Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Indycar Series

Old 27 Jan 2009, 05:23 (Ref:2380212)   #1
DanicaFan
Veteran

United States
Stuckeyville
DanicaFan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Michael Andretti to be Danica's Race Strategist

Some pretty cool news.. Michael Andretti will be Danica Patrick's race strategist for this year's IndyCar season. He is replacing Kyle Moyer who was her strategist last year. Kyle will be Marco Andretti's strategist next year. George Klotz will be Tony Kanaan's race strategist, and Kim Green will stay with Hideki Mutoh.

This will be good. I dont think you could have a better guy calling the shots for your race. I think this will make for an even better season.
Old 27 Jan 2009, 08:49 (Ref:2380280)   #2
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Kyle will be Marco Andretti's strategist next year
Just watching Marco at the A1GP.....my strategy for him would be simple....drive faster......he's slow.
Old 27 Jan 2009, 09:33 (Ref:2380334)   #3
F3L
Racer

F3L has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armco Bender
Just watching Marco at the A1GP.....my strategy for him would be simple....drive faster......he's slow.
At the 500 last year he was the most popular. I was at turn one and every time he came past the crowd roared for him. More than Danica. Pity as he is a spoilt child. The only driver in gasoline alley who was surly and did not smile. Lets hope he realises he has loads to learn after his A1GP outings where he has been poor. And his GrandFather suggested he was ready for F1...joke.
Old 27 Jan 2009, 12:17 (Ref:2380471)   #4
DanicaFan
Veteran

United States
Stuckeyville
I already believe Danica will win the Indy 500 this year and be in the running for the IndyCar Champion. I think this move will only solidify this outcome.
Old 27 Jan 2009, 12:27 (Ref:2380481)   #5
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Is this some kind of elaborate windup?
Old 27 Jan 2009, 14:58 (Ref:2380625)   #6
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanicaFan
I already believe Danica will win the Indy 500 this year and be in the running for the IndyCar Champion. I think this move will only solidify this outcome.
Mate I appreciate you are a big Indy car fan and all which I respect don't get me wrong but IMO just because Danica won a fuel finish race on an oval and lucked into the win with help of her strategy as is often the case in oval racing am I missing something that she is going to be champion this year and win the Indy 500? She needs to stop making rookie mistakes and realize its not all about her and just get on with it. don't get me wrong she's the best female racer there has been.
Old 27 Jan 2009, 15:58 (Ref:2380673)   #7
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
What reasoning do you use to back that up?
Old 27 Jan 2009, 17:25 (Ref:2380772)   #8
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
Quote:
And his GrandFather suggested he was ready for F1...joke.

Hilarious........Unless Grandpappy buys an F1 team.....he will never even sit in one......
Old 27 Jan 2009, 18:14 (Ref:2380809)   #9
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It's weird with Marco. In 2006 in the Indy 500 he showed huge driving skill with the amount of times he saved slides on the dirty lines when better drivers would have been collected in the wall...And then on the road courses showing a lot of promise. Since then he's been a joke and can't drive ovals and would usually retire. 2009 is Marco's make or break year really if he does't win a couple of races and contend regular on ovals I can't see how anyone in F1 will be interested.
Old 27 Jan 2009, 18:23 (Ref:2380823)   #10
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armco Bender
Hilarious........Unless Grandpappy buys an F1 team.....he will never even sit in one......
I believe he did do a little test with Honda F1 2-3 years ago.

Everyone knows he doesn't have the goods. I don't believe he would have ever been heard from had not he had the last name.
Old 27 Jan 2009, 18:24 (Ref:2380824)   #11
johntt
Veteran

England
England
johntt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit.' And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." -Ayrton Senna
Old 28 Jan 2009, 05:43 (Ref:2381175)   #12
Leighton Irwin
Veteran

Canada
Victoria Harbour (on Georgian Bay)
Leighton Irwin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

DP to MA: 'Whine, complain, whine, b--ch, whine, complain.

MA to DP: Shut up and drive the ------- thing!
Old 28 Jan 2009, 07:13 (Ref:2381194)   #13
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainstar
What reasoning do you use to back that up?
Good luck getting an answer to that one. I asked that at the end of October, in the stickied Nikon 300 thread, but got no response.

http://tentenths.com/forum/showthrea...=110759&page=4
Old 28 Jan 2009, 11:08 (Ref:2381336)   #14
johntt
Veteran

England
England
Quote:
Originally Posted by luke
Mate I appreciate you are a big Indy car fan and all which I respect don't get me wrong but IMO just because Danica won a fuel finish race on an oval and lucked into the win with help of her strategy as is often the case in oval racing am I missing something that she is going to be champion this year and win the Indy 500? She needs to stop making rookie mistakes and realize its not all about her and just get on with it. don't get me wrong she's the best female racer there has been.
Ellen Lohr won DTM races, Michele Mouton won a WRC round and the Pikes Peak Hillclimb, Katherine Legge won in Atlantics on her debut (while Danica didn't win anything in cars until her fuel-mileage win at Motegi last year).

