Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 20 Dec 2004, 10:45 (Ref:1183784)   #1
Led ZeppF1
Veteran

Indonesia
Jakarta, Indonesia
Led ZeppF1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
JPM, The Best Latin American Driver

Juan Pablo Montoya has been voted as best Latin American driver of the year in Miami on Wednesday. TV channel Fox Sports highlighted the achievements of Montoya this season, awarding also sportsmen in other sports deciplines.

JPM will spend a few days more in Miami, before flying back to Europe in order to continue his preparation for the 2005 F1 season.

http://www.f1racing.net/en/news.php?newsID=72066

Good luck Juan Pablo!
Old 20 Dec 2004, 11:35 (Ref:1183814)   #2
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
This must make Rubens feel sorta slighted. Never mind, Rubens is busy counting his money.
Old 20 Dec 2004, 11:39 (Ref:1183819)   #3
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
And losing respect rapidly....
Old 20 Dec 2004, 12:12 (Ref:1183845)   #4
N I Tram
Veteran

N I Tram should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Virtually everyone put JPM above Rubens in their 'driver of 2004' listings, so this should come as no surprise., The only serious rival for the honur is Tony Kanaan, the IRL champion.
Old 20 Dec 2004, 12:14 (Ref:1183846)   #5
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Alan Jones didn't (see Autosport). He put Rubens second overall!
Old 20 Dec 2004, 12:17 (Ref:1183849)   #6
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
pirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Rubens did alright didn't he?
Not his best season, but it was a good season for him nonetheless IMO.
Montoya doesn't deserve the award more IMHO.
Old 20 Dec 2004, 13:19 (Ref:1183919)   #7
N I Tram
Veteran

N I Tram should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm not sure you can even say Rubens did 'alright' - he made very poor use of such an amazing car. In a season his team-mate dominated like no other driver in history, Rubens only beat all the other non-Ferrari cars about half the time, despite having few mechanical problems all season. He was certainly stronger in 2003.
Old 20 Dec 2004, 13:23 (Ref:1183925)   #8
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
IMO Kanaan at #1, JPM's season was overal uncolourful, despite his late win at Interlagos.
Old 20 Dec 2004, 13:30 (Ref:1183929)   #9
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Kanaan would have been a good choice, but the higher profile will give F1 drivers an advantage. I think JPM was probably the best S. American. I thought the start of the season was good despite the car and the end (after Ralf came back) was good too. The middle, when Ralf was away, has question marks.

Rubens, I agree with those above - he underperformed in a Ferrari.
Old 20 Dec 2004, 15:05 (Ref:1184004)   #10
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Shows the lack of talent coming from South America at this moment in time...

Jpm was brilliant in 2003... but in 2004 apart from a couple of races he was off colour by his standards...
Old 20 Dec 2004, 15:14 (Ref:1184013)   #11
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
Red should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What did you expect more of Rubens? He got second, 29 good points ahead 3rd placed man, he got 2 wins, 4 poles..

Quite indeed, he could do much better, I agree, and we can surely say he underperformed. But to say that in same context with "JPM the best South-American racer and his achievements this year" is a bit too much.
Old 20 Dec 2004, 15:26 (Ref:1184030)   #12
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
JPM wasn't driving a Ferrari though.
Old 20 Dec 2004, 15:37 (Ref:1184044)   #13
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Didn't Montoya out-score Ralf in the 12 races they both started? And, for all the (mostly deserved) criticism of his mid-season form, he still comfortably outdid both Gené and Pizzonia in those races. He was probably the unluckiest driver in the top teams as well. As for Rubens, I think he could've done a lot more with the car. 2 wins out of 18 is pathetic in the best car, especially as they only came on weekends when Michael was off-form, and the 29-points gap only really came due to the other Michelin teams not being consistant.
Old 20 Dec 2004, 15:45 (Ref:1184050)   #14
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
Red should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralf fan
Shows the lack of talent coming from South America at this moment in time...
Shows the lack of talent coming from journalists actually. I don't dispute those facts above, but, tyres, Ferrari or whatever you want, Rubens did have a better season than Montoya.
Old 20 Dec 2004, 16:22 (Ref:1184080)   #15
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Most people would say that he didn't. Winning one race in a car only 2 other podiums were scored with seems better than winning 2 races in a car a dominant championship was taken in.
Old 20 Dec 2004, 16:53 (Ref:1184113)   #16
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It's very unfortunate for Rubens in that he had a good season, but Schumacher had a great one.

