Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > Predictions Competitions

Old 30 Oct 2012, 00:59 (Ref:3159876)   #1
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
FRC 2012 - Year in Review

Congratulations to Chiana the 2012 FRC Champion!

This thread is going to be where I post some of the highlights of the 2012 season. It may include some different ways to look at scores, or whatever else I can come up with!

To start out with here are the final scores:

NameTotal_points
Chiana194
The Badger178
isynge176
skycafe165
cptkablamo164
Lebanza161
Victor_RO149
911targa146
Nick49142
fieldofdreams79131
FordCosworthPanoz130
joeb120
Prometheus117
kober108
protopuma89
Gingers4Justice65
jo1998sh64
hoppelemine43
Aysedasi39
Bentley0335
Canada ALMS fan32
R4z3rw33n26
Beetle20
C6R Racing Fan18
morningview6618
GAMEOFGUTS2115
JasonM30

I want to thank every one of you for participating this year. I am really looking forward to next season. There will be some changes in format for next year. Nothing to crazy, but check out the Prediction Competitions sub-forum for updates throughout the off-season.

Last edited by joeb; 31 Oct 2012 at 01:46. Reason: Fixed The Badger's scores to correct for my errors on the Shanghai round
Old 30 Oct 2012, 01:11 (Ref:3159881)   #2
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
We had a long and grueling FRC season this year that combined the entire ALMS and WEC schedules - with a spattering of ELMS races thrown in there. We had a total of 27 different forum members enter, with the highest participation being Sebring with 22 entries and the lowest was Shanghai with 9 entries. I attribute the general reduction in entries throughout the season to the length of the season - both time wise and the number or rounds.

The average scores per round varied quite a bit as well. Not surprisingly the highest scoring rounds were the double and triple point rounds of Petit, Sebring and Le Mans. The lowest point scoring rounds were Donnington and Silverstone. What was going on in the UK?

RoundTotal PointsNumber of EntriesAverage score/person
Sebring4542220.6
Paul Ricard111195.8
Long Beach116176.8
Spa103195.4
Laguna Seca154179.1
Le Mans3752117.9
Lime Rock1451410.4
Donnington67154.5
Mosport131158.7
Mid-Ohio122139.4
Road America95137.3
Silverstone61134.7
Baltimore68106.8
Brazil85127.1
VIR95118.6
Bahrain104138.0
Fuji61115.5
Petit1201110.9
Shanghai7298.7

Last edited by joeb; 31 Oct 2012 at 01:46.
Old 30 Oct 2012, 01:29 (Ref:3159891)   #3
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
Here is a list of the Round Winners:

RoundRound Winner
SebringFordCosworthPanoz
Paul Ricardcptkablamo/hoppelemine
Long BeachChiana
SpaFordCosworthPanoz/The Badger/Nick 49/Bentley03
Laguna SecaFordCosworthPanoz
Le MansAysedasi
Lime Rockskycafe
Donningtonisynge
MosportNick49
Mid-Ohioisynge
Road Americalebanza/isynge/Beetle
Silverstonecptkablamo
Baltimore911targa
BrazilThe Badger
VIRjoeb/911targa/Lebanza/isynge
Bahrain911targa
Fujiisynge/Nick49
PetitChiana
ShanghaiVictor_RO

Nobody had more than 2 solo wins, but if you take co-round wins into count then isynge had 4 round wins.

There were 2 signature wins in that group that really stood out to me. The first was skycafe winning the Lime Rock round by picking all 5 ALMS class winners outright - no partial picks! This had never been done before and may never be duplicated. The second win that stands out is Aysedasi's win at Le Mans. He played one round and then retired into the sunset!
Old 30 Oct 2012, 01:50 (Ref:3159907)   #4
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post

There were 2 signature wins in that group that really stood out to me. The first was skycafe winning the Lime Rock round by picking all 5 ALMS class winners outright - no partial picks! This had never been done before and may never be duplicated. The second win that stands out is Aysedasi's win at Le Mans. He played one round and then retired into the sunset!
I balanced things out by being abysmal at other rounds, including I believe putting a P1 car down as P2 winner at one round of WEC.