Danica is not the best female racer driver there has been.
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit.' And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." -Ayrton Senna
Old 28 Jan 2009, 11:58 (Ref:2381356)   #15
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Not by a long shot.
Old 28 Jan 2009, 12:18 (Ref:2381365)   #16
DanicaFan
Veteran

United States
Stuckeyville
Sorry guys, Danica is the best female driver now, that ever has been, and ever will be. Give this woman credit, she can drive!!!
Old 28 Jan 2009, 12:29 (Ref:2381371)   #17
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

She can drive yes. Quite well at times.

But what do you base your assertions that she is the best ever female driver on? It is a dramatic statement.
Old 28 Jan 2009, 16:46 (Ref:2381520)   #18
F3L
Racer

F3L has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Sorry guys, Danica is the best female driver now, that ever has been, and ever will be. Give this woman credit, she can drive!!!
I would suggest that Ana Beatriz will prove a faster driver on road and street courses when she gets her chance.
Old 28 Jan 2009, 16:48 (Ref:2381521)   #19
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
Quote:
What about Yvonne Miller? She managed to wrest the WTCC crown from Andy Priaulx. No mean feat.
Old 28 Jan 2009, 16:55 (Ref:2381530)   #20
johntt
Veteran

England
England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Hans
What about Yvonne Miller? She managed to wrest the WTCC crown from Andy Priaulx. No mean feat.
Very clever....
Old 28 Jan 2009, 19:40 (Ref:2381634)   #21
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Wow...this is even more ridiculous than normal. You tend to be completely unrealistic with the extent of her achievements and standards at the best of times, but this is on a new level.

Quote:
Give this woman credit, she can drive!!!
Nobody is claiming she is absolutely terrible, but rather that she is isn't brilliant. She can drive. She isn't useless. There have been worse before, thare are currently worse, and there will presumably be worse in the future (this latter is an assumption on my part, since I cannot see the future). It is possible to think that Danica is not terrible but yet not think she is amazing. It is not a choice between useless and genius: there is all the ground inbetween to pick from.

Quote:
Danica is the best female driver now, that ever has been, and ever will be.
It amazing how totally detached from sanity you appear to be with regards Danica. Even the most concievable of the three claims is a tad out there.

Quote:
Danica is the best female driver now
I'll give you that Danica is the best female driver now. In all reality, I don't think that claim is actually supportable, but I recognise there is no hope at all of getting anywhere without capitulating on this point. Even then, I don't think there is hope really (you are quite clearly completely blind to any rational assessment of Danica).

Quote:
Danica is the best female driver...that ever has been
On what basis do you make this comment? There have been many women who have clearly displayed more talent, and have achieved more, than Danica has. This is quite clearly true.

Tell you what, though, I'll take the displaying more talent out of the equation. It could be said that is not properly quantifiable, so let us just work on the basis of results being the only real thing we can rely on as an indicator of how good a driver is.

Danica has not achieved very much: absolutely not as much as some other women have. This is just true.

Quote:
Danica is the best female driver...that...ever will be
So you are into reading the future? You are saying that Danica is the absolute pinnacle of talent and achievement reachable by womankind in motorsport? Danica is their limit? That is so demeaning and insulting, on multiple levels, that it leaves me having to decide between laughing or crying.

I'll keep this one simple, though: please explain to us how it is you are capable of seeing the future. To claim that somebody is the greatest at something that will ever be is an extreme one: to claim to have intimate and exact knowledge of the entire future of everything is quite difficult to give credibility to.

I'm still waiting on a response to my post in the Nikon 300 thread, so I'll give you another opportunity here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutton
Okay, just to make sure we are on the same page, I am going to try to make this as clear as possible. Danica has the following things in her favour, according to you:

1) She is one of the top drivers in the IRL.
2) She is in one of the top teams in the IRL.
3) She cannot ask for a better team owner.
4) She has one of the best crew chiefs in the league.

If all of these statements are taken to be true, how do we explain that she isn't at least in the region of fighting for the championship in the latter part of seasons (or, at least, consistently a front-runner in the races)?

You go on to say, with confidence, that next year she will win multiple races and be a championship contender to the end. I can see how you would come to this conclusion given, presumably, you take the above 4 statements to all be true.