In 2004, JPM and Rubens were actually quite on par if we were to judge them quality wise. Indeed, given the car, Rubens had only "won twice", and the times he beat his teammate could be counted by a hand... but hey, he had Michael Schumacher as his teammate and not some Ralfs, Genes and Pizzonia.

Look BEYOND the equipment. Rubens did a pretty neat season, he's at least much more consistent in his performance. Speed wise, Rubens had more often than not been there near the top. JPM had a decent season, but far from great..and i think neither really qualify to be called "best", unless there's really a low expectation from latin drivers.

RB and JPM were pretty much fairly well matched that neither really have a superior season over the other.
Old 20 Dec 2004, 17:25 (Ref:1184147)   #17
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Oh..but anyways sorry if the previous post sound as if i'm holding something against JPM, its not intended, i'm merely trying to stand up for Rubens against some unwarranted criticism

Anyway, any awards are good awards and should be congratulated. I think it will serve to spur JPM on and improve his game to greater heights!
Old 20 Dec 2004, 18:14 (Ref:1184183)   #18
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The fact that it took till Indianapolis for Rubens to actually out quly Michael...proves that he really was not on top form...
Rubens actually won those two races after Michelle had won the championship and MS by then was not going at 100 %... with the exception being Monza..

and with all his podiums as well if you look at the time difference between MS and him no matter how well Ms is doing there really shouldnt be such a huge gap.
16 secs in Spain, 20 in Aus, 20 at the Hungaroring and he was almost 40 secs clear at Monaco when Ms had that shunt.
Old 20 Dec 2004, 18:23 (Ref:1184192)   #19
Tweed
Veteran

Wales
North Wales
Tweed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No doubt that Montoya drove better than Barrichello this year, even if he hadn't won in Brazil.

Alan Jones' list made me laugh!
Old 20 Dec 2004, 18:35 (Ref:1184203)   #20
Racer

Antarctica
FL
2112 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Why would anyone be surprised on RB`s status as a driver? If there was a picture in the dictionary next to the word "follow"er, his mug would be next to it.
He accepts this too.
. JPM deserves the award
Old 20 Dec 2004, 19:57 (Ref:1184279)   #21
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
Kanaan would be a more worthy winner of this award than Rubens - he finished in the top 5 in all but the first race of the season, even though a lot of other strong drivers (Wheldon, Franchitti, Rice, Fernandez et al) had Honda engines as well. I know the IRL is seen as 'easier' than F1, but a season like Tony's deserves real credit.
Old 20 Dec 2004, 20:00 (Ref:1184286)   #22
Tweed
Veteran

Wales
North Wales
Tweed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
When is his BAR test?
Old 20 Dec 2004, 20:10 (Ref:1184301)   #23
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
Next month, the 10th I think - there's a thread on the subject in the IRL forum. I doubt it'd turn into a regular drive, unless he's sensational on what would represent his first laps in an F1 car, and virtually his first on a road course for 2 years, it's more a reward from Honda.
Old 20 Dec 2004, 20:21 (Ref:1184310)   #24
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Rubins had a number of very poor races and a few pretty good ones. For the most part he was consistantly well behind a MS who did the minimum to win. JPM deserves it. While Kannan had lots of success and definately deserves kudos for finishing every lap, the IRL is a different environment. IMO Castro Neves, CDM and Junquirea are better South American drivers.

Last edited by Snrub; 20 Dec 2004 at 20:23.
Old 20 Dec 2004, 23:38 (Ref:1184518)   #25
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snrub
Rubins had a number of very poor races and a few pretty good ones.
I would agree, however I would say the same for Monty as well.

I doubt either will look back on 2004 as a favorite.

Tags
jpm