Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > My Track Designs

Old 12 May 2010, 13:58 (Ref:2689198)   #1
Yannick
Veteran

Yannick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yilmiz - a track proposal for a ficticious series

Hello MyTrackers,

yes, it's been a while since my previous design. And I have to admit that the fact that I've doodled around a bit today is just down to the fact that I lay in bed on a sick day - otherwise I just would not have had the time for this.

At the time the OtherWorld(ly) Series, my fictional worldwide hybrid of IndyCar and F1, went into administration after most of its participating teams had to close down as a result of the credit crunch, the series had been planning several new events. Then, the series already consisted of permanent and non-permanent road circuits, street circuits, ovals or oval-like circuits and a single snowmobile circuit. Chassis manufacturers used to deliver 4 different kinds of car specifications to the teams: the high downforce kit, the low downforce kit, the speedway kit and the snowmobile kit.
To be able to crown a Snowmobile Champion as part of the series as well, just like IndyCar will be doing this year with their Road Circuit Champion and their Oval Track Champion, car manufacturers insisted on having further snowmobile tracks than the single one on the calendar, which used to host the Grand Prix of Antarctica (which was one of the so-called cruise ship events).

Hence, in the dying stages of the Series, a new snowmobile event in the north Greenland was developed near Qaanaq, the track for which I've posted on here at least a year ago. The concept for another snowmobile track in an abandoned downhill skiing area in Austria, which had fallen dry or rather warm as a consequence to the climate change, was in its planning stages. That project ran into all sorts of trouble, both with environmentalists behaving environmental and construction engineers fearing a flooding of the proposed pitlane by the melting snow.

But there was also a less over-the-top, a rather serious new track in its planning stages when the Series went under. The proposal for this one, I'd like to present to you now.

According to the rule that every great new FIA Grade 1 licensed racetrack must be located in Turkey because it's easier to get into ownership of it without paying anything at all for the track's construction when a trophy at an FIA sanctioned event there is being presented by a member of the government of a so-called "unacknowledged state", this clockwise circuit of 6.2 kilometers in length was meant to be located in Turkey as well. Locals seemed to could not have cared less about it, however, so after the OtherWorld(ly) Series went under, the track was not built.

It was meant to be run by cars in their low downforce kit, mainly because of its straights.

Track description:
Turns 1, 2 and 3 is a tight right-left-left combination and the track's first overtaking opportunity. Ideally, it should be possible to go through here in 3rd gear. Accellerating out through Turn 3 onto the next straight, the track leads slightly downhill, only to dip at the lowest point on the track which comes right after the sharp right-hander Turn 4, which depending on setup is either a 3rd gear or a 2nd gear corner. Turn 4 is of course another overtaking opportunity.
After Turn 4, the track goes steeply uphill toward the kink of Turn 5, at the apex of which there is a crest. On from there, we follow the track in a straight line, dipping ever so slightly into the infield. The corner at the end of the straight, Turn 6, is that slowly and then rapidly tightening corner that allows for multiple different racing lines. Despite being located basically to the back of the paddock, Turn 6 sits considerably lower than the pit straight and can be easily observed from the main grandstands. It is yet another overtaking opportunity, especially if you have engaged yourself in some slipstreaming on the straight leading towards it. I cannot give any gearshift information on Turn 6 because that depends on your preferred racing line going through it.
Then, after the last apex of Turn 6, the track slowly leads upwards again along another straight, at the end of which there is Turn 7, an assymetrical bend going around 180 degrees plus which is banked at a moderate angle of 6 degrees, enabling drivers to go full throttle if they dare. It is possible to overtake in the banked Turn 7 by slipstreaming but something like this is considered a very bold move. Turns 8 and 9 at the end of the next straight are modelled on the first half of the Bus Stop at Watkins Glen and the gearshift is adjusted accordingly. Overtaking into this section is possible, of course, and the long straight leading up to it encourages slipstreaming.
Taking the kink of Turn 10 and the long right-hander Turn 11 in a continuous racing line shall lead a driver back onto the main straight and one lap of Yilmiz is complete.
It should be noted that cars reach up to 7th gear on every one of those long straights of the circuit, so this track is most definitely on the fast side of things.
Recommended spectator spots include the main grandstand overlooking the start-finish area, Turn 6 and the final section, the grandstand on the outside of the entry to Turn 1, the natural slope for general admission ticket holders on the outside of the Bus Stop, Turn 8, overlooking both Turn 6 and giving a backview of the starting area, the infield of the banked Turn 7 for that oval experience and the stands on the entrance to Turn 5 from where you can view cars all the way running down from the 1st chicane towards Turn 4, overlooking its braking zone and then run further away into the infield towards Turn 6. Be aware, however, that the remote location of the latter stand is akin to Hockenheim's old Ostkurve.

I hope you like this circuit and maybe want to build it somewhere under a different name. ;-)
Old 13 May 2010, 13:42 (Ref:2689781)   #2
Tathrim
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lancaster/Wallingford
Tathrim should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nice track, screams Osterreichring to me.
Old 13 May 2010, 14:10 (Ref:2689794)   #3
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
Yep, totally Osterreichring, which is never a bad thing. The lonnnng T8 is just incredible.

Selby