Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 20 Jun 2004, 21:26 (Ref:1010081)   #1
Yoong Montoya
Veteran

Yoong Montoya should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Will Ralf be back for the next race in France?

Ralf has just had his second concussion in less than a year. But will he be back for France or will he have to miss 1 or 2 races while he recovers? Or even have to retire altogether?

No matter whether you like Ralf or not, you have to admit that no one deserves to have their career end like that.
Old 20 Jun 2004, 21:29 (Ref:1010085)   #2
Tweed
Veteran

Wales
North Wales
Tweed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't think it was a career-ending shunt. It might be one of those that continues to take it's toll over the next few days.
Old 20 Jun 2004, 21:29 (Ref:1010086)   #3
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
The only way we will know this is when we get told by Ralf, Williams or a doctor involved. Not much we can contribute because we are factless!

I hope that there is no real problem and he will be back in the car ASAP.
Old 20 Jun 2004, 21:42 (Ref:1010106)   #4
Dani Filth
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
Dani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
i hope to see him in the car at Magny Cours . he has the title to defend there ..

Ciao Marco
Old 20 Jun 2004, 22:14 (Ref:1010166)   #5
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
Damon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'd think that his racing in France would be unlikely at this stage. As Frank said, he's going to be spending a few days in hospital, and this is the second case of concussion inside a year (not healthy). For his own health and safety it'd surely be better for him to sit out the next one.
Old 20 Jun 2004, 22:50 (Ref:1010211)   #6
Utopian
Rookie

Utopian should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If not, it will be interesting to see how Marc Gene fares (I presume he's the stand-by driver)..perhaps he could put himself in contention for the seat alongside Webber next year.
Old 21 Jun 2004, 00:41 (Ref:1010261)   #7
Kirk
Veteran

Kirk has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I wouldn't assume that.
Old 21 Jun 2004, 01:01 (Ref:1010269)   #8
Ralf
Racer

Ralf has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Hope he's OK for the next race.
But if not, give Villeneuve a drive!

If he's driving next season, why not?
Old 21 Jun 2004, 01:54 (Ref:1010284)   #9
Big Mac
Racer

Big Mac should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think FW has a phone number just for this situation...

1800 villeneuve!!

(Just jokes!)
Old 21 Jun 2004, 06:50 (Ref:1010362)   #10
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Prof Sid Watkins has been looking into concussions in drivers very closely, particularly in terms of two events in close (ish) proximity and the danger of an increased injury if another head injury occurs shortly after a driver has been concussed.

For this reason, I think that Ralf will miss the French GP, as Prof SW will want to ensure he has made a very good recovery before taking further risk. IMO.
Old 21 Jun 2004, 07:54 (Ref:1010404)   #11
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
With the main concern that Ralf's ok, i do think it is wise that Ralf takes a short break from F1 for a race, relaxing with his wife on a holiday. It's not just a physical state, but also a mental state...i'm sure such a heavy crash would have affected Ralf quite a bit.

Although it is unfortunate to see a driver taking "off" due to such situations, it's only wise rather than to compromise safety and performance..who knows..Ralf may come back stronger.

And considering that both Williams drivers are out of the WDC hunt, such a break won't cost Ralfie much...esp if he had already tied down a contract for next year.

As much as some people hate/dislike Ralf, i must say that it's with relief to know that Ralf's ok - a timely reminder that no matter who the driver is, they are all here for racing, a sports they love, and to see/wish them hurt or anything is the last thing on anybody's mind.

i have full faith in the medical team of F1, and the supporting medical agencies around the world who works with Sid & co.

As for possible replacement...it shouldn't be a concern, but i would think Gene would be drafted in, maybe the next race can even work as a "trial" for potential replacements at Williams next season who currently isn't contracted to anybody (read JV)
Old 21 Jun 2004, 08:23 (Ref:1010427)   #12
jetsetter
Veteran

Australia
Ipswich Qld Australia
jetsetter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't think either Williams or Ralf will put his well being at risk by an early comeback, i think that Ralf will be looking at a couple of races in the stands.
Old 21 Jun 2004, 08:30 (Ref:1010436)   #13
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
On autosport there is reported of a Mario Theissen's statement, about Ralf taking a break for the French GP.

