Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > My Track Designs

Old 17 Jan 2009, 14:51 (Ref:2373356)   #1
Yannick
Veteran

Yannick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Phuthai International Circuit

The Phuthai International Circuit is 5.2 kilometers long and located in a region of Western Thailand that's full of tourist resorts.

It was newly constructed only after the horrific tsunami that struck the area a few years ago, even though plans for a motorsports arena had been in the drawers quite some time before that.
The idea was to fill the hotel beds that are empty during the off-season by staging a row of motorsports events then, which are attractive enough for sports enthusiasts from all over the world to come around and visit the place.
Talks with Berne Ecclestone for an F1 GP fell through, however, after it transpired that the amount of revenue from sponsoring and ticket sales, that the promoters calculated with, wouldn't be neither enough to cover Bernie's starting fee, nor be enough to build the additional power plant that would be needed to not break down local electricity completely with the lighting system for the night race that Bernie required.
However, such a lighting system has already been installed upon Bernie's request. They just cannot turn it on to its full power.
Therefore, the OtherWorld(ly) Series is going to host its inaugural Grand Prix of Thailand there during the spring of this year. Phuthai has only got a one year deal so far, to find out what the public interest is like. The SpeedCar series that is centered around Dubai Autodrome is in negotiations for holding a race in Phuthai in the fall, as is GP2 Asia. It is also somewhat likely that the LMS will run a night race here, with the lighting system being run at an affordable level (read: nothing like daylight, but rather at street lamp level).

The track itself runs clockwise and doesn't offer too much elevation changes, but it's mainly consisting of what looks like one huge multi-apex corner that goes around more than 180 degrees. It's so long that its different apexes are actually counted as several corners on the official track map, and it's perceived like that by drivers because the less curved stretches are so fast that they feel like straights with side forces.
But still, as a driver, you need to get your line right upon entry, not to lose time somewhere. You might also view the corner as two multi-apex corners that are separated by the Kink, Turn 5.
All altitude changes are gentle on this track, with the exception of the drop that takes place between the two apexes of the Parabolica, Turn 1. The end of the pit straight is also the highest point of the circuit. After Turn 1, the track descends unnoticeably until it reaches its lowest altitude at Turn 4, on from where it gradually begins to climb again towards the first corner, the only exception being the one and only infield finger. The result of that altitude is that, sitting on the main grandstands opposed to the pits, you can overlook the place pretty well. It's just that you can't see much of the track from this location. But as this is a track that was originally mainly intended for TV audiences, that doesn't come as a surprise.
Over the course of the several apexes of Turn 6, there are some different cambers going on, like at Istambul Park's Turn 8, where the camber of the different apexes isn't always either beginning and abruptly with the corner or fading in and out gradually, but both in different combinations for each of the apexes, requiring special attention from drivers. Of course, it's very important to get through here right, because the hairpin that comes up next, is the track's most prominent overtaking spot.

Old 18 Jan 2009, 02:09 (Ref:2373622)   #2
TilkeWannabe
Veteran

Australia
Geraldton, W.A. or Beached is bro!
TilkeWannabe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not many corners for a track 5.2 kms long. Bloody fast though and a lot of fun BTL of it. Big cojones needed methinks!
Old 18 Jan 2009, 12:18 (Ref:2373838)   #3
nickyf1
Veteran

Scotland
City of Glasgow, Scotland, UK
nickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridnickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i could imagine drivers passing out like when CART went to Texas. Bloody acey howeve!
Old 18 Jan 2009, 23:59 (Ref:2374136)   #4
LuiggiSpeed
Veteran

United States
LuiggiSpeed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So much empty space between areas, it would be a terrible waste in my country,there is room to fit various shapes of standard fangios, bus stops, chicanes. If it's supposed to be 5 km and change ,that thing is huge but for me it will provide for poor racing since the only way to pass is to have more power than your opponent,sanz the hairpin, judging for the size of the project, should be pretty big,but it's a motor track,not a riders track.

If I'm allowed i'd put some stuff in between those huge empty areas.
Old 20 Jan 2009, 01:00 (Ref:2374940)   #5
LuiggiSpeed
Veteran

United States
I am really lazy these days,not even bringing sketchup into the game ,so I'm sorry for the lame quality of this attempt,but I just wanted to vaguely ilustrate my idea,though even I don't like how this sketch came out

Old 20 Jan 2009, 23:12 (Ref:2375688)   #6
Stig
Racer

United States
New Jersey
Stig should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree with Luiggi. I like the high speed nature of the course but there is a lot of empty space that could be used to add more road and keep things interesting.
Old 21 Jan 2009, 10:41 (Ref:2375981)   #7
TilkeWannabe
Veteran

Australia
Geraldton, W.A. or Beached is bro!
TilkeWannabe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm guessing that apart from using the empty space, LuiggiSpeed's changed it to accomodate motorcycle racing too, am I not mistaken Luiggi?

And the quality of the edit is not lame either.
Old 21 Jan 2009, 21:51 (Ref:2376415)   #8
LuiggiSpeed
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by TilkeWannabe
I'm guessing that apart from using the empty space, LuiggiSpeed's changed it to accomodate motorcycle racing too, am I not mistaken Luiggi?

And the quality of the edit is not lame either.
Ohh with such a big track, the " infield" it's still pretty big for truck racing!!!
Old 22 Jan 2009, 17:35 (Ref:2376982)   #9
Aloysius
Racer

Aloysius should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I really like the original track. I'm a fan of simplicity, and this track sure has it. Fast to, great for drafting battles. It might help to have a slower course for club racing, but I really do like the big course.