Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 23 Jan 2003, 03:52 (Ref:483135)   #1
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
5 minutes from Snetterton
Andrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
First race meeting memories?

We have all met new friends on the forum, I'm just wondering how far back fellow members can remember their first race meeting, as there are certainly some knowledgeable folks who log on here. My first memories are all from 1965 (as a 6 year old) with my parents, but not sure in which order (date):
Clark, Hill and Surtees running 1-2-3 in an F1 race at Silverstone, spectating from Stowe.
Surtees again, McLaren and Amon in big Gp.7 Can-Am cars at Brands in '65 in the Guards Trophy with Jimmy winning the saloons in the Lotus Cortina, spectating from Clearways.
Snetterton with the Alan Mann Cortina of John Whitmore winning the 3 hour race. I remember watching from Russell then later on the way home from the small grandstand at the hairpin on the way out as this was by the exit.
What is yours?
Old 23 Jan 2003, 06:44 (Ref:483180)   #2
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
South of Sydney NSW, Australie
275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Showground Speedway - Sy-d-ney, Australia

Hmmmmm, 1955ish to see a great spectacular every Friday and I think sometimes Saturday nites. I have been fond of solo motorcycles ever since
Old 23 Jan 2003, 08:35 (Ref:483228)   #3
Rob29
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire,UK
Rob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sep 19 1953.Schoolfriend & his father took me to Crystal Palace.Stirling Moss won the main F2 event in a Cooper-Alta.I was recently trying to recall my first knowledge of the existence of the sport. May have been the green & yellow posters stuck on the back of the London Buses advertising the opening meeting eariler that year.
Old 23 Jan 2003, 10:43 (Ref:483296)   #4
Tedebear
Rookie

Tedebear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I can remember watching Bathurst on TV from a very small age, Peter Brock was definitely the king of the mountain - although I think my first actual trackside attendance in Australia was some night racing at Oran Park when I was about 16, can remember being blow away by the noise produced by one particular Holden....

As for my first European event - Spa 2002 for Historic Saloon cars - which is going to take some beating, that was just AMAZING!!
Old 23 Jan 2003, 11:00 (Ref:483308)   #5
Maisie
Veteran

Maisie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sometime in the 1980s my best friend's father owned a Renault 5 Turbo and took me and my friend to Oulton Park to see the R5s race. I remember vividly sitting on a tree stump and flattening Chewits before eating them, while cheering on 5s with "names" on their numberplates like Rhino 5 and Ajax I also dimly remember some sort of single seater race - F3 or F3000 or something similar. Anyone else remember these cars or can pinpoint the date better?
Old 23 Jan 2003, 11:10 (Ref:483313)   #6
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
My first circuit race was at age 6- Lakeside for the ATCC. Before then, I think I had been to a few speedway meetings at the Exhibition Grounds, I will never forget Wally Lewis one night rolling a sprintcar he was having a guest drive of...
Old 23 Jan 2003, 11:12 (Ref:483315)   #7
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by Tedebear
As for my first European event - Spa 2002 for Historic Saloon cars - which is going to take some beating, that was just AMAZING!!
Its pretty amazing every year and I'm aiming to be there with the Capri again this year (work schedules permitting).
Old 23 Jan 2003, 11:19 (Ref:483321)   #8
Tedebear
Rookie

Tedebear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well sounds like we may see you there then Peter as we've already decided that we'll be going back as well...
Old 23 Jan 2003, 12:30 (Ref:483390)   #9
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Watched it since i was born, first meeting i attended was saturday qualifying for the 1988 ATCC round at Oran Park. The glorious sound of Larry Perkins HSV Commodore V8 in amongst the hordes of Sierra's and the Brock BMW's.

First 'race' meeting i attended was a round of the Australian NASCAR Championship in 1988 at the Calder Park Thunderdome, i remember Mike Oliver in his bright Orange Commodore AUSCAR have a major one on the main straight infront of me.
Old 23 Jan 2003, 13:04 (Ref:483435)   #10
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Being only 21 my first meeting was somewhat more recent. It was at Crystal Palace (now theres a shock!!) in 1997 for the 7oaks and DMC sprint.
Old 23 Jan 2003, 13:09 (Ref:483440)   #11
klaus
Rookie

klaus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
my first racing impressions were not very satisfying, when i was taken by my father to visit the practice of the german gp on the ring in 1957 or 1958, as in the opinion of a five or six year old boy race-cars had to be silver and be shaped similar to the mercedes streamliners, my favourite toy in those days.
oh, what was i disapointed to see reds and greens and blues, only a single silver one was in between,but it looked as a cigar, far away from my toy-racer.
thanks to my father , now 84 years old, to have taken me to the eifel mountains (and later even to races abroad)) again and a again, until the taste had come for more.
Old 23 Jan 2003, 13:12 (Ref:483441)   #12
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
DNQ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Old age has its advantages...

