Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 5 Dec 2004, 10:40 (Ref:1171167)   #1
Also a Believer
Veteran

Also a Believer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have changed my mind

Its funny how and where things happen that change your opinion on how things are done and thought about. After watching the telecast from the safety of my lounge this afternnon whilst refelecting on a conversation had this morning I have changed my mind.

The story goes like this,

At 8.30 this morning whilst standing in front of the Westin Motel in Pitt Street sydney waiting for my car to brought from the bowels of thge building by one of the attentive staff I had thoe fortune of bumping onto Mr Caddich dressed in the slendor of his v8 out fit and obviously on his way to EC. He was probaly thinking at the time get me out of here as I approached as minuted before I had been playing the fool and and carrying on with stupidity with my wife. I introduced myself and asked a few questions about his series and the vision,whilst his answers where gaurded as expected we did manage a discussion on the support catagories and in some point the costs now associated with the running of even these classes of motorsport. Whilst I will keep the content to myself out of respect the man concerned was passionate about his sport and its future. This prompted a though or two on 2004 and what we have seen this year delivered by the systems in place for this catagory.

We and I mean me as well have critisized the points system this year yet it gave us a series that went down to the final round and even then a driver still comes from 4th to 2nd in the series. I ask if we had another system and the result was known 3 rounds ago would we have still watched so intently. I am sure that there are a number of things we have been critical about on these forums but at the end of the day we still have the best series in the world and I for one will never doubt the passion of those steering it, might not agree sometimes but the passion I now know exists
Old 5 Dec 2004, 10:51 (Ref:1171175)   #2
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Passion does not equal competence...
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 5 Dec 2004, 11:13 (Ref:1171194)   #3
Also a Believer
Veteran

But it does keep us motivated......
Old 5 Dec 2004, 11:14 (Ref:1171195)   #4
pete55
Veteran

pete55 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So that's where you've been AAB, fooling around with your wife. Anyway if the points system is so good this year why are they going to chance it again next year.
Old 5 Dec 2004, 11:22 (Ref:1171203)   #5
Also a Believer
Veteran

your guess is as good as mine pete, not saying all is right or wrong anymore just happy to know that I saw something first hand that made me stop and think and not be hasty to condemn
Old 5 Dec 2004, 11:38 (Ref:1171216)   #6
Falcadore
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Falcadore should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well I guess it comes to how much of a purist you are. If we have to have a points system that HAS to come down to the final event, then what is the point of running rounds 1-12? Why not just award the trophy to the driver you like the most? Or better yet, let them race all season for little aparent reason and then have a phone in poll at the final race to see which driver the country thinks should be the champion? That's televisions prefered method of measuring achievement at the moment right?

If one driver/team combination is significantly better, should he/they not be rewarded for those efforts and not penalised because of some desire to apply the lowest common denominator to a supposedly professional series?
Old 5 Dec 2004, 11:52 (Ref:1171232)   #7
pete55
Veteran

I agree Falcadore. If after all the parity issues are sorted out and they are close now plus the cost cutting control items are implemented, i can't see why we have to have a points system that doesn't reward achievers both on the management side and the driver ability. In the past we haven't had parity but we probably do now as close as possible then why not reward the people doing the best job.
As Falcadore says why have all the other rounds if they are going to artificially negate those rounds from having any affect on championship standings anyway.
Old 5 Dec 2004, 12:01 (Ref:1171241)   #8
retro
Veteran

Australia
....Qld....
retro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridretro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
[QUOTE=pete55]I agree Falcadore. If after all the parity issues are sorted out and they are close now plus the cost cutting control items are implemented, i can't see why we have to have a points system that doesn't reward achievers both on the management side and the driver ability. In the past we haven't had parity but we probably do now as close as possible then why not reward the people doing the best job.
QUOTE]

The cost cutting issue that has been raised by Avesco/Tega and driven by Mark Larkham is dead in the water atm.

»-(¯`v´¯)-»........................The retro report........................©®»-(¯`v´¯)-» ê¿~

Disclaimer; the above is pure speculation and only posted for entertainment purposes!!!
Old 5 Dec 2004, 12:11 (Ref:1171253)   #9
pete55
Veteran

Not all of it Retro.
Old 6 Dec 2004, 07:45 (Ref:1172021)   #10
Schrodes
Rookie

Australia
Sydney ish
Schrodes should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I introduced myself and asked a few questions about his series and the vision...
OUR series.
Old 6 Dec 2004, 07:56 (Ref:1172027)   #11
DarthFalcon
Racer

Australia
Yavin
DarthFalcon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schrodes
OUR series.
Shhh! Don't let TC hear you say such things!
Old 6 Dec 2004, 12:57 (Ref:1172216)   #12
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Also a Believer
I am sure that there are a number of things we have been critical about on these forums but at the end of the day we still have the best series in the world
If it is the best series in the world, why is there the need of a unfortunate point system, just to get the series down to the last round.
Old 6 Dec 2004, 14:00 (Ref:1172322)   #13
StuiE
Veteran

StuiE should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Also a Believer
We and I mean me as well have critisized the points system this year yet it gave us a series that went down to the final round and even then a driver still comes from 4th to 2nd in the series. I ask if we had another system and the result was known 3 rounds ago would we have still watched so intently.
I don't think anyone really thought anyone other than Marcos was going to win the Championship, it was obvious before Tassie, just because it's 'mathematically possible' doesn't really change the racing. I presonally couldn't care less about the championship, I just watch each race, and hope it is a good one.

"I think we broke something.......Traction" -Carl Edwards 19/8/06 MIS

05 - Peter Brock