Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 5 Jan 2004, 22:01 (Ref:828856)   #1
neilap
Veteran

Jamaica
neilap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Who in F1 now would want to be RS's teammate?

Do you think that Button or Webber would leave their respective teams to get paid 1/2 of what RS is getting? There is not guarantee the Williams will win a title anytime soon. The chances are higher than in the teams they are currently with but still, its insulting to be as good as they are and not to be properly compensated. Who pays RS? How can Williams afford to pay him and not pay JPM? Maybe BMW is footing some of the bill.

Last edited by neilap; 5 Jan 2004 at 22:02.
Old 5 Jan 2004, 22:11 (Ref:828863)   #2
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Ralf went to Williams on a long contract (or two) and started when they weren't competitive. That is why he has built up to his big wage.

Also surely, even if motivated solely by money, Webber and Button will go to Williams depending on the different with their current salary and not what Ralf may be getting?
Old 5 Jan 2004, 23:27 (Ref:828973)   #3
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
I think both drivers would go there for free!

We have'nt had a Ralf bash for a while, roll on.
Old 5 Jan 2004, 23:33 (Ref:828980)   #4
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
jhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
You guys crack me up.

I think Button or Webber would drive for whatever the wage if it meant a chance at race wins.

Now, TGF on the other would probably not drive a Williams for less than his team mate. Think of what the press would say???

Old 6 Jan 2004, 00:50 (Ref:829019)   #5
Mark Webber
Veteran

Australia
Australia
Mark Webber has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I think neither Button or Webber will end up there in the short term . Mark will end up at Renault and Button will stay put .
Old 6 Jan 2004, 01:30 (Ref:829043)   #6
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Webber
I think neither Button or Webber will end up there in the short term . Mark will end up at Renault and Button will stay put .
I believe that one of these two drivers are JPM's most likely replacement at Williams. Possibly, both if Williams decided to replace Rafe aswell.
Old 6 Jan 2004, 01:34 (Ref:829047)   #7
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
Who would want to be Ralfs team mate? JV! For probably half the price. Then wash the floor with Ralf and watch his value deflate to half of what JV was getting. Frank would be pleased to get a driver that good for that price, and Ralf could go somewhere else to earn a living. If not in GP's maybe DTM...
Old 6 Jan 2004, 05:28 (Ref:829133)   #8
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Button had a couple of races where he looked favorable to Ralf. Granted I think Ralf has improved massively since then. Ralf has probably had the longest learning curve of any driver, he seems to get substantially better as the years go on. Learning curve is perhaps a misnomer, but I don't see his brother as having his lap times decrease as time has passed. I don't think Ralf deserved his seat at Williams for the first couple of years there.
Old 6 Jan 2004, 06:14 (Ref:829148)   #9
RWC
Veteran

RWC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes ralf is subsidized by german interests.No way is he worth twice what JPM got(or thereabouts)

There is nothing a driver can do in this situation except embarass the hell out of ralf and tell everyone loud and often that ralf is a pay driver (efectively he is-allbeit a pretty fast one)
Old 6 Jan 2004, 06:34 (Ref:829156)   #10
corkholio
Veteran

corkholio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Snrub
I don't think Ralf deserved his seat at Williams for the first couple of years there.
Except for the fact that Ralf was the only driver to score for Williams (35 points more than his teammate who was supposed to take him to the cleaners too) during his first season there.
Old 6 Jan 2004, 06:46 (Ref:829157)   #11
Mr V
Veteran

England
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by Teretonga
Who would want to be Ralfs team mate? JV! For probably half the price. Then wash the floor with Ralf and watch his value deflate to half of what JV was getting. Frank would be pleased to get a driver that good for that price, and Ralf could go somewhere else to earn a living. If not in GP's maybe DTM...
But Williams currently have that with JPM
Old 6 Jan 2004, 14:09 (Ref:829458)   #12
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
i think one of the reasons for Ralf's high wage is the fact that he went to Williams when they werent competitive and scored good pts. for them. however if he wants a new contract the wage will reduce drmatically.
Old 6 Jan 2004, 14:25 (Ref:829477)   #13
darcym
Veteran

darcym should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have never seen ralphs value.

I have said this in other threads. F1 is the pinicle of motorsport, you either need to come in and be on the pace of the car straight away, due to your natural tallen (Kimi) or you need to gain enough experience (lower formula/testing etc) to be quick in your first season.

Ralph came into F1 out of his depth, and is only now becoming reasonable. I doubt if it wasn't for his family name name he would have lasted so long and been given as many chances as he has.

Button came into F1 young with little testing experience, yet was on the pace, as did Kimi and Shumacher senior.