My first memories are merely a decade old. Speedway meetings at Archerfield in the early 1990's. Good times...
Old 23 Jan 2003, 15:47 (Ref:483622)   #13
davemorganfan
Racer

davemorganfan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
British Empire Trophy for F3 cars in 1970, at Oulton. Fabulous stuff. Cars 4-abreast coming into Knicker Brook, with no-one prepared to back off. The inevitable happened, and Bev Bond (yes, him again) cartwheeled into a thankfully unoccupied grandsatnd.
Old 23 Jan 2003, 16:58 (Ref:483675)   #14
KC
Veteran

United States
Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA
KC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The first motor race I ever attended was at a small dirt oval track just outside of Tyler, Texas called the Rose Bowl in 1989. It's a tiny 1/4 mile high banked dirt track situated on the side of a hill that used to be a slag pit on an old oil field drilling site.

The cars were mini-sprints sanctioned by the Texas Mini Sprint Association. They consisted of small versions of sprint cars powered by 1200cc motorcycle engines and had driver adjustable wings. Were they quick! There would be five of six passes for the lead on every lap the competition was so close.

Brings back fond memories of the smell of methanol, eating sausages-on-a-stick and teary eyed laughter with some good friends.
Never forget #99
Old 23 Jan 2003, 17:50 (Ref:483712)   #15
bingleton
Rookie

bingleton should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My first race meeting was Donington Park June 1991 , HSCC / .I was addicted there and then . The sight of Denis Welsh sliding his fantastic Austin Healey 3000 round Goddards will stay with me forever . Also the sight and sound of 3 litre Formula 1 cars down Craner curves was very impressive to a fifteen year old .
Old 23 Jan 2003, 18:31 (Ref:483740)   #16
paulzinho
Veteran

Brazil
Larkfield, Kent, UK
paulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpaulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Nice topic Andrew!

My first race meeting was when I was about 10 days old, I used to go so much as a baby and toddler but remember very little.

I guess my earlieat memories must be when my Dad took me to watch him at Spa or the Nurburgring when I was about 5 or 6. Even then I don't remember much, just the odd little things about the places we went, none about the actual racing!
Old 23 Jan 2003, 21:22 (Ref:483858)   #17
Chris Townsend
Veteran

United Kingdom
London
Chris Townsend should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I guess my first memory would be bikes, my dad racing grass-track in the '60s and the smell of whatever it was they put in the fuel mixed with the grass and the dust. Then cars: Brands Easter '76 Alan Jones winning the Group 8 race in a T330, and rapidly after that the British Gp and watching the almightly kerfufle at Paddock on the first lap and the rising anger in the crowd when it seemed that Hunt wasn't going to be allowed to restart. [Wasn't there a real sense that year that Ferrari were writing the F1 regulations as and when necessary?] I was more concerned about Chris Amon - always a fan of the underdog, and the speed he wrung out of that little Ensign was extraordinary. Was such a neat car. I remember that Dave Baldwin's FF Van Diemens in 77 and 78 looked like scaled down versions.
Old 23 Jan 2003, 22:57 (Ref:483972)   #18
stevebrown
Racer

England
The Port of Indecision, SW of Disorder
stevebrown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridstevebrown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My first memories were going with my dad to Kings Lynn Speedway. I remember Terry Betts Testimonial and seeing all the great riders of the '70's. I also remeber Dad taking me to the very first Mildenhall Fen Tigers meeting.
I didn't visit a race circuit though until 1987 when a friend invited me to Snetterton- to help marshal! There I am, the first time I ever set foot on a circuit and I'm helping to rebiuld a tyre wall at 11pm. That first meeting was the Willhire 24hr. I did wonder what the hell I was doing this for but by the end of the weekend and getting little sleep I was hooked and have been on the bank ever since.

