Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 25 May 2013, 09:34 (Ref:3252984)   #1
FAS33
Veteran

Australia
1st - 6th gear
FAS33 User had had their licence endorsedFAS33 User had had their licence endorsed
more International drivers!

do we need more International drivers on the grid? we only have 4 nationalities represented on the grid now, including aus. WTCC driver Rob Huff said he wanted to drive here, mika salo etc

I think if they want to grow thats the way to go, the track owner of COTA also suggested that he'd like to see a GC 600 format happening at Texas round next year. I think adding a nascar driver fulltime would be huge coup. now that chrysler are joining in next year no better way to start 2014 season with a nascar driver lining up a 300c in adelaide.

our series is called the ''International V8 Supercars championship'' after all.
Old 25 May 2013, 10:13 (Ref:3252991)   #2
kiwi20
Racer

New Zealand
kiwi20 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Its actually called V8 Supercars. I have never seen it anywhere but on internet forums named International v8 Supercars.

It has international FIA status thats it.
Old 25 May 2013, 11:28 (Ref:3253010)   #3
Langers
Veteran

Langers should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Frankly I can't see that many good overseas drivers coming down. If they're successful, they led good lives in Europe with their friends and family around, plenty of motorsport and other activities. Come to Australia, and even if you're a top driver in a top team (e.g. Whincup), you'll be forced to fly economy all around the country, deal with sub-standard facilities and stay in 3 star motels. Just look at Jamie's twitter feed for proof, and his reaction to being treated as he should at ROC last year.
Old 26 May 2013, 02:28 (Ref:3253251)   #4
FAS33
Veteran

Australia
1st - 6th gear
FAS33 User had had their licence endorsedFAS33 User had had their licence endorsed
why do you think people call him whingecup for?
Old 26 May 2013, 02:51 (Ref:3253255)   #5
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by FAS33
do we need more International drivers on the grid? we only have 4 nationalities represented on the grid now, including aus. WTCC driver Rob Huff said he wanted to drive here, mika salo etc

I think if they want to grow thats the way to go, the track owner of COTA also suggested that he'd like to see a GC 600 format happening at Texas round next year. I think adding a nascar driver fulltime would be huge coup. now that chrysler are joining in next year no better way to start 2014 season with a nascar driver lining up a 300c in adelaide.

our series is called the ''International V8 Supercars championship'' after all.
The championship is wholly and solely Australian. All the teams are based here, all the drivers live here, all the fans are from here..... what NASCAR driver is going to give up that gravy train to come here and race a V8Supercar?

The international drivers are only interested in Bathurst anyway (especially the Europeans)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi20 View Post
Its actually called V8 Supercars. I have never seen it anywhere but on internet forums named International v8 Supercars.

It has international FIA status thats it.
A big deal was made at the start of 2010 about how the series was now the "International V8Supercar Championship".... now its seemingly reverted to being just the "V8Supercar Championship" in name
Old 26 May 2013, 05:07 (Ref:3253274)   #6
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I was thinking that for the COTA round maybe HRT could supply an additional car, P&M could run it, and one of the factory guys like Johnny O or Tommy Milner could drive... Pretty wishful thinking but it would be cool. They could even badge the car as a Chevy.
Old 26 May 2013, 12:01 (Ref:3253372)   #7
formerf1champ
Veteran

Australia
Vettel's gearbox preparing bench
formerf1champ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Why is this being asked? Don't you get it? Gimmicks don't work! Unless the international drivers are Alonso, Vettel, Hamilton, nobody gives a poo!
Old 28 May 2013, 03:06 (Ref:3254316)   #8
Axeman444
Veteran

Australia
Calling a spade a spade...
Axeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAxeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
a permanent International will be unlikely as everyone says, but why not open up the allowance of a Wild Card at marquee events outside the enduros?

I don't like the idea of the GC600 format being revisited at Texas, once a year drivers in every car settling championship outcomes is not what I want. A Wild Card being available for somewhere like Texas which has the capacity to run extra cars, who may hit someone and ruin their championship, is no worse than some of the other regular drivers and their brainfart moves. Would also invoke more local attention, especially if they finish north of 20th.
Old 28 May 2013, 06:55 (Ref:3254348)   #9
DV_08
Racer

Australia
Melbourne
DV_08 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think that is already the case and I agree much better than the GC600 format. A lack of spare cars would be the main problem at the moment and of course someone has to pay for it.
Old 29 May 2013, 00:21 (Ref:3254781)   #10
Muznik
Veteran

Australia
Gold Coast
Muznik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMuznik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axeman444 View Post
a permanent International will be unlikely as everyone says, but why not open up the allowance of a Wild Card at marquee events outside the enduros?

I don't like the idea of the GC600 format being revisited at Texas, once a year drivers in every car settling championship outcomes is not what I want. A Wild Card being available for somewhere like Texas which has the capacity to run extra cars, who may hit someone and ruin their championship, is no worse than some of the other regular drivers and their brainfart moves. Would also invoke more local attention, especially if they finish north of 20th.
Well it looks like the GC600 format may not even be at the GC by todays local rag....

http://www.goldcoast.com.au/article/...oast-news.html
Old 29 May 2013, 11:07 (Ref:3254945)   #11
STEALTHY
Veteran

Australia
SA - The Custom Plate State
STEALTHY should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muznik View Post
Well it looks like the GC600 format may not even be at the GC by todays local rag....

http://www.goldcoast.com.au/article/...oast-news.html
Are Queenslanders really that stupid?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMG
"About time, motor racing is a money pit and it is high time tax/rate payers were elevated from having to prop up this industry. I have no doubt that when a closer look is had at the players involved that questions would be asked. Within 5 years as Internal conbustion engines are phased out in production cars and petrol subsidies are abolished, the V8 will be a relic of an era when pollution, waste and over consumption was an acceptable way of life."
That awkward moment when OMG finds out that his prius was derived from motorracing technology.
Old 30 May 2013, 00:55 (Ref:3255258)   #12
Muznik
Veteran

Australia
Gold Coast
Muznik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMuznik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
[QUOTE=STEALTHY;3254945]Are Queenslanders really that stupid?

I've only been here just shy of 20yrs but they dont have daylight savings cause it will fade the curtains & confuse the cows, as they wont know when milking time is.

They also think Bowraville is in QLD

In all seriousness there seems to be a great divide in public opinion.

On one side you have the likes of OMG who are the "hipster" Greenies who see combustion engines as the devils' work. The anti hoon brigade, the anti fun brigade and the ordinary resident who just isnt intereted motor racing that resents having their life being disrupted & extra traffic jams.

vs

The rest of us that enjoy motor rcing, the people who like to go to events & enjoy themselves and the bogan yobbos that just wanna go & see some burnouts, boobs & drink p!ss!!