Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racers Forum

Old 17 Dec 2008, 12:18 (Ref:2356749)   #1
RF_Racer
Veteran

RF_Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Autosport Show - Rip off!!

Just went to their website to book a ticket, I last went in 2007 and IIRC the tickets were like 17 or 18 pounds, few years before was about 14 pounds.

Now they price them at £29 plus 2 pound bookinbg fee!! are they having a laugh at peoples expense? Its a complete rip off and people should boycott the show and show their displeasure and email Autosport!

Do MSA licence holders get any discounts?
Old 17 Dec 2008, 12:43 (Ref:2356762)   #2
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
I think that includes the "live action arena" last year you didn't have to bother with that and it brought the price down nearer £20. MSA licence holders don't get a discount but do get to go on the Thursday and Friday.
Old 17 Dec 2008, 13:39 (Ref:2356800)   #3
gary396
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
gary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
MSA licence holders do get a £5 discount on weekend tickets. In order to book these discounted tickets go to www.autosport-international.com/public/msa then click on "book tickets". Enter the promo code MSAGM09 or ring 0844 579 3188.

Got this from the MSA's Motorsports Now Autumn 2008 edition so it should be accurate - if I've copied it correctly!

Looking at that website it still appears to be £29 less the above £5 (I presume) including live action arena.

Gary

Last edited by gary396; 17 Dec 2008 at 13:46.
Old 17 Dec 2008, 13:46 (Ref:2356804)   #4
RF_Racer
Veteran

Well its still 26 once the 2 pound fee has been added! why did they have to include the live action, that does not interest me in the least!

Last edited by RF_Racer; 17 Dec 2008 at 13:49.
Old 17 Dec 2008, 13:52 (Ref:2356809)   #5
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Say you are a trade member and you will get a ticket for £24.
Don't whinge too much as I made the mistake of letting my aged uncle book our tickets and he was conned into paying £42 each via Haymarket's phone booking service.
Old 17 Dec 2008, 14:43 (Ref:2356839)   #6
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
The £5 discount is for weekend tickets - not Thursday or Friday (and those are the best days to go as there are less people). Last year we didn't bother with the live action arena as frankly it's toss.
Old 17 Dec 2008, 16:33 (Ref:2357066)   #7
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
For Thursday and Friday it's £24 or £32 if you want the live action thingy.
Link here
Old 18 Dec 2008, 16:21 (Ref:2357775)   #8
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
>>>>>>>>Its a complete rip off and people should boycott the show and show their displeasure and email Autosport!

Feel free to start! Attendance isn't compulsory.

It's cost effective for me to meet friends, suppliers and clients there as a visitor compared to trekking round the country to see them. As a day out it's warm, dry, comfortable and actually has better priced catering than most circuits. Although I did think I'd wandered into Crufts last year.

The price stacks up compared to a day out at premiership football matches, British GP, Alton Towers, 20 minutes go-karting etc etc. Be interested in what you think would be a "fair" price for the chance to see F1 cars, rally cars and whatever else floats your boat.

Oh, and I'm nothing to do with ASI, just a realist.

Last edited by midgetman; 18 Dec 2008 at 16:23.
Old 18 Dec 2008, 18:43 (Ref:2357842)   #9
The SpeCTator
Veteran

United Kingdom
South East - England
The SpeCTator should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No doubt these prices were set in better times, but this show and also other events such as the Goodwood Revival have constantly driven prices forward. Both in my opinion will have a shock unless they take a look at reality.
I will not be going to the Autosport Show for the first time.
Old 18 Dec 2008, 19:33 (Ref:2357868)   #10
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
midgetman, the rip off is when we're told that Friday is trade only day and then Haymarket open it up to the general public albeit at an extra rip off price.
Old 18 Dec 2008, 20:36 (Ref:2357896)   #11
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
That is a rip off for me, so I won't be going.
I could have sworn it was free for MSA licence holders last time I went. Have I got that right?

I went to buy stuff, thinking that it would be nice to meet people talk to them about my purchases and perhaps try some items ike seats. However I found they weren't interested in that, rather they just wanted me to buy something quickly and then leave.

The displays are alright and the interviews on stage OK. Nothing special and not that insightful, but an interesting idea. It was just a little weak.
Old 18 Dec 2008, 20:40 (Ref:2357897)   #12
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamAshmore
I could have sworn it was free for MSA licence holders last time I went. Have I got that right?
You've got that wrong, we've always had to pay as far as I know and remember.
Old 18 Dec 2008, 21:18 (Ref:2357926)   #13
RF_Racer
Veteran

I dont mind paying, but paying almost 30 if I did not have a licence I would be bloody annoyed about it! How can they force the rubbish live action upon us? Its all a trick to screw money money out of us.