Now, the problem is Danica's results and performances to date would suggest that all 4 cannot be true. They would also certainly not lead one to be able to confidently predict that next year she will be a multiple race winner and championship contender to the end.

I ask you to provide me your reasons for thinking she will be a multiple race winner and championship contender to the end on the basis of her on-track results and performances to date. That is to say, not simply relying on this statement being justified on the basis of accepting all 4 statements being inherently true whilst ignoring the actual results of reality on the ground.

You seem to be desperately screaming for us to acknowledge that she can drive, and al lthat. It is like you are harbouring under some dellusion that we are all saying she is utter rubbish. This is not true. Nobody is saying she is absolutely terrible: she is better than many drivers have been, and better than many currently are. That is not in question. What we are saying is that she isn't all that brilliant: we base this on her current exploits and achievements to date - we are not the beating heart of some anti-Danica freedom movement.

The problem is you have gone completely off the planet in the opposite direction. You make incredible claims on Danica's ability and achievements without providing any reasons for why you think it. If you are going to claim huge claims, then you are going to have to accept that people are going to want to see some rational justification for them.

You say that Danica is going to win the Indy 500 this year, as well as multiple others, and be a true contender for the Indy title. You also claim she is the best female driver now, that has ever been, and ever will be. These are massive claims with, as far as I can see, no justification.

The only way a person could claim these things and truly believe them, and you seem to, is for it all to be a matter of faith akin to that of faith in God. I'm not saying you her as God, or anything, but you do appear to be operating on a faith-based system for you to be able to think and claim the things you do regarding Danica.

If, in fact, you are not operating on a faith-based system with regards Danica, but instead iti s based on logical, reason, and objective evidence, then, please, I implore you, share it with us.

Last edited by Dutton; 28 Jan 2009 at 19:50.
Old 28 Jan 2009, 19:54 (Ref:2381638)   #22
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
How will Michael's strategic imput help Danica win the 500? It didn't help Michael win the 500. That is just a little joke because I don't think that Michael will be that bad at strategy.

Overall, based on previous evidence Danica is not likely to win the 500 and especially not the championship. She has been consistently out performed by team mates and others from other teams. What has changed. She isn't rubbish and it isn't impossible, just unlikely. There is nothing to suggest otherwise.
Old 28 Jan 2009, 22:01 (Ref:2381701)   #23
DanicaFan
Veteran

United States
Stuckeyville
Dutton,

I will start out with Danica's rookie year in the IRL which was phenomenal..

● Won Bombardier Rookie of the Year Award after finishing 12th in IndyCar Series standings for Rahal Letterman Racing.
● Recorded two top-five and seven top-10 finishes with best finish of fourth (Motegi and Indianapolis).
● Earned three pole positions (Kansas, Kentucky, Chicagoland) to tie Tomas Scheckter's rookie record for pole positions in a season.
● Started fourth and finished fourth at 89th Indianapolis 500 and earned Chase Rookie of the Year honors. The highest starting and finishing position for a woman driver in the event's history. Led 19 laps, the first woman to lead at Indianapolis.

Every year she improves on her championship points standings..

2005 - 12th place
2006 -9th place
2007 -7th place
2008 - 6th place

2008 was another great year for her. Her first IndyCar win at Twin Ring Motegi. The only female to ever win an IRL Race.
She had 10 top 10 finishes and finished 6th in the standings.

She has 64 starts, 1 win, 11 Top 5's, 36 Top 10's, 3 poles.

I would have to say she is very successful.

Last edited by DanicaFan; 28 Jan 2009 at 22:06.
Old 28 Jan 2009, 22:14 (Ref:2381705)   #24
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
There is still quite a jump to winning the championship. I don't think the word "very" is apt, I'd go for "quite".

There is a pattern in your stats:
2005 - 12th place
2006 -9th place (3 places better)
2007 -7th place (2 places better)
2008 - 6th place (1 places better)
To win the championship is a jump of five places! Whereas it could well be an improvement of 0 places. Although these stats are just for fun, but possibly demonstrates how it gets harder to improve.

Last edited by Adam43; 28 Jan 2009 at 22:16.
Old 28 Jan 2009, 22:31 (Ref:2381714)   #25
andy_b
Veteran

Canada
Vancouver (I escaped from UK)
andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!
thread of the year! You sure this isn't a wind-up. I need to send this to Midweek Motorsports on RLM! Mrs Hospital has her moments, but she simply is not consistant or have enough technical ability...something I'd alsmost direct at her new race engineer.

Danica fan - you forgor Tiffany Dell. She was a great racer, couple of F1 starts in the 70's. She did get the blame for Mansell not seeing a bloody big bridge at Donington in Touring Cars though