Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 26 Jul 2010, 11:33 (Ref:2733246)   #1
deano2
Racer

deano2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Dessert 2011 Carrera Cup!

porsche are bringing back carrera cup in 2011 but will they get enough entries????
Old 26 Jul 2010, 22:10 (Ref:2733673)   #2
Just Do It!
Veteran

Just Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
A couple of people feel that it could be 12 months too soon. Will the cars be expensive with Porsche tax on the parts making it mega-costly to race, or has realism sunk in?
Old 26 Jul 2010, 22:26 (Ref:2733679)   #3
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Someone got a link to an announcement?
Old 26 Jul 2010, 23:59 (Ref:2733714)   #4
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich07 View Post
No announcement yet but the rumour mill is running in overdrive!
Old 27 Jul 2010, 00:07 (Ref:2733715)   #5
cptkablamo
Veteran

Australia
cptkablamo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcptkablamo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
To replace the GT3 Cup?

I can easily see Australia supporting 3 national sportscar series, 2 of which are singled the same make...
Old 27 Jul 2010, 02:25 (Ref:2733745)   #6
Richard Craill
Racer

Australia
Adelaide
Richard Craill should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by cptkablamo View Post
To replace the GT3 Cup?

I can easily see Australia supporting 3 national sportscar series, 2 of which are singled the same make...
The GT3 Cup Challenge is going nowhere. Carrera Cup is / was / will be / etc / targeted at a different market. I doubt there would be more than one or two people from GT3CC that would go to a new Carrera Cup because the philosophy of the two series' are so different.
Old 27 Jul 2010, 02:56 (Ref:2733753)   #7
Pro Racer
Veteran

Australia
Earth
Pro Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i used to like the Carrera cup, would be good to see it back.
Old 27 Jul 2010, 03:29 (Ref:2733770)   #8
Skid Marks
Rookie

Skid Marks should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
To replace the GT3 Cup?

If it happens (and its a very big if) they'd happily co-exist. Very different target in terms of drivers.

As RC said, there might be a little cannibalisation from GT3CC but I wold suspect more from another place.

Looking at the Morgan Park entry list for GT3CC (20 cars is the rumour), no more than a couple would be likely and even then, memories or having moved on in life might prevent them from having another taste.

I have no idea about this but the I would think that the cars will be OK in terms of price.

As for parts costs, I would suggest some deep thinking is going on. Who knows where it would end up but I'm sure those that are involved understand the issues.

As for getting enough entries, I agree it will be a tough ask. My guess is that Porsche would not start something that does not have legs.

A 2010 spec car was at Sandown last Friday being driven by Jim Richards. A bit of shakedown and making noise exercise. A very nice bit of gear.

If I could get out of my 944 at a reasonable price ...
Old 27 Jul 2010, 03:54 (Ref:2733774)   #9
inpitlane
Veteran

inpitlane should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
They had the new car at Sandown on Friday for Richo to test. (Picture here) No announcement yet but I would imagine either at PI or Bathurst.
I'm told they are already booked in for the Grand Prix.
It will be interesting to see what effect this might have on the GT series and running their rounds with the V8s.
Last time I spoke to someone from Porsche they had no problems sharing the bill with AGTC, but whether V8s will want two Sportscar categories on the card may be another matter.
Old 27 Jul 2010, 04:18 (Ref:2733788)   #10
Sheep Stations
Veteran

Australia
Australia
Sheep Stations should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
To replace the GT3 Cup?

Huh? 'Australia' supporting GT3CC??? who are you kidding?

The 20 blokes having a crack at Morgan Park are self-funded and playing very happily in a category that hasn't increased fees or costs in 3 years and invests all monies back into that category. Pays the silly CAMS fees, invests in local economies with accom and restaurants etc, spends with promotors and track hire etc etc...

