be swayed by what is happening elsewhere.
Old 17 Nov 2007, 19:03 (Ref:2069697)   #23
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
Well it was the Max Mosley does not care for Ron Dennis bit I was talking about. Not that I think RG is wrong, because it's common knowledge Mr Mosley does not like the man, therefore how can he be impartial in a process that involves a chap that he has little time for..

The last part of your post I agree with..
Old 17 Nov 2007, 19:13 (Ref:2069704)   #24
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
therefore how can he be impartial in a process that involves a chap that he has little time for..
Max not taking part in these hearings would be a good thing.

Quote:
The last part of your post I agree with..
More ex-racers taking part in these hearings would also be a good thing.
Old 17 Nov 2007, 19:14 (Ref:2069705)   #25
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Can't this go into a wider forum than Formula One where more club racers may see it. I think with the FIA/MSA'a latest Rain Light requirement imposed on us for 2008 plus a host of other things like having to replace perfectly good seat belts and extinguiser systems because they have been 'lifed' even if kept in a sealed box and never used. There should be a lot of interest on the racers Forum.