Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Indycar Series

Old 17 Oct 2011, 21:49 (Ref:2972946)   #1
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!
(most of) Las Vegas race disappeared from indycar.com

I don't want to put this in the Las Vegas or Dan Wheldon topics, but it think it's rather odd that apart from the Condolence and Memorial page most of the Las Vegas material has disappeared from the indycar.com website.

Actually, I was a bit puzzled about the #77 that was on the display (since I thought that would have been Tagliani, with Dan in #98 just as in Indy) so I went to check the website, and all the reports are gone: no more entry lists, no more practices, no more qualifying...
(They were there before the race, I'm sure)

I can understand that the race was redflagged, stopped and not restarted, and that it did not count for the championship. Absolutely the right things to do.
But I find it weird that all materials have been removed and that the race is no longer on the schedule (http://www.indycar.com/schedule/) as if it never took place and the season ended at Kentucky.

What if - in a few years time - most people have forgotten and want to check a few details, will there be nothing?
Wouldn't it be more decent to put (back) the facts? There was an event, practice and qualifying. A race was started, stopped and not restarted due to an accident. Results were discarded for the championship.

I'm a bit puzzled why they took the existing stuff away ...
Old 17 Oct 2011, 21:53 (Ref:2972949)   #2
Hubble
Veteran

England
Bishops Stortford, Herts
Hubble should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHubble should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Possibly as a mark of respect to those affected by the tragedy....maybe in time they will be reinstated, when things aren't quite so raw as they are now...
Old 17 Oct 2011, 22:01 (Ref:2972953)   #3
icemachine
Veteran

Canada
Richmond Hill, Ontario, Canada
icemachine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridicemachine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I thought it quite odd too, I went looking for an entry list and couldn't find it.
Old 17 Oct 2011, 23:15 (Ref:2973011)   #4
emjaya
Racer

Aland Islands
in a house
emjaya should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Revising history. They are trying to pretend it never happened.
Old 17 Oct 2011, 23:25 (Ref:2973018)   #5
Juarez Jed
Veteran

Juarez Jed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJuarez Jed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by emjaya View Post
Revising history. They are trying to pretend it never happened.
You could say that but then there are all the links to the news reports and tribute sites, not to mention the pop-ups are still there from lasvegas.com.
Someone has made a conscious effort to remove the event from the schedule and records however. Strange.
Old 18 Oct 2011, 09:02 (Ref:2973169)   #6
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Technically, the season DID end at Kentucky. The Vegas race never saw 50% completion and was not restarted. Kentucky then was the final completed race of the season.
Old 18 Oct 2011, 10:03 (Ref:2973197)   #7
Carsandmotorracing
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland NZ
Carsandmotorracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Can't we just remember Dan before everyone starts the blame game?
Old 18 Oct 2011, 15:22 (Ref:2973309)   #8
Wild Dog
Rookie

Denmark
Denmark
Wild Dog should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Down F0rce View Post
Technically, the season DID end at Kentucky. The Vegas race never saw 50% completion and was not restarted. Kentucky then was the final completed race of the season.
But still, it should not have been removed.
Old 18 Oct 2011, 16:22 (Ref:2973339)   #9
ujoint
Racer

United States
usa, virginia
ujoint should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridujoint should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There are still archival bits of the event at the following IP address:

The main source from Thur 13 - Sat 15 October 2011:IZOD AND SPEED TV.

http://view.exacttarget.com/?j=fe641...776401747c1c73

Not sure how long this info will stay on the web. My advice. Copy it now.

Last edited by ujoint; 18 Oct 2011 at 16:29.
Old 18 Oct 2011, 16:56 (Ref:2973364)   #10
Stefvh
Veteran

Belgium
Stefvh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Live timing is still "running",

http://racecontrol.indycar.com/
Old 18 Oct 2011, 21:17 (Ref:2973516)   #11
Speedworx
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northamptonshire
Speedworx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Forix.com
Old 18 Oct 2011, 21:23 (Ref:2973519)   #12
Hubble
Veteran

England
Bishops Stortford, Herts
Hubble should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHubble should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Dog View Post
But still, it should not have been removed.
What does it matter if it's not there now...? That doesn't mean that it won't be put back up after a while when the furore surrounding the accident has died down... As a sudden death incident I'm guessing there'll be a police investigation ...?
Old 19 Oct 2011, 10:27 (Ref:2973757)   #13
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!
It does not really matter if it is there now or not.
It is strange that someone took the effort to remove everything, including all the pre-race facts (practice and qualifying a.o.)
And especially strange that the event itself has been removed from the schedule.

I just hope it will be restored in the future. If not the statistics then at least a mention that the event took place.

I don't care about the stats itself, but it would annoy me if the Las Vegas 2011 event would get the same treatment as the Charlotte 1999 race.

Just try to find something about Charlotte '99 on the indycar.com website (spectators were killed when a tire ended up in the grandstands and the race was halted)

1999 schedule according to indycar.com :
http://www.indycar.com/stats/boxscore/55/35593/

1999 schedule according to Wikipedia :
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1999_in_IRL
Old 20 Oct 2011, 14:57 (Ref:2974340)   #14
Vepe
Rookie

Finland
Vepe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I´m not sure about this, but when Tony Renna died at Indianapolis in 2003, all of the camera footage had "dissapeared" from that day...

So basically it seems that they are going to pretend that nothing happened...