Let's not tell this Aysedasi about this contest next year, he scares me.
Old 30 Oct 2012, 13:44 (Ref:3160135)   #5
isynge
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!
First off thanks to joeb for running an absorbing competition, that this year has been impressively all encompassing and comprehensive. It's certainly been an additional area of interest come race weekend time.

In retrospect it's been intriguing seeing how often from my perspective my picks were driven by a combination of a desire to see something different happen, and by affinity for particular squads, rather than a balanced approach looking at maximising the points haul - so in the ALMS in particular I'd generally back Conquest over Level 5, figuring that I'd like to see them win, and in the event they did, it would give rise to a decent haul that wouldn't have to be shared with too many others.

I'd be interested in what sort of approaches others take - any especially interesting systems out there?
Old 30 Oct 2012, 16:10 (Ref:3160195)   #6
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
My picks were often similar (in though process)to your's isynge. I picked cars that I thought would not be the popular picks. Although my position arose from falling behind early on in the competition. I often picked ESM, and when I stopped they won....
Old 30 Oct 2012, 16:45 (Ref:3160207)   #7
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
I tended to go based on recent form, although I often put in various Porsche teams for wins in GT/GTE based on previous races only to see them suffer. And generally trying to cover a wider basis by picking as many cars as possible on the double- and triple-point rounds.
Old 31 Oct 2012, 00:57 (Ref:3160415)   #8
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Yet, taking risks often leads to the big points... being too careful can be costly.

What a great season, I only wish I had done better at Sebring (just look at my score there!!!) and some other rounds. But I guess I've got nothing to complain really. Good competition from both isynge and Badger, if only FCP would've stayed with us a little longer - he was a worthy opponent.

Not sure if I'll do full season next year. To be honest I've kinda lost interest to WEC and (the corpse that is) ELMS - don't even mention the Asian LMS. So I may just do the ALMS rounds + Le Mans. I've gotta reduce my racing following next year anyway due to 'other commitments' so it's gonna be tad trickier - I've already promised myself that I'm only gonna watch the events I really, really care about 'cause this year was a bit overkill. But we'll see, maybe I'll do all of the rounds nevertheless and just pick the cars half-randomly on some of the rounds without really following the races - something I've never really done before.

thanks again joeb

Last edited by Deleted; 31 Oct 2012 at 01:22.
Old 31 Oct 2012, 01:17 (Ref:3160422)   #9
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Oh one more thing, if you just combine all of the ALMS events together, who scored most points in those alone? What about WEC? ELMS?

Just asking for fun, it's sorta like the Oval and Road course trophies in Indy - no-one really cares and they mean pretty much nothing but it's nice trivia
Old 31 Oct 2012, 01:51 (Ref:3160436)   #10
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
Points by Series

I have broken down the points by series in which they were scored. This meant pulling apart the Sebring round into its two components - lots of fun!

Anyways, skycafe was the ALMS champion with 112 points. The Badger was the WEC champion with 81 points, and isynge was the ELMS champion.

NameALMS Points
skycafe112
Chiana105
isynge97
The Badger91
Lebanza90
FordCosworthPanoz84
Victor_RO81
cptkablamo80
911targa79
fieldofdreams7973
Nick4972
joeb70
Prometheus65
protopuma43
jo1998sh32
hoppelemine25
kober22
Beetle20
Gingers4Justice19
Canada ALMS fan18
R4z3rw33n14
Bentley0312
morningview6610
C6R Racing Fan6
JasonM30
GAMEOFGUTS210
Aysedasi0

NameWEC Points
The Badger81
Chiana80
kober78
cptkablamo70
isynge62
Nick4961
Lebanza60
911targa57
Victor_RO55
fieldofdreams7954
skycafe47
Prometheus42
joeb40
Aysedasi39
FordCosworthPanoz37
protopuma35
Gingers4Justice30
Bentley0323
jo1998sh19
GAMEOFGUTS2115
C6R Racing Fan12
R4z3rw33n10
hoppelemine8
morningview668
Canada ALMS fan6
Beetle0
JasonM30