Useless to post the link, for the reason we all know.
Old 21 Jun 2004, 14:43 (Ref:1010822)   #14
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Ceefax are saying he could make it, ITV are saying he probably won't. Two different views as words confuse, I guess, and we'll ahve to wait and see which is right. I'd advise him to take the race off of there's any risk of concussion
Old 21 Jun 2004, 14:52 (Ref:1010834)   #15
garcon
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I doubt he'll be ready in time for France, which also makes Silverstone a doubt only a week later.

There's no reason for Ralf to race again until he's fit and ready. And that may take a few weeks. I'd rather see him fit, happy and focussed for his last few Williams GPs than rushing back too soon.

As for who substitutes, it'll be Gene or Pizzonia. I say give Pizzaman a go.
Old 21 Jun 2004, 14:52 (Ref:1010835)   #16
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
If Ralf doesn't race, Marc Gene will stand in as he is the team's reserve driver.

It would probably be wise for Ralf to take a little break, but let's hope he's back to full fitness soon.
Old 21 Jun 2004, 14:54 (Ref:1010836)   #17
Suzy
Retired
Veteran

Suzy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's up to Professor Sid Watkins to decide if Ralf races or not.
Old 21 Jun 2004, 14:56 (Ref:1010842)   #18
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It's up to Sid to say whether Ralf is ALLOWED to race.

It may be that he gets clearance but then doesn't feel ready.
Old 21 Jun 2004, 14:57 (Ref:1010844)   #19
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Though it is the dear Doctor's decision, I think we are not wrong to suggest that Ralf probably will not race in France. This is his SECOND concussion in one year and from what I know of brain injuries, they become increasingly worse with each repetition. He may well miss more than race, I think it would be Hockenheim before we see him again.

I forgot to add that given the severity of the crash, there is a possibility that he might not be cleared to race for the rest of the season. Should he be forced to step down, this could put both the Willy's and TOYOTA seats into question for 2005.
Old 21 Jun 2004, 14:57 (Ref:1010846)   #20
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Ralf missing the French GP is almost a certainty. He wouldn't be cleared of a concussion that severe only a fortnight after.

Actually, IMO this could be like Piquet in 1987 (without the championship challenge). He crash at Imola affected him all year. I wouldn't be surprised if the same thing happens to Ralf.

So, all in all, I expect M. Gene to be on the side of the car in France.
Old 21 Jun 2004, 15:10 (Ref:1010864)   #21
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
Red should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If (most probably and wise) Ralf doesn't race in France, most probably it'll be Gene who replaces him.
Old 21 Jun 2004, 15:12 (Ref:1010867)   #22
Kirk
Veteran

Kirk has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Well, we all know it's just a matter of time for the rumours to flow. So I will start it out by saying that if there was any truth whatsoever of earlier reports of Ralf's estranged relationship with PH/FW ... here we have the perfect opportunity to have Ralf sit and bring in his (potential) replacement.
From Ralf's perspective, it may be in his best interest to rest for at least one race and likely longer, after two concussions in a relatively short time span.
Old 21 Jun 2004, 15:18 (Ref:1010879)   #23
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
Red should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
RE cold relations with the team; something that I noticed at Canadian GP. I do not remember when I saw such enthusiasm in mechanichs team when one of their drivers got a podium. It really struck me, they're usually so reserved an cool.
Old 21 Jun 2004, 15:23 (Ref:1010886)   #24
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by Kirk
here we have the perfect opportunity to have Ralf sit and bring in his (potential) replacement.
Do you really think that Jaguar will allow Webber to race for Williams in the next couple of races then?

Williams need points, that is why i'm sure that they would have a driver who has done thousands of miles in the car, not draft in a driver who hasn't been in any F1 car for 9 months or so.

The main thing is that Rafe's ok, of course.
Old 21 Jun 2004, 15:41 (Ref:1010914)   #25
Tracey
Racer

England
In front of a PC
Tracey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Let's not forget that F1 drivers have a way above average level of fitness. This may be in Ralph's favour to help his recovery and get him back in the car. At the end of the day though, it will be a joint decision between him and Prof. Sid.