Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 12 Jul 2003, 23:48 (Ref:659781)   #1
bevilan
Rookie

bevilan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ferrari Days

Arrived at Lime Rock Park with the new zoom lens on my slr only to have the camera break. Took these with my point and shoot digital. Hope you will enjoy these pictures of historic Ferraris
http://pages.prodigy.net/nealb2/ferraridays03.html

Neal
Old 13 Jul 2003, 09:24 (Ref:659921)   #2
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Lovely Neal, thanks very much.
Old 13 Jul 2003, 17:56 (Ref:660115)   #3
Javi
Veteran

Javi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They are wonderful. Wish I was there.
Old 14 Jul 2003, 00:32 (Ref:660351)   #4
Chevyguy
Racer

Chevyguy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I really like that yellow P4. Is the red #23 a later P4?

"No matter where you go, there you are"-Pigkiller
Old 14 Jul 2003, 02:13 (Ref:660372)   #5
bevilan
Rookie

As far as I know #23, ex-NART 512S of Charlie Arnott was built as a 512S. My understanding is the P4 and yellow 412P seen here were the last in a series of racecars. Ferrari took a brief break from prototype racing, then came out in 1969 with the 312P (not to be confused with the 1972 312PB) along with a few CAN AM cars (612/712?). The 512S being developed from the 312P/CAN AM cars....I think but - could be wrong.
One more look
Old 14 Jul 2003, 06:48 (Ref:660456)   #6
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
The #23 looks the same as the Nick Mason Car that led the LeMans legends race this year. I assume though it is not the same car.
Old 14 Jul 2003, 23:15 (Ref:661256)   #7
Chevyguy
Racer

Chevyguy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The #11 looks like the one that the very well spoken Alan DeCadene(sp?) presented on an episode of Victory By Design.

Thanks bevilan.

"No matter where you go, there you are"-Pigkiller
Old 15 Jul 2003, 11:10 (Ref:661628)   #8
macca
Racer

macca should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi, I've just slipped across from the Historic Forum.

If anyone is interested, the yellow Ferrari is a 330P3/4 (alternative designation 412P) from 1967, and its chassis number is 0850. It was built new for the 1967 season and sold to the Belgian Ferrari importer Jacques Swaters' Garage Francorchamps team, which is why it is in the Belgian national racing colour of yellow. It is now apparently owned by Lawrence Stroll of Canada who paid 6.5 million USD!

It carried the number 33 in the Daytona 24 Hours in 1967, but was then badly damaged in a crash by Willy Mairesse in the Spa 1000k in the rain and couldn't be repaired for Le Mans. Ferrari therefore loaned Swaters a full works P4 (fuel-injected 36-valve motor instead of 24-valve carburetter) which was chassis number 0856 - which Lawrence Stroll also now owns!

The works P4's were 0846 (undergoing restoration in the USA - see Ferrarichat.com and search under Napolis), 0856, 0858 and 0860. The 'customer P3/4's were 0844 (North American Racing Team), 0848 (Filipinetti team,Switzerland), 0850, and 0854 (Maranello Concessionaires, UK).

0850 was owned for many years by P. Paul Pappalardo of Florida (who also owns a 250GTO and the 250TR which won Le Mans in 1960), and he brought it to the Goodwood Festival of Speed firstly in 1995 IIRC when it was red, and again in 1997 when Ferrari was the featured marque on their 50th anniversary; it was yellow by that time, and 0844 and 0854 were also there that year.

He based it in England for a couple of years and it was raced at Silverstone in the Ferrari-Maserati races at the Coys meeting.

I believe 0854 was one that was driven regularly on the roads of California in the 1970s, and 0850 had a Florida plate when I saw it.

0856 is the most original and unrestored of the four P4s, still being as it was when last raced by the factory in 1967 at Brands Hatch, so I guess that is why it is the most highly valued by collectors. It very rarely comes up for sale, having had only two owners between 1968 and a couple of years ago.

Basically there only 8 of those lovely curvy P3/4s and P4s in the world, plus a semi-official 'bitsa' assembled by ex-Ferrari works driver and privateer David Piper out of all the spares he acquired from Ferrari and when buying and selling some of the other cars he owned. Any other car is a replica with a non-original engine, and there are a multitude about, ranging from fibreglass kitcars with Renault V6 engines up to ally-bodied professionally-built cars with Ferrari 400 road car engines.

Paul Mackness
Old 15 Jul 2003, 12:07 (Ref:661679)   #9
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Terrific info Paul, thanks very much.
Old 15 Jul 2003, 14:44 (Ref:661888)   #10
Magical Trevor
Veteran

United States
New Britain, CT; Local Track: Lime Rock
Magical Trevor should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMagical Trevor should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMagical Trevor should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Hey bevilan! Glad to see another Lime Rocker here. Do you go to the Memorial Day Grand Prix as well? Unfortunately, I couldn't make it to Ferrari Days, but I will be there for the Vintage Festival. Nice pics as well.
*Yes, I used to be RacerGuy2. You don't really think I'd stick with that name the whole time now did you? ;)
Old 16 Jul 2003, 15:58 (Ref:662963)   #11
Javi
Veteran

Javi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well Paul, I am so glad ou gave us that lot of information about ferrari´s P4. Is one of my favourite cars, perhaps the sexiest car ever...
Do you know what happened to the can am version of the P4´s? Amon raced one in 1967-8 I guess, and later derived into the 612S, with a 6 liter engine. Any info about them?
Old 18 Jul 2003, 18:13 (Ref:665142)   #12
Magical Trevor
Veteran

United States
Magical Trevor should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMagical Trevor should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMagical Trevor should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
bevilan? Please come back... I want an answer!
*Yes, I used to be RacerGuy2. You don't really think I'd stick with that name the whole time now did you? ;)
Old 18 Jul 2003, 20:05 (Ref:665226)   #13
bevilan
Rookie

Sorry for my all to short attention span RacerGuy2. My new job requires me to work EVERY Monday (boo hiss) so I missed the Memorial day Grand Prix. Will be at Lime Rock on the Saturday of the Vintage Festival but won't be able to make it there on Monday (boo hiss). I look forward to seeing some nice cars at that time!
Old 18 Jul 2003, 21:33 (Ref:665279)   #14
Magical Trevor
Veteran

United States
THAT WAS AT FERRARI DAYS!?!?!?!?!!?!??
$#!~, knew I should have gone...

As for the LRP stuff, I was wondering because I'm a regular at LRP, and would like to mee other 10/Tenths members as many of our friends in Britain have. If you'd like to meet on the Saturday anyway, it would be really cool. My family always camps adjacent to the chicane. Or, maybe I'll be able to spot you in your nice little blue MG.

P.S. Sorry for my impatience before, as I had yet to see another person that goes to LRP on the site. Thanks for your answer!

Last edited by RacerGuy2; 18 Jul 2003 at 21:34.
Old 18 Jul 2003, 23:32 (Ref:665347)   #15
bevilan
Rookie

Will e-mail you at the end of August, and see you At Lime Rock on Saturday August 30th. More then likely I will be driving my Acura. After a long day of running around the track I like to put the air conditioning on and cruise home.
Old 18 Jul 2003, 23:36 (Ref:665349)   #16
Magical Trevor
Veteran

United States
Cool.
Old 23 Jul 2003, 10:35 (Ref:669246)   #17
stefan
Racer

United Kingdom
nr bristol, uk
stefan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridstefan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Some beautiful Ferraris there - and a Lotus 49 too - what a sight. Not sure why they're hiding the wing though - it's a bit late for that