Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 22 Jul 2003, 16:06 (Ref:668512)   #1
Heebeegeetee
Veteran

Heebeegeetee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Silverstone - how was it?

Just wondering if anyone went, how did they find the carparking arrangements etc? I've read that there were no problems, but that was coming from the BRDC president who would say that, wouldn't he.
So how was things? Was it good or was it bad? Are the criticisms justified or entirely unfair? Be interested in any comments regarding your day.

Heebee.
Old 22 Jul 2003, 16:30 (Ref:668543)   #2
garcon
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I didn't go, but for a start there were only 70,000 spectators there which must've eased things a little (that is less than previous years isn't it?).

On ITV the anchor type bloke said everyone got in with only one or two "isolated problems".

I'm presuming that's isolated to Northamptonshire, then.
Old 22 Jul 2003, 16:47 (Ref:668554)   #3
jiggly_puff
Veteran

United Kingdom
Leeds/St.Albans
jiggly_puff should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i went! and it was brillient! easy in and easy out! i think the park and ride thing worked as well as it could have done and i didn;t hear or see anyone who wasn't pleased with it!
Old 22 Jul 2003, 20:27 (Ref:668762)   #4
Suzy
Retired
Veteran

Suzy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I thought it was absolutely brilliant. I love live motorsport and I had so much fun during the weekend. I'm busy trying to write it all up at the moment. But let's just say it involves Bernie and Bentleys, the Montoya's and their mini, sunshine and Status Quo, Motorsport (on the track) and Motorsport (the magazine), young Finn's and big fireworks, lorries and EJ's dodgy lyrics, cuddly McLaren cars and merchandise swapping, (track) walking and (Murray) Walker... and that's a taster for you.
Old 22 Jul 2003, 20:30 (Ref:668765)   #5
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
Damon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
oh, can't wait .
Old 22 Jul 2003, 20:53 (Ref:668784)   #6
Suzy
Retired
Veteran

And let's not even start on Michael and Rubens singing a duet on Saturday afternoon! That was an "experience" to put it mildly. And all credit to both of them for such an impromptu sing-along For the record, Rubens can sing in tune, Michael can't sing for toffee
Old 22 Jul 2003, 21:10 (Ref:668804)   #7
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
Only went Friday - wasn't prepared to pay good money to see it! - and I don't know how many people were there that day but it looked as busy as an event such as the BTCC or similar. It was soooo easy getting in AND out. Has certainly improved.
Old 22 Jul 2003, 21:36 (Ref:668828)   #8
Suzy
Retired
Veteran

It was a good attendance on the Friday. I walked around the circuit on Friday and was impressed by the number of people there.

As usual, Sunday was heaving but Saturday wasn't as busy as I thought it would be. If anything, there may well have been more people there on Friday than Saturday. Hopefully Octagon will release spectator figures for each day. But I doubt the Friday figures will include stats of people who had season passes.
Old 23 Jul 2003, 00:12 (Ref:668908)   #9
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
I was there (6th year on the bounce) and it was a brilliant weekend (as usual). A shame that Sato san couldn't make it, (Mrs Sato is about to give birth ), but other than that an excellent time.

A brilliant race (Silverstone produced the best race in 2002 and looks like repeating it this year too) and access was easy in and out of the circuit. (M25 was a nightmare as usual though )
Old 23 Jul 2003, 06:24 (Ref:669051)   #10
MrSal
Racer

MrSal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My experience of Silverstone
We had some troubles getting in on Saturday because we were diverted to a car park via a country road which backed up quite badly and it took an hour to get in. On Sunday we got straight in because we were kept on the A43 until the last minute which was good.
There were no problems getting out of the circuit car parks either day. HOWEVER, as we were driving to the M1 on Sunday there was a report on Silverstone radio saying there was an accident on the M1 Southbound. Phew we thought, glad thats not North or we would have problems. Anyway, the report was wrong!!! The M1 North had 2 out of 3 lanes closed and it was a bloody nightmare. If we had proper info we could have avoided the queues by joining at junction 18 rather than 15A. Not happy!!

The race was obviously a classic, I've never seen such a good dry weather race. Full credit to the drivers for putting on such a display. I would also like to commend the cars that were being overtaken for not weaving and preventing proper racing(except Villeneuve for his blocking of MS and JB)

I thought the new qualifying wouldn't be as good to watch but I really enjoyed it. With the old qualifying it was a bit difficult to follow who was on a warm up lap,who was on a flyer and who was slowing down. Very confusing.

All in all a really good weekend. My only real gripe(apart from the traffic report cock-up) was the lack of support races. 5 years ago there were Formula 3 races, MGF races and saloon car races. There was too much time looking at an empty track. Providing Bernie doesn't cancel the race we will be going again next year.
Old 23 Jul 2003, 07:09 (Ref:669075)   #11
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
As I arrived on Thursday I can't comment on traffic going to the GP. However, I did get stuck in a huge traffic jam going southbound on the M1 on the way home Sunday evening. Having said that, the M1 southbound is always bad so in a way I had built it into my plans.

There weren't the number there on Friday (IMHO) and even Saturdays crowd looked a little thinner than normal (must be the Atkins diet ). Sunday was supposed to be around 70,000 which is down from the 90,000 we used to get around 3-4 years ago.
Old 23 Jul 2003, 07:14 (Ref:669078)   #12
PaulSands
Veteran

England
Grantham
PaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
so Suzy where will we get to read this tome you are preparing?