Steve B
Old 24 Jan 2003, 08:24 (Ref:484240)   #19
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
I had been to race meetings prior, but my first vivid memory was of the USAC indycars at Brands in 1978. It stuck in my mind because at the time they only used ovals in the States, only turned left, but had around 1000hp. I was on the exit of clearways and they appeared to lurch awkwardly around the corners than hit the straight and just take off.

I remember, I think it Danny Ongais, accelerating out of the clearways losing it, then hitting the barrier just at the start of the pits. I think he was across the finish line before it came to halt.

It stuck in my mind because of the slow speeds round the corner. To have that much momentum by the time he reached the pit entrance was just mind blowing.
Old 24 Jan 2003, 09:00 (Ref:484263)   #20
Chris Townsend
Veteran

United Kingdom
London
Chris Townsend should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mal, I must have been quite close to you at that USAC race at Brands, because I remember spectating at Clearways that day. The acceleration out of the corners was impressive, the speed through the turns less so. I remember one guy, Dick Simon I think, who could probably have gone through the corner quicker on a bicycle. Brands must have been alien for most of those guys because not only was it a road circuit, but the club track at Brands is pretty much all right turns, apart from the bottom of the hill and Surtees, and all they did at home was turn left.

[Though having said all that, many of them would have driven F5000 in the US on road circuits or raced sportscars.]
Old 24 Jan 2003, 18:03 (Ref:484789)   #21
paddy
Veteran

England
Nottingham
paddy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridpaddy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My first meeting was the 1974 Brirish Gp at Brands. I watched from Paddock Hill Bend and will never forget the fantastic noise at the start! The day was only spoilt by the fact that Ronnie Peterson didn't win. My brother was delighted by Scheckter's victory because he was a big Tyrell fan.
The following year was the race when the rain fell at Silverstone and nearly everybody went off. The highlight for me though was Barrie Williams in the Touring Car race in his Mazda. He lost nearly a lap at tha start, but drove like a loony to catch up, bouncing over the kerbs at Woodcote every lap, with the crowd on their feet cheering every time he came past.
Old 25 Jan 2003, 00:36 (Ref:485139)   #22
verglas
Racer

verglas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Castle Combe in the mid 60's, when Ron Fry was the local hero in his Ferrari 250LM and won every time out. My first international meeting was the F2 race at Thruxton in 1968, I vividly recall seeing my then hero Jackie Stewart in his Matra complete with high wing dominate. That meeting inspired me and I became a Junior Member of the BARC and started to marshal in the paddock and the pits from 1969 on. What memories this forum brings back!!
Old 25 Jan 2003, 06:59 (Ref:485304)   #23
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I used to live near to the Aldershot Stock Car track (sadly now a by-pass) so my earliest motorsport memories come from there. I was a regular Thursday night attendee in the late sixties.

Then Thruxton (once I got some wheels) where I remember Purley and Ashley dicing in their F5000s. The Touring cars through Allard were something to behold. It wasn't as smooth as it is now.

The GP at Brands and Silverstone (it was a Saturday meeting in those days at 'stone) always come to mind but my best memory is 1979 and Rega winning in that beautiful FW07 (possibly the best F1 car ever).
Old 25 Jan 2003, 08:47 (Ref:485333)   #24
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Verglas, you're gonna hate me for this...

My first race meeting (I am told) was at Castle Combe, and Ron Fry and Jack Sears were competing there in the 250LM and the Cobra.

But as I was under 2 at the time, the memory is not what it might be.

The first meeting I do vividly remember being at was the International Trophy at Silverstone in 1971. Already I was a committed Jackie Stewart fan, and was excitedly looking forward to seeing him sweep all before him. I remember being less than impressed with him when he failed to finish the race.

Am I right in thinking that was the year he rocketed off the startline and understeered straight off at Copse...?
Old 25 Jan 2003, 09:42 (Ref:485368)   #25
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
5 minutes from Snetterton
Andrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Yes TimD, you are right. The race was in two parts, live on the BBC. JYS understeered straight into the bank directly 'at' the Copse camera! I've got it on tape somewhere. What I remember most from that meeting though was a side by side Silverstone style finish to the 2 litre sports car race. John Miles and another driver I can't remember in Chevron B19s.