Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > National & International Single Seaters

Old 8 Jun 2004, 17:20 (Ref:997551)   #1
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Danny Watts, Lola & Promatecme

There's so much negative stuff on here about British F3 that I thought I would start my first thread and point out what a great job Danny Watts did at the weekend in the Promatecme-run Lola-Dome.

5th from p7 on the grid in the Saturday race, with the third fastest lap of the race; 6th from p11 on the grid in race 1 on Sunday and 5th again from p6 on the grid in race 2. And that included a couple of serious attempts at getting past Piquet.

According to my figures, that puts him 10th in the Championship despite having missed three races and crashed out of another in avoidance of someone else. This from a driver who is skint and a team that is running the car on a shoestring. Someone should get in there and give them and Lola a helping hand. The car is clearly on the pace now and headed for a podium sooner rather later.
Old 8 Jun 2004, 17:23 (Ref:997555)   #2
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I wonder if the car has had much development or if it just suited this track a bit better?
Old 8 Jun 2004, 18:02 (Ref:997587)   #3
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
i think they probably did the smart thing and saved themselves the hassle of stinking the place down at knockhill and did well instead at snett with the same money.
Old 8 Jun 2004, 18:58 (Ref:997638)   #4
Tweed
Veteran

Wales
North Wales
Tweed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
why does no-one with any money pick up on Danny? He should be in Dallara Nissan or something now
Old 8 Jun 2004, 19:33 (Ref:997672)   #5
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Tweed
He should be in Dallara Nissan or something now
Why?
Old 8 Jun 2004, 19:36 (Ref:997682)   #6
littleman
Veteran

littleman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridlittleman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The Lola-Dome project will eventually provide F3 teams with a genuine alternative to the Dallara. Over the next 18 months, remember there's new cars for next year, it will become a winner. I believe Watts will be on the podium before the seasons over and may stay next year for a championship assault. Either way, Lola know his worth and can help him move towards A1,Champ Cars or Sports Cars.
Old 8 Jun 2004, 19:36 (Ref:997683)   #7
Tweed
Veteran

Wales
North Wales
He's had enough experience in F3 now, someone like Keohane's been in DNissan and Danny's at least where he is in terms of his career, IMO. Don't you think another year in F3 for him next year would turn him into a Warren Hughes or a Ben Collins?
Old 8 Jun 2004, 19:38 (Ref:997684)   #8
Kicking-back
Veteran

He's good, but I don't know if he has what it takes for a higher level.
Old 8 Jun 2004, 19:59 (Ref:997710)   #9
Tweed
Veteran

Wales
North Wales
Quote:
Originally posted by Kicking-back
He's good, but I don't know if he has what it takes for a higher level.
how do you rate him, alongside Robbie Kerr?
Higher?
Lower?
Old 8 Jun 2004, 20:04 (Ref:997713)   #10
Kicking-back
Veteran

I think Robbie's better - certainly achieved the better results in F3, he was the champion after all.

I'm not sure if drivers should move up a category just because they've done X number of races in a series.
Old 8 Jun 2004, 20:21 (Ref:997732)   #11
Tweed
Veteran

Wales
North Wales
no, I don't mean that, otherwise Tor Graves would be in the middle of his 3rd F1 season! Just that he's a bit older than Piquet, Rossiter and a few others and his career will probably stagnate a bit if next year he's still trying to cobble together an F3 season
Old 8 Jun 2004, 20:31 (Ref:997752)   #12
Kicking-back
Veteran

Piquet and Rossiter are the future, yes.

The thing is at every step upwards in a single-seater racing career, there's always going to be a few who drop off the ladder, and go to sportscars, touring cars or whatever.
Old 8 Jun 2004, 22:56 (Ref:997888)   #13
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
I think if you were to ask Manor and Promatecme/Lola, they would say Danny was a brilliant development driver and he does seem to be getting more out of the Lola than Robbie did in his one-off outing in the car last year, but that was then and I'm talking about now.

I'm not sure that another season in F3 would necessarily be a good thing, but wasn't he in Renault for quite a while before hitting the jackpot?

Last edited by strider; 8 Jun 2004 at 22:58.
Old 8 Jun 2004, 22:56 (Ref:997889)   #14
littleman
Veteran

littleman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridlittleman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
In a perfect world, Watts should have done two years in FRenault instead of three, two in F3 and then F3000 this year. It's not a perfect world though and it's so hard to keep moving up the ladder if you haven't got the finances.Robbie Kerr has exactly the same problems and talent wise there wasn't much to choose between them back in their karting days.
Old 8 Jun 2004, 23:55 (Ref:997922)   #15
Mr Jinxx
Veteran

United Kingdom
Isle of Man
Mr Jinxx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They seem very similar in many ways. Neither have ever been lucky enough to attract a long-term backer. Both have won races and championships, yet this has still not happened for them. Why?? Both have also then appeared not to shine in other championships (Danny in F3, Robbie in V6) - uncompetitive teams? In their different ways, both very personable blokes. Danny more "in yer face" but Robbie the more naturally quick driver, I think. Both reputedly very experiened and good at setting up a car.
Sit in a chair, lift your right leg off the ground, point your toes forward and draw CLOCKWISE circles in the air with your foot. Then raise your right hand and draw the number 6 in the air with your index finger. Your foot will change direction. If you can't even do this simple coordination task, how could you drive a racing car?
Old 9 Jun 2004, 06:30 (Ref:998071)   #16
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Lola could develop a good car next year, but asbout Danny, well I'm not sure that one more year in F3 would help his career.
Old 9 Jun 2004, 15:28 (Ref:998567)   #17
Sid The Manager
Racer

Sid The Manager should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You also have to remember that this years Lola has the new front end + development bits manufactured because of Robbies input last year.

As far as Robbie in V6 goes, the team has no set up data and starts each race weekend basically a year behind the other teams
Old 9 Jun 2004, 15:38 (Ref:998572)   #18
Kicking-back
Veteran

I think Robbie's name should definitely be on one of the new GP2 cars next year.
Old 9 Jun 2004, 15:41 (Ref:998575)   #19
Sid The Manager
Racer

Working on that, can you help?
Old 9 Jun 2004, 15:46 (Ref:998578)   #20
Kicking-back
Veteran

If I was in a position to bring sponsorship to a driver, Robbie would certainly be high on the list.
Old 9 Jun 2004, 15:49 (Ref:998583)   #21
Sid The Manager
Racer

Most people don't realise the contacts they actually have, and most drivers who haven't got a budget already know the person or company that could get their career sorted, the trick is recognising who they are!
Old 9 Jun 2004, 15:57 (Ref:998591)   #22
Kicking-back
Veteran

Very astute reasoning, Sid.

It's a pity a few more don't take that attitude rather than moaning about not getting the breaks.