Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 23 Jan 2008, 11:29 (Ref:2111884)   #1
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
FIRST Allegation of 2008 (or is it first excuse?)

Well, if you had hoped for a clean season (or at least a clean start)...Trulli burst the bubble...

Trulli alleges that some teams are working with some form of launch assistance. Source? Toyota receiving conflicting information...

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/64806

... or is it excuse in antipation of a poor start to the season?

Old 23 Jan 2008, 11:43 (Ref:2111889)   #2
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
I wouldn't be surprised if some teams are finding ways to minimise wheelspin off the line and get better starts - finding a way to use launch/traction control when it's outlawed would hardly be a new thing.

But when the Toyotas get overtaken by everyone off the line in Australia, at least we'll know they're rubbish but honest.
"The more I see of the world, the more am I dissatisfied with it; every day confirms my belief of the inconsistency of all human characters, and of the little dependence which can be placed on the appearance of either merit or sense." -- Elizabeth Bennet, 'Pride & Prejudice'
Old 23 Jan 2008, 12:01 (Ref:2111894)   #3
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Well the regulation is very clear on this.

Article 9.3

"No car may be equipped with a system or device which is capable of preventing the driven wheels from spinning under power or of compensating for excessive throttle demand by the driver."

"Any device or system which notifies the driver of the onset of wheel spin is not permitted."
Old 23 Jan 2008, 12:14 (Ref:2111904)   #4
Rgms320
Racer

United States
Seattle
Rgms320 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
And if that wasn't enough, my spies tell me that Ferrari has all the technical details of McLaren's ECU!
Old 23 Jan 2008, 12:54 (Ref:2111929)   #5
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by martyn bott
Well the regulation is very clear on this.
Forgive me for not feeling at all comforted by this!
Old 23 Jan 2008, 13:20 (Ref:2111959)   #6
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!
Whoops!

So is the ECU hackable then?
Old 23 Jan 2008, 13:33 (Ref:2111971)   #7
Rgms320
Racer

United States
Seattle
Rgms320 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo
Whoops!

Oops.... lest I start rumors, *all* the teams have the details of McLaren's ECU, since they're all (theoretically) using the same unit.

That was the foundation of the joke.
Old 23 Jan 2008, 13:39 (Ref:2111976)   #8
werner
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam, the Netherlands
werner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridwerner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by martyn bott

"Any device or system which notifies the driver of the onset of wheel spin is not permitted."
Since revs going up fast is an indication of wheelspin, this means that rev-o-meters are banned in 2008?
Old 23 Jan 2008, 13:39 (Ref:2111977)   #9
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!
I don't get it, if its a sealed unit then how can teams be "altering" it?
Old 23 Jan 2008, 13:45 (Ref:2111980)   #10
mjstallard
Veteran

England
London
mjstallard should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quite simply, they can't with electronics or the ECU:

Quote:
8.2.1 All components of the engine and gearbox, including clutch, differential and all associated actuators must
be controlled by an Electronic Control Unit (ECU) which has been manufactured by an FIA designated
supplier to a specification determined by the FIA.
The ECU may only be used with FIA approved software and may only be connected to the control system
wiring loom, sensors and actuators in an manner specified by the FIA.

8.2.2 All control sensors, actuators and FIA monitoring sensors will be specified and homologated by the FIA.
Each and every component of the control system will be sealed and uniquely identified and their identities
tracked through their life cycle.
These components and units may not be disassembled or modified in any way and seals and identifiers
must remain intact and legible.
Unless it's some sort of mechanical trickery, of course.
Old 23 Jan 2008, 15:11 (Ref:2112031)   #11
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
God here we go again...
Old 23 Jan 2008, 15:22 (Ref:2112039)   #12
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
on one hand it nice to see Trulli speaking up about a potential problem.

on the other he could have no idea what he's talking about.

but hopefully just by saying it, the FIA can get ahead of it and issue a clarification...unless Toyota choose not to launch an official complaint and just build some type of TC for themselves...so yes here we go again...good times
Old 23 Jan 2008, 16:40 (Ref:2112094)   #13
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Maybe the FIA needs to tell the other 21 drivers to stop going "chchcchchchch" when they accelerate out of tight corners...?
Old 23 Jan 2008, 16:41 (Ref:2112097)   #14
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
I don't get it, if its a sealed unit then how can teams be "altering" it?
The teams program the software that goes on it, you can't use the same software on one engine to another.
Old 23 Jan 2008, 16:49 (Ref:2112100)   #15
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by duke_toaster
The teams program the software that goes on it, you can't use the same software on one engine to another.
Eh?

You have got to be kidding? So the teams put their own software on the ECU? How in a cat in hells chance do the FIA police it then?

Surely its no different to running your own ECU then?
Old 23 Jan 2008, 16:55 (Ref:2112103)   #16
Alan Raine
Veteran

England
Hale, Cheshire
Alan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Eh?

You have got to be kidding? So the teams put their own software on the ECU? How in a cat in hells chance do the FIA police it then?