Give me a break. Get 20 Ferrari drivers together and get something started...yeah, sure.
Old 27 Jul 2010, 04:26 (Ref:2733789)   #11
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Usually i'd be of the opinion "Another single make category, just what we need. The original died for a reason...." but given the fact that the likes of the AGT have seemingly an anti-competition policy, a professional Carrera Cup allowing out-of-work V8 drivers a place to race is just what we need (maybe they could include 430 Challenge Ferrari's though )
Old 27 Jul 2010, 04:31 (Ref:2733791)   #12
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
So who exactly has indicated that they have the $300k+ to pay for a season in this category?

Will the old 997 CC cars be grandfathered in, or do teams have to run the newbies from day dot?
#CANCERSUCKS
Old 27 Jul 2010, 06:33 (Ref:2733812)   #13
Sheep Stations
Veteran

Australia
Australia
It's not Carrera Cup if they're not the new rigs...the old cup cars have a home, GT3 Cup Challenge...or AGT if you are crap at standing starts.
Old 27 Jul 2010, 06:51 (Ref:2733818)   #14
cptkablamo
Veteran

Australia
cptkablamo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcptkablamo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheep Stations View Post
Huh? 'Australia' supporting GT3CC??? who are you kidding?

The 20 blokes having a crack at Morgan Park are self-funded and playing very happily in a category that hasn't increased fees or costs in 3 years and invests all monies back into that category. Pays the silly CAMS fees, invests in local economies with accom and restaurants etc, spends with promotors and track hire etc etc...

Give me a break. Get 20 Ferrari drivers together and get something started...yeah, sure.
Naturally, I meant entrants into a national sportscar Series, given the level of corporate support for motorsport outside V8s is not huge, I wasn't alluding to huge crowds and massive spending - that you must realise (and I do think my previous post was a display of what happens when you don't re-read your posts).

Porsche always wanted to restart it but I do wonder how they are going to make it work, unless they can undercut the V8 Development Series by a significant margin and create a good path for up and comers and old pros to race in the Series...
Old 27 Jul 2010, 07:11 (Ref:2733823)   #15
Sheep Stations
Veteran

Australia
Australia
Sorry, get on my high horse sometimes. The differences in GT3CC and Carrera Cup are like night and day...only similarity is the bonnet badge. After 3 years I would hope that motorsport enthusiasts would 'get' what GT3CC is all about. The blokes competing in it certainly do...

There would no doubt be plenty of think-tanks going on to ensure that IF carrera cup returns, it is long-term. Because if it fell over again, albeit a total different set of circumstances from the last wood-ducks who 'ran' it, it would be gone for good. So it is important to cover off all the wrongs and poor pereceptions of the past, particularly when marketing the idea to previous participants.

Porsche's rich motorsport history has been lost in translation in the past few years, share take-overs, VW, building and selling mostly SUV's...from a marketing perspective it would make sense to promote and remind people what they're fundamentally about, sports cars. Hopefully Porsche throw plenty of their own money at it so that the drivers can focus on good racing/good times= longevity.
Old 27 Jul 2010, 07:54 (Ref:2733849)   #16
lala1980
Rookie

lala1980 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheep Stations View Post
Sorry, get on my high horse sometimes. The differences in GT3CC and Carrera Cup are like night and day...only similarity is the bonnet badge. After 3 years I would hope that motorsport enthusiasts would 'get' what GT3CC is all about. The blokes competing in it certainly do...

There would no doubt be plenty of think-tanks going on to ensure that IF carrera cup returns, it is long-term. Because if it fell over again, albeit a total different set of circumstances from the last wood-ducks who 'ran' it, it would be gone for good. So it is important to cover off all the wrongs and poor pereceptions of the past, particularly when marketing the idea to previous participants.

Porsche's rich motorsport history has been lost in translation in the past few years, share take-overs, VW, building and selling mostly SUV's...from a marketing perspective it would make sense to promote and remind people what they're fundamentally about, sports cars. Hopefully Porsche throw plenty of their own money at it so that the drivers can focus on good racing/good times= longevity.
As a former competitor in CCA, I agree with you that it will need PCA's long term financial support. PCA was unable to offer something that suited the entire grid as it contained the pros, young drivers and many of us who loved the cars but felt unloved. The people "runnng" it were ok - it was just tragic that the owner made life difficult for them and the category (ala Darwin etc). How on earth did PCA let the former "owner" get hold of it, even though in our case the GFC put an end to our participation.

