Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > My Track Designs

Old 12 Apr 2008, 10:38 (Ref:2175770)   #1
Yannick
Veteran

Yannick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Dental Floss Ring

With the following design, which is still only in single-line-design form, I tried mixing the modern concept of the racetrack as a motorsports stadium and the sweeping highspeed track from the era of classic racing (The influence of Monza and the Österreichring might be instantly recognizable). I called it Dental Floss Ring, because its blot shape looks a bit like those posters of teeth at the dentist's.
Its length should be around 5.8 kilometers and it runs anticlockwise. The track is located in a location that is surrounded by gentle hills, and the outer half-circle of the track is overlooking the infield section, so spectators watching from those hills surrounding the track got a wonderful view, overlooking the infield, kind of like looking into a bowl. Therefore, the bowed straight leading up to the hairpin is slightly uphill. The two corners after the hairpin go through a moderate rise, which peaks at the apex of the long left-hand bend in the upper left corner of the design. That is also the highest point of the track. Next, the track dips down to the right-hander that follows. The lowest level of altitude, infield level, is only reached in the final Esses leading onto the start-finish straight, which are a rather steep downhill section. That should make the pitlane entrance exciting, too ;-)
Now have a look:

I hope you like it.
Old 12 Apr 2008, 11:11 (Ref:2175781)   #2
Iceman13
Racer

Finland
Vantaa, Finland
Iceman13 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That would be FAST!!!
Old 12 Apr 2008, 11:39 (Ref:2175794)   #3
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
AU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman13
That would be FAST!!!
Very fast. I like it.
Old 12 Apr 2008, 11:54 (Ref:2175799)   #4
bio
Veteran

Hungary
Budapest, Hungary, Europe
bio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My immediate reaction was that it seems a little too few - I mean the corners and stuff. Then I realized it's an almost 6 kilometer long track and that put it in a different perspective..

My only real concern here is the overtaking opportunities - I count no real overtaking spot at all. The only possible place where a car can overtake without the other one's mistake seems to be the hairpin after Split time spot #1, but the "straight" section before it seems a bit too short, about 700 meters. All the other corners are too soft and fast for overtaking, but still too curvy for slipstream overtaking. OK, the very fast sweeper down the bottom might produce some slipstream action.

Also, the pit building and pitlane seems way to short for serious car racing events.

But all these are minor points that might easily be corrected to get a really good track.

bio
Old 12 Apr 2008, 12:39 (Ref:2175823)   #5
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Not the most catchy name for a track I've ever heard.........
Old 12 Apr 2008, 15:04 (Ref:2175889)   #6
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
I don't know, bio, it could be quite the slipstreamer of circuit. Also, if that "straight" before the hairpin is only 700 metres, I come up short by 1.0-1.3km on the total lap length compared to what it's supposed to be. So, I think those turns around the back side are quicker than you have in mind, which should make slipstreaming much more possible.
Old 12 Apr 2008, 20:36 (Ref:2176061)   #7
bio
Veteran

Hungary
Budapest, Hungary, Europe
bio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You might be right.

bio
Old 14 Apr 2008, 12:36 (Ref:2177171)   #8
werner
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam, the Netherlands
werner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridwerner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
And on 700 meters you can overtake: for instance the Zandvoort straight is shorter, as is the Jerez straight. Add to that the sharpness of the hairpin.
The section from the hairpin to the end of the section reminds me of Thruxton. That's a good thing; Truxton is a on of the few very fast circuits, onwitch slower cars still look somewhat spectacular driving around on their own. This unlike Monza for instance, whitch only becomes entertaining with slipstream-battles.
To make the last corner a place to overtake, it can either be very slippery and a bit downhill to need harder braking, or, better give it some banking, to allow different lines into the corner, so that you can overtake on the inside and the outside.
Old 14 Apr 2008, 22:16 (Ref:2177616)   #9
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Bio for many, many circuits of Yannicks I have altered his pitlanes, usually from one side to the other and lengthening them. I did it more often than I changed the direction of your circuits

For this one a bit of length to the pitlane is all that it needs, the scale looks pretty good for a very fast circuit.

At full size the final chicane could be open enough to keep a high speed up along the S/F for a chance of overtaking into T1
Accelerating out of T3 and around the arc onto the straight for the Hairpin is plenty long enough for overtaking. Think of the new Hockenheim (right handed hairpin rather than Yannick's left hander) plenty of overtaking there.

The only concern might be the length of the run from the exit of the hairpin to the next overtaking point which will be at the Speed trap on the bottom right.

Other than that, thumbs up ... I like this one
Old 15 Apr 2008, 12:55 (Ref:2178015)   #10
Yannick
Veteran

Yannick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks a lot for the replies, guys. I'm happy that you like the track.

The places I would suggest for trying a passing move are indeed the hairpin, the about 180 degree corner after the speed trap (which, in reply to Werner, is indeed going slightly downhill, before the track drops to its lowest level in the final Esse), and Turn 1 (maybe).

Yes, SBF, my pitlanes still tend to be somewhat out of scale, I have to admit. I'll be editing that in the full version of the design. Thanks for pointing it out.

I've thought about tightening Turn 1 to allow for more overtaking, but I'm not sure about it, yet. Additionally, I've thought about sharpening the kink after the 2nd split times, but I'm not sure either, because that might make it impossible to slipstream all the way around from the hairpin to the entrance of the infield. What do you think?