Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 20 Mar 2004, 03:57 (Ref:911425)   #1
Flavinha
Racer

Flavinha should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Dale Coyne To Field Two Cars In 2004 Champ Car

Long-Time Champ Car Competitor To Announce Drivers Shortly

DALE COYNE RACING ON BOARD FOR TWO CARS IN 2004 BRIDGESTONE PRESENTS THE CHAMP CAR WORLD SERIES POWERED BY FORD SEASON
INDIANAPOLIS (March 19, 2004) – Long-time Champ Car competitor Dale Coyne Racing today announced plans to field two cars in the entire 2004 Bridgestone Presents The Champ Car World Series Powered by Ford season.

“When I came on board at Champ Car, many people told me the loyalty and dedication that Mr. Coyne had for our sport,” said Champ Car president Dick Eidswick. “Dale Coyne Racing has been part of the Champ Car family for more than 20 years and has played a major role in recognizing and developing young talent through the years. We are pleased to have an owner the caliber of Dale Coyne continue our vision and growth for the future.”

The team will announce the drivers of its two-car effort in the near future. The Plainfield, Ill.-based operation is also busy preparing its Ford-powered Lola chassis for testing.

“We have had a long, successful relationship with Champ Car since our beginnings back in 1984,” said Coyne, a former Champ Car driver. “Now is the time that those of us who believe in the product must support the series. We plan to have our drivers finalized within five to 10 days, and will begin testing immediately thereafter.”

Last year, Dale Coyne Racing entered two cars in all 18 rounds of the Champ Car World Series, with drivers Gualter Salles, Geoff Boss, Joel Camathias, Alex Yoong, Roberto Gonzalez, and Alex Sperafico each making starts for the team. Salles earned the squad’s best result of the season with a sixth place run at Surfers Paradise.

Another great news!!!!
Old 20 Mar 2004, 04:12 (Ref:911445)   #2
Flatspot
Veteran

United States
Salt Lake City
Flatspot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Coyne deserves a special award for tenacity.
Old 20 Mar 2004, 04:15 (Ref:911448)   #3
Dov
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Dov should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Even though I rag on Dale Coyne Racing sometimes, I would like to thank him for his loyalty to the CCWS!!! Your the Man Dale!!!
Old 20 Mar 2004, 05:13 (Ref:911475)   #4
sgw2
Racer

United States
Sunnyvale, California
sgw2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think this is a non-announcement announcement.

Dale Coyne, at the request of OWRS, is simply saying he'll bring two cars with seat-for-rent signs to Long Beach. The three amigos will make sure some warm bodies occupy them, just as they have contacted some Infiniti Pro teams to hustle some crews for the rent-a-rides.

Four to go.
Old 20 Mar 2004, 06:10 (Ref:911507)   #5
sgw2
Racer

United States
Sunnyvale, California
sgw2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
er ... make that three (3) to go
Old 20 Mar 2004, 07:54 (Ref:911628)   #6
Amar7605
Veteran

United States
Elk Grove, CA
Amar7605 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Probably, sgw2. It might be no more than a glorified 'help wanted' sign to any driver who's interested.
Old 20 Mar 2004, 08:58 (Ref:911736)   #7
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Can DCR field 6 cars comfortably?
Old 20 Mar 2004, 11:15 (Ref:911879)   #8
Duffacus
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nottingham, UK
Duffacus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
We need more people like Dale Coyne! I'm glad he chose this decision

Brundle: Didn’t see too many in practice
Old 20 Mar 2004, 12:26 (Ref:911950)   #9
indycool
Veteran

indycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridindycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The good sign with an incomplete announcement like this is that OWRS opened its checkbook and is cutting deals to find some race cars for Long Beach. As far as drivers go, they'll go for whoever they can saddle up cheap or try to cut the deficit required to make the deal with Coyne. I hope this process doesn't reach the level of dangerous.

As sgw2 said, this is a "non-announcement announcement"
Old 20 Mar 2004, 13:06 (Ref:911974)   #10
Straightup
Rookie

Straightup should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Glad to hear it, but I'm having a tough time getting excited about Coyne Racing entering 2 cars. Maybe because its another of the announcements with a forthcoming announcement or maybe because in the past his teams have never been contenders(exception is with Alex Barron).

Here is what I read. I'm committed to the series, but I cannot tell you who my driver(s) will be at the first race let alone the season nor can I announce any sponsorship deal at this time.

It is a positive announcement comming out of OWRS and sounds good on the surface, but I'm to the point I want to know who's driving the car(s) and is the deal for the entire year. Then and only then will I consider this chicken hatched. I guess we need to wait another week or so to find out the details. Show me the money....
Old 20 Mar 2004, 15:28 (Ref:912094)   #11
racinthestreets
Racer

racinthestreets should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I guess we need to wait another week or so to find out the details. Show me the money....