Even if I do decide to go, I wont be going to the live action arena!

Oh an I wonder how much parking will cost? £12? was £8 2 years ago!

For me to go from london will cost me £30 in petrol, £10 for parking, £26 for tickets, thats almost £70.. then food.. £80!

Its big rip off, I dont think I will bother to go!

Last edited by RF_Racer; 18 Dec 2008 at 21:21.
Old 18 Dec 2008, 21:44 (Ref:2357938)   #14
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Only £10 on food
Quote:
Originally Posted by falcemob
You've got that wrong, we've always had to pay as far as I know and remember.
Maybe I just remember it being cheap.
Old 19 Dec 2008, 00:53 (Ref:2357999)   #15
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
I used to go only because one of my sponsors gave me free tickets.
However after going for a few years I found it all a bit "samey". And if you think the admission price is a "rip off" you wouldn't want to know how much is charged for a stand ! For some of the smaller guys stuck up in a corner, it just can't be cost effective even after writing it off with the tax man.
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 19 Dec 2008, 08:41 (Ref:2358087)   #16
MikeM
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Wilmslow, UK
MikeM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's BRSCC membership that can get you free tickets - I don't think it ever applied to licence holders.
Old 19 Dec 2008, 09:09 (Ref:2358100)   #17
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
It was free for MSA licence holders once I am almost positive, otherwise I would never have gone!
Old 19 Dec 2008, 11:29 (Ref:2358155)   #18
RF_Racer
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamAshmore
Only £10 on food Maybe I just remember it being cheap.
Thats few sandwiches, snacks and drinks from Tescos

But seriously, in the past when show ticket prices were around £12-14 and £5 for parking, I could get the whole trip done for £45-50 I am only talking as far back as 2003-2004 and not the 90's!

I have already sent them an email pointing out my frustration! Those who feel the same I urge you to do the same...
Old 19 Dec 2008, 12:33 (Ref:2358200)   #19
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Just dont go they will soon get the message.
Old 19 Dec 2008, 13:09 (Ref:2358220)   #20
leonidas
Veteran

England
Coventry
leonidas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridleonidas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They added the 'compulsory' live action arena just to hike up the price. It basically means the whole thing has gone up in price by about 50% in two years.

It is just abject greed. Hopefully some of the characters behind it will soon find there is a limit to how much you can rip off the public in a recession.
Old 19 Dec 2008, 13:17 (Ref:2358230)   #21
Benny1664
Racer

Benny1664 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I havent looked at the website as am not interested in going as it is very samey and only really worthwhile if youre looking to buy something or for a new series. But, are they really only selling tickets with live action as I am surprised they can get everyone into the live action in a day?

And as for prices, when the NEC charges well over £200 (going back 5 years) per square metre for a show, no wonder its expensive! I would guess youre looking nearer £300 nowdays. The biggest rip off is the car parking which goes up year on year at an ever increasing rate.

To be fair though, I think that at whatever price, it is a bargain compared to the awful London race car show at Brands which was £12 or £14 for hardly anything in the freezing cold!! That was stupid! When you compare the 2, Autosports wins hands down.
Old 19 Dec 2008, 13:57 (Ref:2358249)   #22
JamesH
Veteran

United Kingdom
Christchurch, Cambs, UK
JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!
I got a letter through the post - thought - I fancy going this year. Need to get some bits, might get a bit of discount etc

Then jaw dropped when I saw the cost. (29+8parking), plus £20 petrol to get there. That is not worth it. Even with discounted stuff. Lots of stuff I am not interested in - Live Action, F1 Car displays, Rally Car displays - really not of interest.

So, not going this year.

Do the organisers not know there is a recession on?
Locost #54 Boldly Leaping where no car has gone before. And then being T-boned. Damn.
Survivor of the 2008 2CV 24h!! 2 engines, one accident, 76mph and rain.
Old 19 Dec 2008, 13:59 (Ref:2358252)   #23
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
if you turn up on the day previously (certainly on trade days) you can get the tickets without the live action arena guff. it does reduce the ticket considerably.

the car park has gone up a quid a year. it wouldn't be a problem if it wasn't on a completely inaccessible train line :/
Old 19 Dec 2008, 14:19 (Ref:2358264)   #24
ko_racer
Rookie

ko_racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
enter: AS04241 for buy one get one free tickets.

Still £31 for 2 tickets but it's better than £62

Last edited by ko_racer; 19 Dec 2008 at 14:26.
Old 19 Dec 2008, 16:38 (Ref:2358339)   #25
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
it wouldn't be a problem if it wasn't on a completely inaccessible train line
Pretty good from London / MK (even Croydon) on the rails. I always go by train. But the price of a london to Brum train ticket really is a rip off