Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 6 Jul 2001, 06:27 (Ref:113633)   #1
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
Memories...

I just thought that so many of you must have great stories to tell from races past, and that it might be interesting to share a few.

Personally, my greatest moment was on Belle Isle early on a Friday morning. The vendors weren't even completely set up yet and there was hardly anybody there. I made my way to the almost-deserted paddock and ran into Rick Mears. Now, he's been my "hero" since childhood, and meeting him was in itself a special moment. But we stood there and talked for quite awhile. He shared with me memories from all four Indy victories, we talked about his boy's racing, we talked about alot of things. He's a hell of a guy.

On-track, I'll never forget Unser Jr. and Pruett at Michigan. Little Al came out of four in the lead and I thought the race was his.
Old 7 Jul 2001, 05:02 (Ref:113992)   #2
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Seeing Montoya yelling at his girl friend to F-off, and then moments later seeing them kissing each other maddly.
Old 7 Jul 2001, 11:32 (Ref:114059)   #3
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
My memories only last back to '96. Although there are some good ones in there.

Alex Zanardi has provided quite a few. THAT pass on Herta at the top of the corkscrew - '96. His back to front drive at Cleveland - '97. Same again at Long Beach - '98. Giving it to Arnd Meier after Rio '98, for costing him the win. His pass on Andretti to win in Toronto - '98. Countless celebrations (re: doughnuts). A various number of poor translations of Italian to American English - "maybe if everyone roots me, I will have a chance."

However, my favourite Zanardi moment was at Laguna Seca in 1997. Jimmy Vasser won the race and Alex finished third, wrapping up the championship. The team mates were so excited, they toured the whole cool down lap side by side, only to touch at turn 9, spinning Vasser off into the sand. The winner was stranded out on the track.

There have been a few others. Tracy and Barry Green having a fight in the pits at Houston. Alex Barron parking his car on top of Bryan Herta's at Road America. Andretti barrel-rolling along the back straight at Mid-Ohio. And countless others that I can't remember at the moment.
Old 7 Jul 2001, 17:18 (Ref:114130)   #4
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A rainy race in Vancouver begun under caution when Bobby Unser had been saying for about 15 laps that race drivers are "paid the big bucks" and should race in the rain regardless of the danger ... and some hapless pitlane interviewer passing this question on to My Gil, who turned to him and said in honest disgust, "Forgive me, but that is the stupidest question I have ever heard," and walking away leaving both the reporter and Uncle Bobby in the commentary booth spluttering for a reply. Well said, Gil!

Gil's spinning on the parade lap in Motegi, and radioing back to his concerned crew, "Shut up, I know what I'm doing!"

Gil getting the pole and then going upside down in a dirt trap, where he spoke calmly to his crew - the only calm person in earshot!

And doubtless many more.
Old 7 Jul 2001, 19:20 (Ref:114149)   #5
LynxSat.com
Rookie

LynxSat.com should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not all CART but hopefully they'll make you laugh...

The look on the "guests" faces at this years Indy 500 after the nation anthem (sorry if I offend, but it was the look that was funny, not what happened).

Michael Andretti after his crash with Paul Tracy at Chicargo: "oh that guys an ********!"

An IRL driver yelling over the radio "you f*****g w****r" live on TV - as he's flying through the air.

Paul Tracy telling Barry Green his cars "a pile of s**t" over the radio.

Michael Schumacher being taken out the FFord Festival in the heat by Andrew Gilbert-Scott (I think).

Juan Montoya's mechanic at Malaysia GP 2001 on the warm-up lap: "If the car's f****d, leave it where it is and get your arse back here for the spare" Montoya: "what?", Mechanic: "GET BACK HERE NOW!" (unfortunately unless you've got bernie-vision you won't know about that).

Personally, C of C at Brands telling us novices not to try to hard for the win because we didn't know the unique nature of the track, we [the novices] filled the top six places

As you can see, I like it when the directors not to quick on the take up

I could go on all day but won't...
Old 10 Jul 2001, 17:42 (Ref:115328)   #6
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
Another great moment for me was when I had the opportunity to meet Jackie Stewart at the Detroit GP. He was there attempting to woo deFerran to his upstart F1 team. Very friendly man, more than happy to sign an autograph for me.

Talking to Parker Johnstone just after he captured the Michigan pole was pretty cool. Now, there's a nice guy if ever there was one.

Andre Ribiero motioning for me to come into the Penske garage so he could sign an autograph for me. I got to walk through the barriers and watch the guys working on the car. Felt like I was standing on hallowed ground.

The GoodYear techs at Michigan sending me home with the left-rear tire from Unser Jr's winning IROC car. Turned it into a nice coffee table.
Old 11 Jul 2001, 04:55 (Ref:115486)   #7
Ray Bell
Veteran

Ray Bell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I know it's not CART or NASCAR, but this one stands out for me...

When the organisers of the Rose City 10,000, at Winton in Australia, arranged for James Hunt to drive a F5000 Elfin in their race, he became a real celebrity at the event. This meant he was in demand for interviews etc, and right up to race start time this was going on...

But poor James had yet to have his nervous pee prior to getting into the car... so he simply strolled down to the ambulance parked on the infield and poured out the excess right there!

Last edited by Ray Bell; 11 Jul 2001 at 04:57.
Old 11 Jul 2001, 21:50 (Ref:115860)   #8
Joey Jo Jo
Rookie

Joey Jo Jo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My favorite memory is going to the first race of the season in Miami as a guest of Players/Forsythe racing. Lenny Kravitz was also a guest of the team. Not only did I get to meet him, but the team took Greg Moore's final victory party to Lenny's south beach home.
That was a real cool party!!
Another treat was that Greg brought his friend Dario with too.
Attached Thumbnails
j trophy 23.jpg  
Old 12 Jul 2001, 16:52 (Ref:116185)   #9
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
Wow! I eat my hat.
Old 23 Jul 2001, 21:33 (Ref:120738)   #10
Guy Goddard
Racer

Guy Goddard should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Being a guest at laguna Seca in 93 when Mansell came across and showed just how much impact he had on motorsport and then he took pole which meant another 50,000 people turned up.
I thought as the race started if he wins we ain't getting out of here for hours, he did and I missed my flight, stunning drive though.
Old 2 Aug 2001, 03:10 (Ref:125053)   #11
Jimmyz360
Rookie

Jimmyz360 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
well i was part of the new cart fanatics program which draws people who bought tickets and lets them meet one of the drivers on the grid at every race. I won this thing and got to meet my favorite driver Gil De Ferran who i followed all last year (1st year watching CART) and i got to talk to him and be there as he prepares to race at Long Beach this year...will remember that a lot...got his autograph and picture. well i guess its my lotto that ill win with a 1 outa 100,000 people chance
Old 2 Aug 2001, 06:00 (Ref:125074)   #12
Dave S
Racer

Dave S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Meeting Moss & Jim Hall at Sports car meet.
Meeting Mario at Laguna during a test weekend the first year of the Newman Racing Team. A very gracious man. I rode my bicycle to the track after hearing that big Group 7 roaring & was let into the team area.
Meeting Mikey later when he was in Super V & wondering if this Putz realy was related to Mario.
Meeting Al jr in 82 with ice cream smeared on his face, sneaking a smoke so Sr wouldn't catch him. (Can-Am that he won, then 1st year for Champ at Laguna in 83 Jr as a rookie in series was the defending race winner.