NameELMS Points
isynge17
cptkablamo14
jo1998sh13
Victor_RO11
protopuma11
Prometheus10
joeb10
hoppelemine10
Chiana9
Nick499
Lebanza9
FordCosworthPanoz9
kober8
Gingers4Justice8
Canada ALMS fan8
The Badger6
911targa6
skycafe6
fieldofdreams794
Aysedasi0
Bentley030
GAMEOFGUTS210
C6R Racing Fan0
R4z3rw33n0
morningview660
Beetle0
JasonM30
Old 31 Oct 2012, 01:53 (Ref:3160438)   #11
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiana View Post
Not sure if I'll do full season next year. To be honest I've kinda lost interest to WEC and (the corpse that is) ELMS - don't even mention the Asian LMS. So I may just do the ALMS rounds + Le Mans.
Next year will likely see separate FRC competitions for WEC and ALMS. I'm not sure ELMS and AsLMS will be part of the FRC.
Old 31 Oct 2012, 01:58 (Ref:3160439)   #12
Deleted
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
Next year will likely see separate FRC competitions for WEC and ALMS. I'm not sure ELMS and AsLMS will be part of the FRC.
Thanks, this would really suit my needs then.

As for those individual results of this year - not too bad with the ALMS for me, considering the fiasco that was Sebring

edit // technically PLM was an ELMS round too but I guess you cannot really count it here
Old 31 Oct 2012, 12:28 (Ref:3160596)   #13
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiana View Post
Thanks, this would really suit my needs then.

As for those individual results of this year - not too bad with the ALMS for me, considering the fiasco that was Sebring

edit // technically PLM was an ELMS round too but I guess you cannot really count it here
You're right about petit. But I didn't count elms p2 as a separate class during FRC.
Old 5 Nov 2012, 02:44 (Ref:3162693)   #14
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
I get a kick out of this, I am surprised I did that well at ALMS. I know I really s*cked at Sebring.

I really have never looked at making choices based on trying to out maneuver others. Sure there is some sort of potential advantage, but so many things have to fall into place, and the nature of racing over long distances has so many complications with passing different classes, weather, etc.

I don't think of outdoing other's picks by going a different way because with the three voices in my head I have enough crazy input. You have logic, chance and sentiment all haunting and competing in your head.

If those early season entrants that leave after a few races are reading this, please try to stick around next year. If you look race by race, the results go back and forth. Everybody has a bad round, and the person that has a bad round leaves the door open for someone else to have a good round.
Old 5 Nov 2012, 20:29 (Ref:3163032)   #15
Deleted
Veteran

As some of you have noticed, I tend to make my picks almost immediately after the thread is started - I do NOT take into account what others pick, nor do I pay attention to any of the practice sessions. Yes I often make some late modifications to my picks, but only after I've learned something new (for example Bleekemolen driving in GTC) or my pick had withdrawn.

My picks are based on the following:
1) I calculate how well the team has done so far this season,
2) I calculate how well the team did on this circuit last year (if possible), and if this particular circuit suits the particular model/team - for example Falken on street circuits
3) I check if there's a guest starring star driver like Dalziel on the cockpit
4) I check the latest ACO and IMSA Balance of Performance sheets
5) I see if there's rain in the forecast
6) I see which entry Chief Tucker prefers this time round and whether he may decide to park the other car + estimate how Conquest is going to screw it up this time round
7) I pick #4 Corvette automatically for ALMS GT win, no thought process behind thay (except Long Beach this year, what was I thinking); same with IMSA Performance for European events

Regular WEC rounds are easier as the results are more predictable and races more boring (IMO)
Old 10 Nov 2012, 20:00 (Ref:3164960)   #16
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I don't know how you keep up with this, but much obliged for running the show, joeb
Old 15 Nov 2012, 18:39 (Ref:3166757)   #17
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Yes, this year was certainly something of a marathon. A HUGE thank you joeb, on behalf of everyone on 10Tenths!

And, sincere apologies for my own woeful lack of support for the competition this year.....must try harder next year.
Old 17 Nov 2012, 21:22 (Ref:3167618)   #18
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Worried about losing another pint James ?