My experience of Friday was nothing but good...A43 was a bit clogged but I'm putting that down to usual Friday traffic, the actual in and out of the circuit was trouble free
Old 23 Jul 2003, 07:42 (Ref:669090)   #13
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Its beginning to sound like there's no excuse to goof off and camp for the weekend anymore!
Old 23 Jul 2003, 09:40 (Ref:669177)   #14
spearce
Racer

spearce should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Very easy in and out, A43 to A5 deserted at 6pm on Sun, traffic backed up a little at Weedon, back home in under 50 mins - usually it takes that long just to get out of the car park!
I thought Sat was very quiet, and even on Sun chopper traffic well down, no long line for loo or burgers either (on infield), several stands not full. Seems clear to me that the 'wining and dining' has dropped right off - too expensive even for them ?
Old 23 Jul 2003, 09:49 (Ref:669184)   #15
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Yes I noticed the chopper traffic was much lighter than is normal, also noticed that Johnathan Palmer didn't have his usual hospitality suites along the inside of hanger straight. Money is still tight for the corporate world and that's likely to be the case for at least another year so expect to see much the same next year!
Old 23 Jul 2003, 10:02 (Ref:669196)   #16
spearce
Racer

.... that's 'cos JP was to busy doing other things, like trying to get his lad a better ride. SG, have things calmed down yet after the w/e ???
Old 23 Jul 2003, 10:09 (Ref:669209)   #17
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
5 minutes from Snetterton
Andrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
You are right Stephen, the corporate side is well down. With the new traffic arrangements too which have worked a treat these past 2 GPs, less chopper traffic.
However I have never come across so many jobsworths in my life! I was priviliged to have a media paddock / trackside pass and wanted to walk from the paddock down to Abbey, "You can't come through this way mate, not unless you are a BRDC member". It was like this at so many locations on the infield even for the media / photographers.
Everybody seemed to agree however that it was a terrific event. They talk about improving the show for the fans but there is absolutely one thing that must be done and this cropped up in many conversations. There must be an autograph session or opportunity to see / meet / photograph the drivers up close. Being on the back of a truck 200 yards away for one lap of the track is not close enough was the general concensus. I felt so sorry for the kids with their autograph books and cameras standing for hours near to the FOM car park waiting for the slightest glimpse of their heroes. This must be addressed IMO.
Old 23 Jul 2003, 10:27 (Ref:669232)   #18
spearce
Racer

Andrew, yes Abbey is now a 'right crowd and no no crowding area' and out of bounds to everyone else, wonder if they'd let bernie in ??? Perhaps that's what he means by 'they seem to be doing lots of good things for their members', but not much for everybody else ?
The whole place is becoming swipe card entry only, hard luck if not. The only cars on view in the paddock were the historics, nice but you expect to see more at the GP.
Old 23 Jul 2003, 10:28 (Ref:669234)   #19
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Spot on Andrew. I asked if we could allow some young children to come close to the armco during the drivers parade so that they could take a few snaps and see a little better, but the answer was an emphatic NO. Of course the events of later that day will only make it harder for the public to get close to the cars and drivers.

Did anyone else notice that on the first lap after the pit lane opened on Sunday, not one driver waved to the crowd on their out lap? 'Old Nige' was a great one for waving to the fans and making them feel a little 'special'. Sadly this now seems a thing of the past. At the end of the race I waved to all the drivers on the slowing down lap, not one of them bothered to wave back!

If we are to draw the crowds through the gates, which after all gives the organisers their income, we need to do more to make F1 spectator friendly!
Old 23 Jul 2003, 10:30 (Ref:669238)   #20
PaulSands
Veteran

England
Grantham
PaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I managed to get in there with just my Octagon pass on Friday...shades on, laminate and lanyard flapping, full steam ahead, no eye contact,bingo
Old 23 Jul 2003, 10:31 (Ref:669239)   #21
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Spearce I hear what you are saying, but in one breath you criticise the BRDC while the next you applaud them. The BRDC campsite is in the centre of the circuit so maybe that's why certain areas were cordoned off. Having said that, the Historic race you mention is a BRDC race...see what I mean?
Old 23 Jul 2003, 10:33 (Ref:669240)   #22
PaulSands
Veteran

England
Grantham
Quote:
Originally posted by Stephen Green
At the end of the race I waved to all the drivers on the slowing down lap, not one of them bothered to wave back!

If we are to draw the crowds through the gates, which after all gives the organisers their income, we need to do more to make F1 spectator friendly!
That's down to the idividual drivers surely not F1 in general...I'm suprised that the likes of Webber, Wilson & Firman didnt wave back I thought they were pretty grounded.

Maybe F1 does need destroying so that it can be rebuilt into something better
Old 23 Jul 2003, 10:34 (Ref:669242)   #23
spearce
Racer

.....perhaps they were all suffering from RSI, pushing all those little buttons on their steering wheels too much ???
Old 23 Jul 2003, 10:59 (Ref:669273)   #24
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by PaulSands
That's down to the idividual drivers surely not F1 in general...I'm suprised that the likes of Webber, Wilson & Firman didnt wave back I thought they were pretty grounded.

Maybe F1 does need destroying so that it can be rebuilt into something better
Well its actually racing ettiquette. Drivers are always reminded to wave at the marshals at the end of a race. Its polite and it remibnds them that its a team effort.
Old 23 Jul 2003, 11:09 (Ref:669282)   #25
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Sadly a practice that seems to be disappearing outside of historic or classic racing Peter