Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 12 Dec 2007, 21:46 (Ref:2087494)   #1
inpitlane
Veteran

inpitlane should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
F1 tests new lighting system down under

Mark Webber and Motorcycle legend Mick Doohan were on hand to test a new Australian designed portable track lighting system at Melbourne's Calder Park.
The new system designed by Hella Australia was tested under the gaze of the FIA and a team from FOM media.
Picture and story at www.pitlanepr.com/inpitlane
Old 13 Dec 2007, 00:40 (Ref:2087598)   #2
Burnsie
Official Timekeeper!
Veteran

Burnsie should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBurnsie should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBurnsie should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid

In a recent edition of F1 Racing magazine (November issue I think) there was a fascinating article on the logistics involved in staging F1's first night race - the 2008 Singapore GP. The main points that came across to me were:

(a) the lights must not cause glare to the drivers or marshals,
(b) long shadows should not be cast from the cars (for TV purposes I presume)
(c) only ONE side of the track will have lights, but the whole track must be evenly illuminated,
(d) even if a car spins and is pointing in the wrong direction, the driver should not be facing directly into a light

Mark Webber recently appealed to Australians - motorsport fans and Melbourne residents in particular - to support the Aussie GP or risk losing it. From the photograph of Calder Park those lights appear to be very dazzling, but I'm sure they wouldn't be using them if they didn't fit the FIA's criteria. So perhaps staging the race at night - at a time more suitable to European audiences - would help the cause. It would be a terrible shame if we lost Australia from the F1 calendar as it's one of the races I look forward to each year, and will always get up (or stay up!) to watch it live. I hope their project is a success!
Old 13 Dec 2007, 02:53 (Ref:2087631)   #3
inpitlane
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnsie
In a recent edition of F1 Racing magazine (November issue I think) there was a fascinating article on the logistics involved in staging F1's first night race - the 2008 Singapore GP. The main points that came across to me were:

(a) the lights must not cause glare to the drivers or marshals,
(b) long shadows should not be cast from the cars (for TV purposes I presume)
(c) only ONE side of the track will have lights, but the whole track must be evenly illuminated,
(d) even if a car spins and is pointing in the wrong direction, the driver should not be facing directly into a light

Mark Webber recently appealed to Australians - motorsport fans and Melbourne residents in particular - to support the Aussie GP or risk losing it. From the photograph of Calder Park those lights appear to be very dazzling, but I'm sure they wouldn't be using them if they didn't fit the FIA's criteria. So perhaps staging the race at night - at a time more suitable to European audiences - would help the cause. It would be a terrible shame if we lost Australia from the F1 calendar as it's one of the races I look forward to each year, and will always get up (or stay up!) to watch it live. I hope their project is a success!
The most interesting thing about the excersice I think was the fact that it only took 11 hours to set up. Calder Park is a lot smaller than the the GP track but still it's an impressive set up time.
I'm going to contact Leanne Tander at some stage and see if she has any feedback as she was the one driving the real race car and in the wet as well.
I take it they used recycled water, or otherwise that was one serious breach of our water restrictions.
Old 13 Dec 2007, 08:08 (Ref:2087717)   #4
MacMan
Racer

Australia
Perth
MacMan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
so instead of the world having to suit the Americans now, everyone has to make viewing times more suitable for the Europeans? and there was me thinking that F1 was a global sport, oh well. They should look at having a few night races in Europe as well then
Old 13 Dec 2007, 08:45 (Ref:2087734)   #5
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacMan
They should look at having a few night races in Europe as well then
Good idea.

TBH I'd prefer that one or two of them were as it would free up a few more Sunday afternoons!

More details about the Singapore night race.

http://www.pitpass.com/fes_php/pitpa...s_art_id=33545

Last edited by Marbot; 13 Dec 2007 at 08:55.
Old 13 Dec 2007, 12:18 (Ref:2087900)   #6
Burnsie
Official Timekeeper!
Veteran

Burnsie should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBurnsie should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBurnsie should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid

Quote:
so instead of the world having to suit the Americans now, everyone has to make viewing times more suitable for the Europeans? and there was me thinking that F1 was a global sport, oh well. They should look at having a few night races in Europe as well then
I agree with you completely! But the point to remember is that while F1 is a global sport, FOM is a ruthless blue-chip business which aims to maximise profits wherever possible - and I don't think that I'm being overly cynical by saying that. Television revenue contributes to a large part of their revenue, so changing race times to suit the majority of the viewers (or the viewers from countries which pay Bernie more for broadcasting rights) probably makes logical business sense. As does staging Grands Prix in countries with little or no motor racing history, but rich in wealth. You know the ones I mean.

Personally I would watch a race whether it started at 1:00pm or 3:00am, and I'd like to think that most true F1 supporters would too. And to pick up on your final point about staging a night-race in Europe, if it works in Singapore why not stage the Valencia street-race in the dark too??
Old 13 Dec 2007, 17:29 (Ref:2088087)   #7
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Most of the F1 fans are in Europe. I'd personally like to see the Aussie GP ran under lights and quite possibly some of the Asian ones as well.

Potentially, some European races could be ran under floodlights at 7.30 pm or something. Champions League andrexball gets good ratings ...
Old 14 Dec 2007, 01:51 (Ref:2088349)   #8
PVDA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
PVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Further info here

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sto...-11088,00.html
Old 16 Dec 2007, 15:34 (Ref:2089959)   #9
Yannick
Veteran

Yannick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think the whole idea of night racing in F1 is just a novelty. I mean it's totally opposed to the planned concepts of energy efficiency in engines, because it's an unnecessary waste of energy. It'll probably become a fad when the novelty effect has worn off.
In fact, I think the races should all be held at daylight.
Old 16 Dec 2007, 16:35 (Ref:2089989)   #10
MCWB
Veteran

MCWB should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by PVDA
Further info here
Hmm, "Australian Formula One driver Mark Webber tests the lighting at Calder Park"... in Leanne Tander's F304 wearing her helmet?
Old 16 Dec 2007, 17:32 (Ref:2090010)   #11
zac510
Veteran

zac510 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yannick
I think the whole idea of night racing in F1 is just a novelty. I mean it's totally opposed to the planned concepts of energy efficiency in engines, because it's an unnecessary waste of energy. It'll probably become a fad when the novelty effect has worn off.
In fact, I think the races should all be held at daylight.
Of course you're completely ignoring the commercial reasons for running the race at night..
Old 16 Dec 2007, 17:54 (Ref:2090018)   #12
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!
The track will be so bright and overlit due to ridiculously high safety standards that it will be probably brighter than racing in the day.
Old 16 Dec 2007, 22:05 (Ref:2090126)   #13
inpitlane
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCWB
Hmm, "Australian Formula One driver Mark Webber tests the lighting at Calder Park"... in Leanne Tander's F304 wearing her helmet?
There's an obvious gag in there but I'm not going there
Old 17 Dec 2007, 00:34 (Ref:2090207)   #14
Dixie Flatline
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
Dixie Flatline should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
TBH, I'd rather lose the Australian Grand Prix than see it being raced under lights. It's even less environmentally friendly than a typical Formula One race in an age where environmental concerns are high on the agenda. It would promote drunken behaviour at the circuit and it would definitely not be family friendly.
Old 17 Dec 2007, 23:20 (Ref:2090918)   #15
RotorFan
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
RotorFan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCWB
And she didn't even get a mention in the article.

Fabrizio Giovanardi: I have like a banana - is the yellow car in front - that make me, you know, running like the monkey, running for the banana. When I see yellow in front, I just pushing harder and harder. I want that banana.