It will only work this time if PCA are more serious about ensuring the financial viability.
Old 27 Jul 2010, 09:31 (Ref:2733888)   #17
deano2
Racer

it will be interesting to who PCA target in the way of competitors...i cant see where the competitors will come from to fill a grid???
Old 27 Jul 2010, 22:44 (Ref:2734288)   #18
Sheep Stations
Veteran

Australia
Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by lala1980 View Post
As a former competitor in CCA, I agree with you that it will need PCA's long term financial support. PCA was unable to offer something that suited the entire grid as it contained the pros, young drivers and many of us who loved the cars but felt unloved. The people "runnng" it were ok - it was just tragic that the owner made life difficult for them and the category (ala Darwin etc). How on earth did PCA let the former "owner" get hold of it, even though in our case the GFC put an end to our participation.

It will only work this time if PCA are more serious about ensuring the financial viability.
Porsche A.G. would need to put plenty of money into it to support PCA in what is a valid marketing spend to promote the brand rather than the perception from competitors and teams that its just another profit centre for the 'worlds most profitable car business' (as was often reported under Weideking's tenure).

Agree with you about the actual foot soldiers for the defunct CCA, my venom was aimed at the 'owner'. As for how he got his hands on it, a great Kerry Packer quote springs to mind...'you only get one Alan Bond in your lifetime..." and the original owners had their Alan Bond with the sale of CCA.

Won't happen again, PCA will have learnt from that one...
Old 27 Jul 2010, 22:52 (Ref:2734295)   #19
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by deano2 View Post
it will be interesting to who PCA target in the way of competitors...i cant see where the competitors will come from to fill a grid???
I can see them tempting who might already might be in Aus GT and GT3CC but cant see any big grids. Personally I wish this wasnt happening. We have Aus GT and GT3CC plus the state championships, thats enough methinks.
Old 28 Jul 2010, 09:55 (Ref:2734512)   #20
deano2
Racer

Quote:
I can see them tempting who might already might be in Aus GT and GT3CC but cant see any big grids. Personally I wish this wasnt happening. We have Aus GT and GT3CC plus the state championships, thats enough methinks.
the obvious targets will be the porsche competitors in gt and the wealthier guys in gt3cc that may achieve a grid of around ten...throw in two or three pros and you are still well short of a full grid. all thats been achieved is to weaken the gt and gt3cc grids.i wonder what the sales pitch will be......grid girls,fully catered marquee,v8 supercar events with live tv and a set steak knives.
Old 29 Jul 2010, 05:35 (Ref:2734947)   #21
cptkablamo
Veteran

Australia
And all that for one small payment of a vital organ!

Just can't see how it would work without someone else going bust and ruining everything. </end teenage moment>
Old 29 Jul 2010, 22:09 (Ref:2735499)   #22
Sheep Stations
Veteran

Australia
Australia
Quote:
And all that for one small payment of a vital organ!

Just can't see how it would work without someone else going bust and ruining everything. </end teenage moment>
If its only a kidney count me in!...If after all these years of alcohol abuse one of mines worth $500k then I'll run a season...
Old 30 Jul 2010, 08:13 (Ref:2735663)   #23
inpitlane
Veteran

inpitlane should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's official: Carrera Cup returns for 2011

The announcement has been made.
Old 30 Jul 2010, 09:31 (Ref:2735694)   #24
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Confirmed With Pics...

#CANCERSUCKS
Old 30 Jul 2010, 10:31 (Ref:2735718)   #25
lala1980
Rookie

lala1980 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Very very brave - awesome looking car. They will sound great. BUT - are there enough people with $300k plus to buy and then another $300k to run a season with TV package? PCA's reputation is at stake here.