Webber / Alonso / Pizzionia / came in via the experience gained in lower formulas/testing. Webber and Fernando where quick out of the box...therefore they said. pizzonia wasn't and was fired. F1 is the top flight, you should only get one shot at it, therefore you make sure when you do go into F1 you are more than ready.

Ralph was not ready, is not worth the cash he is paid, has had a massive learning curve, mouths off about his team mates constantly, and is constantly beat by every team mate except zinardi (button had less points but showed him up in his first season)

Kick ralph out and let some other guy with talent in !
Old 6 Jan 2004, 15:41 (Ref:829551)   #14
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
What does "The Firmanator" have to do with this?
Old 6 Jan 2004, 15:57 (Ref:829566)   #15
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
RalF (let's get this right in future, it's not that difficult) is defiatnely overpaid at present, due to BMW wanting a German driver. It doesn't take much to compare his performances with Montoya and see that Ralf getting 50% extra (maybe more) is ridiculous. Ever since Jenson went to Williams, Ralf has been outperformed if not outscored comfortably every year. When he's good, he's great, but he's very dependant on the car being perfect and having got qualifying right.

Frank changes both drivers more often than any of the other leading teams, so I wouldn't be surprised if Ralf does go after 2004, especially if he underperforms again.

However, there aren't many other Germanic options available, other than Nico Rosberg (who has lived in Germany all his life; he doesn't even speak Finnish) or Nelson Piquet Jr (who's mum is German), so BMW may have to renegé on that requirement. Webber's longterm Renault deal would make him difficult, and Button is signed to BAR on a long deal. One rookie (perhaps Bourdais or Wirdheim, other than the options above) alongside an experienced driver might be the approach taken.
Old 7 Jan 2004, 14:34 (Ref:830566)   #16
darcym
Veteran

darcym should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Apologies on Ralph V Ralf an easy mistake to make.

Perhaps Heidfield after a treading water year at Jordan. If he can beat Kimi (ok it was his first year) he can't be that bad, if they take heidfield, pick up webber or button, it will make a strong driver team, quite young, some good experience, 1 of them is german (I still don't understand why this matters to sponsors) I'd like to see that. Quite a good team
Old 7 Jan 2004, 15:08 (Ref:830589)   #17
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!
Read my signature.
Old 7 Jan 2004, 15:20 (Ref:830598)   #18
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Agree with those who say that both would like it very much to go to Williams, regardless of wage.
Which would probably be, anyways, higher than the one the get nowadays, and that's what realy matters.
Sure, should either of them outperform Ralf once again, some polemics could raise in the medium term, but not certainly at the moment of signing a contract.
Old 7 Jan 2004, 16:07 (Ref:830655)   #19
Mr V
Veteran

England
IF certain websites are to be believed, maybe Da Matta would like to be Rafes team-mate, or is it, maybe Rafe would like to be Da Matta's team-mate?
Old 11 Jan 2004, 04:33 (Ref:834044)   #20
TALAMASCA
Rookie

TALAMASCA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sir frank should just get on the phone and call JV and the the french candian to drive for free. following which he should get on the phone to fisi and tell him to drive for free as well. both drivers would kill to win and both drivers could win . plus there would be the extra 20 million in the bank to pour into the car .
If he cant have monty then this is the next best move i suppose
Old 11 Jan 2004, 05:55 (Ref:834060)   #21
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally posted by TALAMASCA
Sir frank should just get on the phone and call JV and the the french candian to drive for free.
Nooooooooooooooooooooo! We just got rid of him!
Old 11 Jan 2004, 06:11 (Ref:834065)   #22
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If I were Frank, I'd say the job was available, and the salary was that your salary would be $0 - and take the best applicant. I'm quite confident that there are drivers out there that would do as good a job as Ralf and Juan for $0.
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 11 Jan 2004, 06:18 (Ref:834067)   #23
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
Who wouldn't ?

I suspect that Frank thought Ralf would become as good as if not better than his brother when he hired him. I also suspect that Frank hired Ralf to secure the BMW engine, and that part of Ralf's salary was covered by BMW.

As for the question posed by Neilap, I think the only ones who would knock back a drive with Williams would be SchM and Kimi. So you can start with Rubens, DC, the Renault duo, etc. right down to Bernoldi; they would all give anything to land the second seat with Williams.
Old 11 Jan 2004, 06:51 (Ref:834074)   #24
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Bernoldi? His career went backwards the day he hooled up with Jelena...

C'Mon, Trust sell computer gear, Compaq/HP is computer gear... havent we made the connection yet?

Jos for Williams!
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 11 Jan 2004, 07:51 (Ref:834093)   #25
Skam85
Veteran

Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!
I think his wages have something to do with his surname....

And the to the Jos comment....

Bring Back Rosset!!!

Or Yoong!!

Or Bernoldi!!

ANYONE but HIM!!! PLEASE!!!!!