Surely its no different to running your own ECU then?
I would think the software is already on it. It's just set up for each teams engines etc.
Old 23 Jan 2008, 16:57 (Ref:2112105)   #17
mjstallard
Veteran

England
London
Aye, the software has to be FIA approved (as above), but I'm not sure what this means. I always thought it meant that it there is a generic piece of software that everyone uses otherwise it totally negates the point of having a single ECU in the first place.
Old 23 Jan 2008, 17:25 (Ref:2112117)   #18
naughtymutt
Racer

naughtymutt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjstallard
Aye, the software has to be FIA approved (as above), but I'm not sure what this means. I always thought it meant that it there is a generic piece of software that everyone uses otherwise it totally negates the point of having a single ECU in the first place.
no, the FIA can control the input/output from the ECU.

However, what about them using a system external to the ECU (utilising the same sensors). How difficult would it be to measure engine RPM / Roadspeed and wheel speed and then cut engine spark.

Also is there anything stopping the teams from even just having a light on the dash board telling the driver that the wheels are spinning and to get off the gas.
Old 23 Jan 2008, 18:01 (Ref:2112134)   #19
mjstallard
Veteran

England
London
Hmm..very good point - there's nothing in the rules about having two data paths coming from an FIA approved sensor. The ECU's connectivity is defined as "may only be connected to the control system
wiring loom, sensors and actuators in an manner specified by the FIA.".

Note nothing about the sensors themselves. The sensors are sealed and can't be altered, but what about the connectors and the the bit between the loom and the sensor?

There is this regarding the loom:

Quote:
8.2.3 The control system wiring loom connectivity will be specified by the FIA.
But it's rather disconcertingly vague. I can't see anything explicitly outlawing the connection of sensors to a "secondary" ECU type device. I also can't see anything saying the FIA ECU must have absolute, unhindered control of the engine, clutch, etc.

I am but a mere Software Engineer with a headache and a lack of knowledge about rules and regulations, so I could be barking up a tree in the wrong forest. I wouldn't be surprised if these rules could well come under review and some tightening though...
Old 23 Jan 2008, 18:25 (Ref:2112144)   #20
Chiefy
Veteran

Germany
Cottbus, Germany.
Chiefy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The silliest thing about Trulli's allegation is that he says he won't name names. If "cheating" is disadvantaging his team then surely that's exactly what he ought to do, to ensure a level playing field by Melbourne?

Or he could just own up to being a shadow of the speed demon we anticipated back in the late 1990s.
Old 23 Jan 2008, 18:30 (Ref:2112148)   #21
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by naughtymutt

Also is there anything stopping the teams from even just having a light on the dash board telling the driver that the wheels are spinning and to get off the gas.
Well this regulation is supposed to.

But they're only words aren't they.

And if you'd thought about tinkering with the ECU or adding your own or taking bits off,then this regulation is supposed to stop you.

"No car may be equipped with a system or device which is capable of preventing the driven wheels from spinning under power or of compensating for excessive throttle demand by the driver."

But again...................

The regulation isn't the mandatory fitting of a standard ECU.The regulation basically forbids traction control.

Last edited by Marbot; 23 Jan 2008 at 18:36.
Old 23 Jan 2008, 19:01 (Ref:2112166)   #22
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Are teams working on start systems? yes! Mike Gascoyne says as much in our next issue - I'll not give you full bit for obvious reasons but...

Quote:
If you went to Jerez or Barcelona [testing] you'll have seen everyone doing starts and smoking tyres and bogging down and so on. But will that be the case come Melbourne? No, because we'll have developed systems that give the driver better control
I have to say I'm astonished at how outspoken some of the enginneers are getting - they all seem very very fed up!
Old 23 Jan 2008, 19:07 (Ref:2112168)   #23
Pingguest
Veteran

Netherlands
Heemstede, The Netherlands
Pingguest should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So, the justification for the standard ECU won't stand even before its introduction. What a shame for the FIA.

Quote:
Whoops!

Every computer system is hackable. It only depends on how much time and money you want and can spend on it. As a matter of fact, the teams are willing and able to spend milions on it.
Old 24 Jan 2008, 22:33 (Ref:2112941)   #24
RotorFan
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
RotorFan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Proof again that the regs should be opened up, not controlled.

While they can't modify the ECU, surely they could piggyback a device, or maybe develop an identical-looking unit which behaves one way on the track and another when the driver pushes a button at the end of the race...?

Fabrizio Giovanardi: I have like a banana - is the yellow car in front - that make me, you know, running like the monkey, running for the banana. When I see yellow in front, I just pushing harder and harder. I want that banana.
Old 25 Jan 2008, 11:43 (Ref:2113293)   #25
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by RotorFan
Proof again that the regs should be opened up, not controlled.

While they can't modify the ECU, surely they could piggyback a device, or maybe develop an identical-looking unit which behaves one way on the track and another when the driver pushes a button at the end of the race...?
In other words, have an ECU after the standard ECU?