Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 17 Feb 2005, 17:27 (Ref:1228457)   #1
TedN
Racer

Canada
Georgetown, ON, Canada
TedN should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTedN should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Gilles Villeneuve Film

According to this article in today's Journal de Montréal, JV will be Montreal next week to announce new film on Gilles.

Here is very rough translation (Bablefish):

Quote:
17/02/2005 - 07h44
Gilles Villeneuve will live again with the cinema
by Maxime Demers and Dany Bouchard
Journal de Montréal

Nearly 23 years after its death, the legend Gilles Villeneuve will live again with the large screen.

"It is a question of a film about the life of Gilles Villeneuve", yesterday confirmed with the Newspaper of Montreal the spokesman of the racing driver Jacques Villeneuve, Yann Lefort.

Jacques Villeneuve will be besides in Montreal next Wednesday to announce the details of the production, at the time of a press conference having to take place at his restaurant, Newtown, street Crescent, in the presence of many cultural and sporting journalists.

"what one said to us, it is that it will be a Hollywood production and that the producers apparently have at the head a large size of the realization and very known actors", specifies Yann Lefort.

"Jacques will announce the details of his implication in the project the next week", concluded the spokesman.

The cinematographic project will be apparently controlled by the house of Toronto-native production Capri Films.

It is besides the latter which yesterday launched the invitation to the journalists for the press conference.

The producers of Capri Films currently work on next film of Terry Gilliam (Brazil, Twelve Monkeys) and are at the origin of documentary on Metallica, Some Kind of Monster, left last year.

Yesterday, the house of production did not want to comment on the advertisement of next Wednesday.

An old project
The owner of the museum Gilles-Villeneuve, joint yesterday by the Newspaper of Montreal with Berthierville, was not surprised of such an advertisement.

"Its life is a true film scenario. The only problem, it is that that finishes badly ", begins Alain Belhumeur, recalling that a film on the legend of the motor race had failed to be born at the beginning of the Nineties.

"They was about ten after its death, remembers it. I have even newspaper cuttings announcing that the role of Gilles Villeneuve would be given to Michael J Fox ", tells it.

Until the year spent, the project of film was always in the air.

"the last with me to have spoken is Gaston Parent, his former manager. It is deceased last year."
Ted
Old 17 Feb 2005, 17:59 (Ref:1228490)   #2
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!
I wonder who would play Gilles? Any suggestions?
Old 17 Feb 2005, 18:41 (Ref:1228542)   #3
foreversideways
Veteran

England
Bramhall
foreversideways should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridforeversideways should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Glad to hear it.
Old 17 Feb 2005, 18:44 (Ref:1228547)   #4
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Hmm,

Not sure I see any point in this.

The guy was/is a legend (sadly not in his lifetime) but that's what makes this a bit iffy to me. He achieved nothing of note (I'm talking racing success here not brilliance) so what's the hook?

Do well and die? Not a good moral is it?

We'll wait and see but I feel this is a cynical attempt to profit from a great name who is no longer with us.

I could add that nobody made a film about Mike Hawthorn or Graham Hill or Jim Clark (all champions). Kind of puts this into perspective don't you think?

Last edited by Peter Mallett; 17 Feb 2005 at 18:46.
Old 17 Feb 2005, 21:00 (Ref:1228715)   #5
Rich R
Veteran

United Kingdom
dudley uk
Rich R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
the way i see it, the only good way to portray motorsport on the big screen is through an autobiographical piece. grand prix is widely recognised as the best racing film made, and if you took away the racing set pieces of that film you wouldn't be left with much. if there's going to be a film about gilles i hope it includes a fair account of didier pironi, and doesn't just portray him as the villain of the piece(not that he wasn't without fault).
Old 18 Feb 2005, 02:41 (Ref:1228945)   #6
Dixie Flatline
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
Dixie Flatline should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett
Hmm,
The guy was/is a legend (sadly not in his lifetime) but that's what makes this a bit iffy to me. He achieved nothing of note (I'm talking racing success here not brilliance) so what's the hook?
Didn't Gilles win more races than Jody Schekter did in 1979, when Schekter won the World Championship?
Old 18 Feb 2005, 05:10 (Ref:1228995)   #7
Raglanparade
Veteran

Australia
Raglanparade should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think Johnny Depp could play Gilles. The scruffy way he looked in Pirates of the Caribean with shorter hair.

