Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 6 Jan 2003, 19:15 (Ref:465609)   #1
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
Favorite Drive by Mario Andretti

It is cold, it is snowing and I am still bored! As promised I will continue posting threads where we can reminisce about days gone by. I want to stick with the '70's for a bit, so what would about your favorite memories of Mario Andretti - particularly his time with Lotus?
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 7 Jan 2003, 06:49 (Ref:466012)   #2
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
Japan '76 the forgotten win in the rain at Fuji,overshadowed by Hunts WDC win.Didn't Chapman say if he didnt win in 76 he was quitting F1,Marios win saved the day.
Attached Thumbnails
jpn76andretti.jpg  
Old 7 Jan 2003, 10:39 (Ref:466175)   #3
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How about Monza 1982. Pretty much retired from F1 at the end of '81, only ran at Long Beach in the Williams in 1982.

Gets called up by Enzo to do the least 2 rounds in the Ferrari as Tambay's back injury is getting worse and a second car would help out in case Tambay couldn't race. Mario does one day of testing, his first in a Turbocharged F1 car. Puts the car on pole, unfortunatly makes a poor start but winds up a great 3rd.
Old 7 Jan 2003, 13:21 (Ref:466298)   #4
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
Mario was one of those drivers who jus seemed to never age. I saw him at the CART race in Cleveland that same year. He was just awesome. I watched from one corner and he just nailed the apex lap after lap - no deviation whatsoever.
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 7 Jan 2003, 15:55 (Ref:466395)   #5
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Not F1, but...

Sebring 1970. His own 512S led healthily until the gearbox went. Meanwhile the 908 of Revson and McQueen was working its way to the front. Mario hopped in the I.Giunti / N.Vaccarella Ferrari, drove from midfield and won by only 15 seconds.

Mario later said he was ****ed off that everyone was buzzing about "McQueen winning Sebring" when in fact Revson was doing most of the driving, which added a bit of an impetus to his surge to the front.
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 7 Jan 2003, 17:57 (Ref:466491)   #6
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Lee Janotta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Scrapping with Emmerson Fittipaldi all race long at Mid-Ohio in, I believe, 1989, on a soaking wet and very narrow race track.
Old 8 Jan 2003, 03:26 (Ref:466997)   #7
strad
Veteran

strad should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The race...Canadian I think,,where with a half a mile to see it and after three laps by it ran into a parked car on the straight.
The clip they used in the opening for ABCs Wide World of Sports for years.
The twit.....yeah I know he has this long list of accomplishments and all that, but I just can't stand him.
If any of you think Dave or any of the F1 drivers are whiners,,,they don't hold a candle to Mario.
Old 8 Jan 2003, 13:34 (Ref:467270)   #8
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
I have to be honest, much as I liked him as a driver, he was a whiner. His son Mikey is actually worse...

Thanks Strad!
Old 9 Jan 2003, 02:48 (Ref:468120)   #9
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Oh, I think it's kind of a Phil Esposito Whine -- Phil always whined about every penalty and every no-goal call, but after the game he'd say "That was for next time."

I have always liked him, but I have to say that in 2000 at Le Mans when he saved the Panoz after blowing a tire at 190 mph was amazing, considering his age at the time! Unfortunately I won't be around when TGF turns 62 to see if he can do as well.
Old 9 Jan 2003, 03:31 (Ref:468138)   #10
JR27
Racer

JR27 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I can only comment on those races that I've seen Mario in the flesh.....he was simply awesome at Mosport Park during the 1977 Canadian GP. Mario had his JPS-Lotus 78 flying...thanks to a "misunderstanding" between McLaren team mates James Hunt and Jochen Mass, Mario had lapped the field.....he slowed down on the 70th lap to let Jody unlap himself and was just cruisin it home when his engine went bang (it was a Cosworth development engine, I believe) on lap 77 of a 80 lap race.....Jody ended up winning in his Wolf. Looking back it was a neat race to attend....The Wolf was victorious in its "home GP, Gilles made his Ferrari debut, I got to see Jabouille try to qualify the Renault RS01 turbo (torrential rain on Saturday sure didn't help the cause...), and the Tyrrell P34's were fantastic....Patrick came in 2nd and even though Ronnie failed to finish he amazed us fans in Moss Corner by throwing that 6-wheeler into a couple of 360 spins.....and the Monza Gorilla brought his Surtees into 6th place and earned a point. Yep.....quite a weekend

Murph
Old 9 Jan 2003, 21:34 (Ref:468864)   #11
Neil C
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Nations
People's Republic of Ann Arbor, Michigan
Neil C should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I wish I'd been there Murph. I don't know if any team ever started F1 so well as the Wolf. In fact, I dont think there was another team that ever won its very first F1 race.

My enduring memory of Mario was at the '74 Indy in the LaMachine car. Because of F1, he was not able to practice or qualify very well, but nobody else drove his car out of turn four as he did; drifting so close to the wall on every lap there wasn't room for a fat shadow between his wheels and the wall.
Old 12 Jan 2003, 04:34 (Ref:471752)   #12
djb
Veteran

djb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
not a best drive story, but at last years montreal CART race, he was there. It was interesting to see him in real life, and at some point on Saturday or Sunday, there were GT type cars driven by racers (not CART guys) taking contest winners out for a lap of the track, a Viper etc. The organizers must have asked him to do a few laps, because as I was hanging around (secretly hoping that a vacant seat would appear and I could convince them that they needed some promo in-car pictures) Mr. Andretti hopped in and took a few lucky Joe Schmoes out for some laps--and I am certain that they had no idea who he was!

and no, no one, including Mario, offered me a ride. Damn.
Old 12 Jan 2003, 04:58 (Ref:471759)   #13
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I really wish I could have seen this guy race. he is IMO, and without a doubt the most accomplished driver of all in history. No driver has won so many championships in so many different series, and I don't see any in the future doing so either. And on top of all that, he's the most fan-friendly driver I've ever had the honour to meet.
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 20 Jan 2003, 10:10 (Ref:479782)   #14
cmgoodman
Rookie

cmgoodman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
None can be better than Indianapolis in 1969, when came back from a crash of the original STP prototype car and took a quickly assembled kit car to victory at the Brickyard.