Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > My Track Designs

Old 13 Jul 2010, 07:42 (Ref:2725903)   #1
Yannick
Veteran

Yannick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Doodle Series, Part 2

It's time now to show you guys some track sketches that I have come up with in recent months. Most of them were created when just doodling around with Paint.
In a way, it's a continuation of The Doodle Series http://tentenths.com/forum/showthread.php?t=118687

The basic rules of the 1st Doodle Series also apply for this one:
Quote:
Edits and / or full fledged versions of these blot shapes are very welcome, since I currently don't have the time to draw them by myself. If you've got ideas for elevation changes, feel free to write about them as well.

I will post them in chronological order of creation over the next few weeks.

Usually, there is a small arrow in the doodle pointing out the start finish line and the direction of travel.
Here are the first 4 entries in the calendar:

Slightly acentric on the drawing board, this is me trying to come up with something simple

This one is meant to be highspeed - and it might even be on public roads

This one largely consists of an extremely long runway and part of a Panorama Road, looking down from a mountain
That's quite a departure for me, I must add.

Here, I just doodled around and this test track came out. I guess it's quite overblown (also a departure for me), but what do you think?

Thanks in advance for your replies, discussing these tracks.
Old 13 Jul 2010, 11:12 (Ref:2726026)   #2
Quintin03
Veteran

Netherlands
Quintin03 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The second one reminds me of the one you posted in post 13 of the first series.

I like them all though. The first could be a great modified airfield, the third is just awesome and the last is simply crazy. I think the last could be a banked circular test track with all the in/outfield sections without changing much at all.
Old 13 Jul 2010, 14:59 (Ref:2726137)   #3
dyewat808
Veteran

United Kingdom
dyewat808 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hehe, I genuinely like the first I must say. Agree with Quintin regarding it being a possible airfield track.
Old 15 Jul 2010, 13:08 (Ref:2727105)   #4
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
1st and 2nd are awesome. The next two have some great areas but just seem slightly too long for my tastes

Here's my 2 efforts:

Selby
Attached Thumbnails
doodle1.JPG   doodle2.JPG  
Old 30 Jul 2010, 07:08 (Ref:2735641)   #5
Yannick
Veteran

Hello readers,

now it's time for the 2nd batch of tracks in the 2nd edition of the Doodle Series. I'm sorry I didn't find the time to post this sooner, but I guess you all know what different priorities are like.
And yes, Quintin03, you're right: #2 was an accidental repost of a track I didn't remember that I had already posted it before.
Thank you very much to all of you for your replies.
ECW Dan Selby, your #1 track there is a real classic. Truly wonderful. It deserves to become a full fledged design of a traditional circuit in the style of Watkins Glen. It really should not be hidden so deep in this thread but highlighted on its own.

So here are my next few offerings

An American style road circuit that might have been consisting of dirt roads in the old days

A bit two-faced, this track requires a compromise in your car setup

To be honest, this one is only here for completeness sake, but it's fast and simple, so maybe you like it.

A nonpermanent but fast street circuit
Old 30 Jul 2010, 14:42 (Ref:2735816)   #6
resir014
Rookie

Indonesia
Indonesia
resir014 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Here's mine.

I have some hand-drawn doodles, but haven't scanned them yet.

Last edited by resir014; 30 Jul 2010 at 14:55.
Old 4 Aug 2010, 13:25 (Ref:2739381)   #7
Yannick
Veteran

Thank you resir014 for your contribution. Your track might work even better in clockwise direction.

I'll wait a little until posting my next batch of tracks because the previous ones have yet to receive some comments. Thanks in advance for keeping them coming.
Old 8 Aug 2010, 15:45 (Ref:2741392)   #8
resir014
Rookie

Indonesia
Indonesia
More doodles.

Old 11 Aug 2010, 11:24 (Ref:2742997)   #9
Yannick
Veteran

ResiR, there is a runoff problem at the Montlhery-style roval you have posted - if it's indeed being run in the direction you have outlined.

And here are the final 5 rounds of the Series:

With this one, I tried out a setup that has the 1st lap differing from the rest of the race.
The extension is not run at the start. I'm not sure if it's just a club track or bigger.

This autodrome really was just a quick sketch out of boredom. In fact, I was surprised to see the outcome was a state of the art Grand Prix circuit facility.

This is a short club track

It's not an air field track despite its parallel straights, but an airfield would have more variation in the corners which this one does not have.
It's like an oval with a hairpin. Maybe it's just a weird concept. What do you think?

Probably an old Grand Prix circuit in the woods somewhere, looking at this one made me think I should really post my new doodles again in the 1st place. Do you like it?

Feel free to comment! Thanks.
Old 11 Aug 2010, 15:14 (Ref:2743078)   #10
dyewat808
Veteran

United Kingdom
I like the first one - interesting concept of the first lap being different from the rest of the race. I'd like to see that implemented in real-life, perhaps having chicanes being run at certain times.

And I like the oval-with-hairpin-but-not-airport track as well. Those are my two favourites.

Here are two of my mine - both run clockwise:
Attached Thumbnails
doodle1.JPG   doodle2.JPG  

Last edited by dyewat808; 11 Aug 2010 at 15:22.
Old 11 Aug 2010, 21:32 (Ref:2743249)   #11
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
Oh man, both of those 2 are pretty special.

The first has easily 4 overtaking spots and is so high speed. The idea I guess would be that it's very low downforce, but then you have the esses at the end to make it a bit interesting.

The second at a glance looks like a really stripped down Nurburgring, which is cool in my eyes. Not as many ideal overtaking opportunities, but I think the first lap would be very fun to watch. I'd consider making the left king at T4 a little easier so cars could follow closely in to the hairpin alá Hockenheimring.

Nice work!

Selby
Old 14 Aug 2010, 14:59 (Ref:2744541)   #12
resir014
Rookie

Indonesia
Indonesia
So I edited my previous doodle, and here it is.

Old 14 Aug 2010, 16:23 (Ref:2744559)   #13
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
It's safe to say I love all of them ones above. The final one is really unique and kind of looks like what the A1 Ring should have been (if it couldn't have been its former self, of course).

Selby
Old 16 Aug 2010, 10:33 (Ref:2745124)   #14
dyewat808
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECW Dan Selby View Post
Oh man, both of those 2 are pretty special.

The first has easily 4 overtaking spots and is so high speed. The idea I guess would be that it's very low downforce, but then you have the esses at the end to make it a bit interesting.

The second at a glance looks like a really stripped down Nurburgring, which is cool in my eyes. Not as many ideal overtaking opportunities, but I think the first lap would be very fun to watch. I'd consider making the left king at T4 a little easier so cars could follow closely in to the hairpin alá Hockenheimring.

Nice work!

Selby
Thanks - always nice to hear such great feedback!

On the recent tracks, I luv 'em all. I like the curved pit lane and pit straight as well on the last one - Long Beach style!
Old 17 Aug 2010, 06:00 (Ref:2745714)   #15
resir014
Rookie

Indonesia
Indonesia
Trying to make myself a simple one.

Don't know what this would be, but to me it looks like a simple half-road-half-track club circuit.

Old 12 Sep 2010, 14:37 (Ref:2758156)   #16
dyewat808
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nice, like that one, mix of quick corners, and the slightly more technical last two corners.

Another one from me:
Attached Thumbnails
doodle3.JPG