Failing this, there is always Ayrton Senna look alike, Sylvester Stallone :P
Old 18 Feb 2005, 07:53 (Ref:1229062)   #8
djb
Veteran

djb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
shall try to remember to watch out for this next week. In any case, how the storyline is scripted, casted, etc etc etc will make the difference between something potentionally interesting about an interesting character, or more what I fear, a mediocre film using a famous name. Lets face it, a film can be about any sort of subject, but how it is told and visualized can make something special, or hack directors, producers can still throw loads of money at a project and it can be still very forgettable. (gee, makes me think of BAR's first years, all the hype, all the money.......)

ps, bloody insomnia . Fell dead asleep reading stories tothe kids, got woken up round 9:30 or 10, and here I am still awake at 3am, on 10/10ths, which I rarely have time to do anymore. Don't get me wrong, nice to read some of you again, but blimey, I'm going to feel crappy tomorrow doing retouching in front of a monitor. Nighty night.

Last edited by djb; 18 Feb 2005 at 07:58.
Old 18 Feb 2005, 08:24 (Ref:1229072)   #9
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dixie Flatline
Didn't Gilles win more races than Jody Schekter did in 1979, when Schekter won the World Championship?
Agreed but that was really my point. Is it going to be a sympathy piece?
Old 18 Feb 2005, 10:22 (Ref:1229163)   #10
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It could be made very good with the right cinematographer, scriptwriter and director... think vanashing point, speed tribe, the credits from Michel Vailliante, the new book Autodrome. Think an Icarus story...

what? ok so I've always wanted to be a low budget independent film maker
Old 18 Feb 2005, 15:42 (Ref:1229424)   #11
Anuauto
Racer

Anuauto has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss_collins
think the new book Autodrome
I'm still thinking....

The idea of "Brooklands the Movie" and the potential revival of "Mon Ami Mate" as a film (both recently discussed extensively on other fora) would be difficult enough but seem far better subjects?
I watched a lengthy documentary on Gilles on a flight to Toronto in 1999 the same weekend the Canadian GP was in Montreal. It was good - but when it restarted again, in French, I was the only one in the entire 747 that didnt groan - and the Canadians were groaning most. Not a good omen?

Also, as he lived in more recent times, would his reputation survive the portrayl of his domestic conduct that is reflected in the Donaldson biography?

Last edited by Anuauto; 18 Feb 2005 at 15:48.
Old 25 Feb 2005, 13:29 (Ref:1235658)   #12
TedN
Racer

Canada
Georgetown, ON, Canada
TedN should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTedN should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
More info here

Pics here

Ted
Old 25 Feb 2005, 23:46 (Ref:1236235)   #13
raul_iulian
Racer

Romania
Arad, Romania
raul_iulian has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
it's all about how G was
Old 26 Feb 2005, 00:02 (Ref:1236249)   #14
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As long as the film is:
a) not Hollywoodish
b) true to life
c) accurate and detailed

it should be fine.

It should neither be making Gilles and Jacques saints, nor sinners. Just true to what they are.

Last edited by Jordi; 26 Feb 2005 at 00:03.
Old 26 Feb 2005, 01:05 (Ref:1236293)   #15
marcel82
Veteran

European Union
Beersel, Belgium
marcel82 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordi
As long as the film is:
a) not Hollywoodish
b) true to life
c) accurate and detailed

it should be fine.

It should neither be making Gilles and Jacques saints, nor sinners. Just true to what they are.

yes, what we don't need is Driven 2
Old 26 Feb 2005, 11:05 (Ref:1236475)   #16
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Exactly. It must be more similar to Grand Prix than to Driven.
Old 26 Feb 2005, 11:15 (Ref:1236486)   #17
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Well, maybe not even similar to Grand Prix, I'd rather see a sort of documentary type of movie about their lives with a couple of Grand Prix elements for maybe Gilles relation to Mr Ferrari and the Pironi fued, the vast majority of us already know about their careers in F1 so just let the movie be about their lives and such...

Dumdiedum...
Old 26 Feb 2005, 17:46 (Ref:1236731)   #18
Bellof
Racer

South Africa
South Africa
Bellof should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
yeah, something like the muhammed ali docu (when we were kings) would be great...
Old 28 Feb 2005, 21:39 (Ref:1238411)   #19
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
you really should all see michel valliante - there are real lessons there as to how a motor racing film should be shot from a visual point of view - its incredible.