Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > National & International Single Seaters

Old 9 Jan 2004, 16:50 (Ref:832823)   #1
Tiptop
Racer

United Kingdom
Bristol
Tiptop should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Formula Ford Talent

How much talent is there in local championships ?

How much better is the guy winning at the front to the guys at the back ? Big differences ?

What makes the better drivers at a track that everyone is used to ?

And how much difference between a club formula ford driver and say someone like James Courtney/Lewis Hamilton when they were in formula ford (based on talent alone although that may be difficult due to budgets of the teams)
Old 9 Jan 2004, 16:59 (Ref:832833)   #2
DSM
Veteran

DSM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
...and also difficult because Hamilton didn't do FF!!!!

Seriously I would say there is a big difference between the front runner in top series and the guys at the back in the Clubbies.
However, if the guys at the back had had the opportunities and seat time as the guys at the top?? That's a different question......
Old 9 Jan 2004, 18:33 (Ref:832905)   #3
mattray
Veteran

mattray has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote from Tiptop
"How much better is the guy winning at the front to the guys at the back ? Big differences ?"

Look at a results sheet on MST!

"What makes the better drivers at a track everyone is used to?"

they go round the corners faster!

"And how much difference between a club formula ford driver and say someone like James Courtney/Lewis Hamilton when they were in formula ford (based on talent alone although that may be difficult due to budgets of the teams)"

If you put your hands about 23 inches apart and look in the mirror and say to yourself, "about this much" its about that much!

Matt
Old 11 Jan 2004, 19:19 (Ref:834550)   #4
kartingdad
Veteran

kartingdad has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I know a lad that went to brands hatch recently to race a Zetec in the winter series.

Never seen Brands before. Never driven on wets before. Within 5 laps he was 3 tenths of fastest, by the end of the day he was fastest, beating Scandinavian and American champions and guys who had been competing in Nat. Zetecs all year.

Thats the sort of talent that is languishing, thru lack of dosh, in regional championships.

Don't knock the regional stuff, there are some fast boys out there.
Old 11 Jan 2004, 21:31 (Ref:834684)   #5
mattray
Veteran

mattray has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
The wet is a great leveller!
Old 11 Jan 2004, 22:11 (Ref:834712)   #6
Dutch chap
Veteran

European Union
Holland
Dutch chap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I know a lad that went to brands hatch recently to race a Zetec in the winter series.

Never seen Brands before. Never driven on wets before. Within 5 laps he was 3 tenths of fastest, by the end of the day he was fastest, beating Scandinavian and American champions and guys who had been competing in Nat. Zetecs all year.

Thats the sort of talent that is languishing, thru lack of dosh, in regional championships.

Allways nice to see a new talented guy. Good you spotted him and letting us know. Who is he, what’s his name what is his background, what’s he going to do (= drive) coming season?
Old 11 Jan 2004, 22:13 (Ref:834713)   #7
Dutch chap
Veteran

European Union
Holland
Dutch chap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Oops, something went wrong with the quoting, sorry for that.
Old 11 Jan 2004, 22:49 (Ref:834738)   #8
kartingdad
Veteran

look at- www.goughracing.co.uk
Old 11 Jan 2004, 22:51 (Ref:834741)   #9
medler
Racer

medler should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So come on Kartingdad tell us who this lad was, never know I might be a rich person who wants to sponsor a talented driver. I'm not, but I am very nosey.
Old 11 Jan 2004, 22:52 (Ref:834742)   #10
medler
Racer

medler should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by kartingdad
look at- www.goughracing.co.uk
Wow! you are on the ball arn't you.
Old 11 Jan 2004, 23:45 (Ref:834804)   #11
kartingdad
Veteran

You have to be these days!
Old 11 Jan 2004, 23:47 (Ref:834808)   #12
Mackmot
Veteran

United Kingdom
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Mackmot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
hes not a clubbie as such, he's been trying to get into FF for ages but struggling with money. True clubbies are only there for the enjoyment.
Old 12 Jan 2004, 00:51 (Ref:834852)   #13
goughy
Racer

goughy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Very true Mackmot. I have been trying to get into National FF since the start of 2003 (so not that long). I'm young and like any young driver I have aspirations to compete at the highest level possible, although I think it’s important you are racing first and foremost because you enjoy it (why else would anyone do it). I won't lie; I'd love to progress and be in a position to race for free or better get paid.

Since I was 14 I have always competed at the highest level of competition I could afford. This year it has been NW FF1600 and racing with guys like John Hutchinson has done me the world of good.

Now its looking very good that I will be in the UK National championship this year. It’s been through sheer hard work, spending money I did not have and putting my racing ahead of all else that it has become possible to get the funding to do it this year.

Sure, I wish I could have been doing it when I was 18, but racing in club competition, paying for everything yourself, working on your own car, understanding what works and what does not work, has taught me a lot a valuable lessons, again what racing is all about. I’ve said it before, but a feel there is a lot to be said for club racing in terms of driver development.

So, no not a true clubby, but hey, that’s where my roots are. Hope to see you on the grid this year Mackmot.

Stu