Exactly what Dale Coyne is asking from the drivers available
Old 20 Mar 2004, 19:54 (Ref:912641)   #12
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Even the most overly optimistic Coyne supporter would have to conceed that he's getting money from the OWRS guys, especially when he's running TWO cars. There is no other way he could do it. This brings up a couple of questions:
1. Why would Forsythe spend money to field Coyne when he could spend money on his own team to run Pat?
2. If Fernandez had a mere fraction of what Coyne must be getting would he still be in the series? Not giving money to Fernandez ment taking a gamble so great it could end the series. I have trouble understanding this...

Odd stuff.
Old 20 Mar 2004, 20:02 (Ref:912661)   #13
indycool
Veteran

indycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridindycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Valid points, Snrub.....I can't even think of "maybes" for answers, unless Coyne came cheaper.
Old 20 Mar 2004, 21:01 (Ref:912750)   #14
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
Snrub - good points. One would wonder what value Geoff Boss brings to the series (aside from sponsorship $$ for Coyne) that would make it more of a priority to keep him rather than Fernandez.

I wonder what the difference is between some of the teams who have gone to IRL and are criticized for following the money and guys like Coyne who really do nothing more than subsist off of someone else's sponsors and someone elses aspirations?

(editing like crazy today - can't type worth a darn this afternoon!)

Last edited by JohnSSC; 20 Mar 2004 at 21:02.
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 20 Mar 2004, 21:30 (Ref:912781)   #15
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
god DAMN it i though that was going to be something i needed to hear. poo!

i hope justin wilson isn't one of the drivers. he deserves better.

will everyone please (i'll only say it maybe 5 times more ) get over their high horses about people bringing money. it's the only way your series will survive.
Old 20 Mar 2004, 21:42 (Ref:912793)   #16
Marcel ten Caat
Veteran

Netherlands
The Netherlands
Marcel ten Caat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMarcel ten Caat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is Dale Coyne teaming up with Eddie Jordan?

2 yellow cars, 2 Irish drivers...what's next, Giorgio Pantano and Timo Glock? :P

Last edited by Marcel ten Caat; 20 Mar 2004 at 21:42.
Old 20 Mar 2004, 21:43 (Ref:912794)   #17
Flatspot
Veteran

United States
Salt Lake City
Quote:
Originally posted by bella
will everyone please (i'll only say it maybe 5 times more ) get over their high horses about people bringing money. it's the only way your series will survive.
Thank You bella!
Old 20 Mar 2004, 22:16 (Ref:912836)   #18
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
Interesting post there, Stranger.
I didn't realize the Irish-thing until now.
My new favourite team, should that happen!
OWRS should work on a race through Boston!
Old 20 Mar 2004, 22:59 (Ref:912919)   #19
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
michael did carry 'ireland' in dirty great big letters on the side of his car when he tested - potential extension to stranger's point?

and how many "irish" americans will jump on that bandwagon if it happens? smart thinking by coyne if everything comes together.
Old 21 Mar 2004, 01:14 (Ref:913157)   #20
Tenoch
Veteran

United States
Another Michigan Town
Tenoch should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Does anyone know why the coyne cars are always as long as I can remember yellow?
Old 21 Mar 2004, 01:35 (Ref:913189)   #21
GBoehm
Racer

United States
San Ramon, CA
GBoehm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If both drivers are Irish I can imagine the beer comercials now... by the way my humor is in jest
Old 21 Mar 2004, 02:19 (Ref:913274)   #22
corkholio
Veteran

corkholio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Tenoch
Does anyone know why the coyne cars are always as long as I can remember yellow?
So the corner workers wouldn't have to wave the flag the entire race.
Old 21 Mar 2004, 02:21 (Ref:913276)   #23
GBoehm
Racer

United States
San Ramon, CA
GBoehm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
that was a bit harsh corkholio but sorta true
Old 21 Mar 2004, 03:37 (Ref:913354)   #24
Flatspot
Veteran

United States
Salt Lake City
That's not true...
They would have been blue with yellow stripes if it were.
Old 21 Mar 2004, 04:23 (Ref:913375)   #25
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Given the current circumstances I'm glad Coyne exists to get the season going. We needed him last year too. I have to admit that towards the end of the season I was a bit frustrated with the fact that they did not have the slightest hint of success. The only exception being Yoong who showed he deserved to be in the series on merit. The lack of success begged the question why did they deserve to get their cars paid for when someone else could have taken that money and run much more successfully?

Everyone talked of how Coyne ran on fumes (money-wise) and did something special. Manning ran far more successfully with a Reynard and didn't break ANYTHING. Coyne drivers were chronic accident causers and ran through more parts than half of the field combined.