bmw has probablt offerd 270 for sauber
yes, racing-live.com is reporting the bbc story
http://f1.racing-live.com/en/index.h...10225459.shtml
Old 10 Jun 2005, 23:25 (Ref:1325158)   #3
VilleneuveTracy
Veteran

United States
New Jersey
VilleneuveTracy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridVilleneuveTracy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I hope this is true. BMW can provide the financial backing that Sauber needs to become a solid contender.
Old 11 Jun 2005, 00:06 (Ref:1325171)   #4
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Yet Autosport's website is carrying a denial of the story. Time will tell, I suppose.
Old 11 Jun 2005, 00:13 (Ref:1325174)   #5
Silk Cut Jaguar
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bath, UK
Silk Cut Jaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSilk Cut Jaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSchneiderFan
Yet Autosport's website is carrying a denial of the story. Time will tell, I suppose.
There will be denials right up until the ink is dry.
Old 11 Jun 2005, 00:15 (Ref:1325176)   #6
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
But which bit is BMW buying? The part the banks own that have no voting rights, or the little bit Mr Sauber owns that has all the voting rights??

Or both?

Is there any noise on the web as to whether Mr Thiessen is a continuing employee of BMW?? Its his genitalia on the line in the Williams vs Sauber boardroom discussions
Old 11 Jun 2005, 01:09 (Ref:1325192)   #7
DannyG
Racer

Australia
Tasmania, Australia :)
DannyG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I hope BMW do buy out Sauber and spend the rest of there F1 career being non acheivers. They should have stuck with Williams, fair enough they have struggled in recent years but history suggests they will rise to the top again.

Williams/Toyota combination to win in 2006

"There is no substitute for cubic inches"
Old 11 Jun 2005, 01:18 (Ref:1325196)   #8
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
This would probably explain the harsh words Williams and BMW have exchanged. You wouldn't say that kind of stuff unless it was all over.

On the upside this gives Williams a chance to run a Hyundai branded Cosworth for 2006. (actually that would be pretty cool)
Old 11 Jun 2005, 01:23 (Ref:1325199)   #9
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Williams Hyundai... Even the sound of it is terrible!
Old 11 Jun 2005, 01:28 (Ref:1325201)   #10
Dixie Flatline
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
Dixie Flatline should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
or Williams-Lexus?!
Old 11 Jun 2005, 02:33 (Ref:1325218)   #11
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Williams-Cosworth works don't you think? Williams-Lexus on the other hand does not, just my opinion
Old 11 Jun 2005, 02:56 (Ref:1325232)   #12
Logrence
Veteran

Wales
Logrence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm surprised at BMW wanting to run their own team this late in the game - it'll all end in tears.
Old 11 Jun 2005, 03:11 (Ref:1325248)   #13
senna12
Veteran

senna12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Perhaps Jenson can bundle himself up with Honda and present themselves to Sir Frank. If Honda covered Jens' salary as well, it would be a bonus. They could also buy BAR completely, then run a program similar to their arch rival Toyota . Unfortunately, they don't have 35 billion sitting in the bank to make it happen they way Im sure they would want it to.

As for BMW, what they would need at Sauber is engineers who better understand how to make use of their wind tunnel and that mega-computer that controls it. The fact that Sauber has the basic necessary infrastructure, and is noted for it's efficiency, should appeal to them. Much cheaper than starting from scratch, like BAR or Toyota.
Old 11 Jun 2005, 03:11 (Ref:1325249)   #14
Mike_P
Rookie

United States
Vermont, USA
Mike_P should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snrub
On the upside this gives Williams a chance to run a Hyundai branded Cosworth for 2006. (actually that would be pretty cool)
Does Hyundai even have enough money to put their name on the side of an F1 car? It might be a good opportunity for VW/Audi to get into F1, if they are interested.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyG
Williams/Toyota combination to win in 2006
I can't image Toyota selling engines to a team that will likely beat them when they are spending several hundred million dollars (or pounds or euros) each year trying to win races.
Old 11 Jun 2005, 07:40 (Ref:1325383)   #15
Hugh Jarce
Veteran

Hugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Doesn't look good for Williams - all the big engine boys seem to be moving to take their 'balls' / engines away and playing elsewhere.
Old 11 Jun 2005, 08:59 (Ref:1325447)   #16
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_P

I can't image Toyota selling engines to a team that will likely beat them when they are spending several hundred million dollars (or pounds or euros) each year trying to win races.
Agreed, which is why i can't see this happening either.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by senna12
Perhaps Jenson can bundle himself up with Honda and present themselves to Sir Frank. If Honda covered Jens' salary as well, it would be a bonus.
Old 11 Jun 2005, 09:45 (Ref:1325465)   #17
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Why couldnt Williams go to somebody like Komatsu (who were a sponsor/technical partner in the mid-90's) for sponsorship of the Cosworth engine

A Williams-Komatsu... sounds kinda tough really
Old 11 Jun 2005, 09:46 (Ref:1325467)   #18
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!
Surely Williams-Toyota would be the best from a performance point of view?
Old 11 Jun 2005, 09:54 (Ref:1325473)   #19
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Which is why Toyota won't let it happen. If Williams run identical engines there is no guarantee that Toyota would beat them, whcih would take a lot of the gloss off their recent progress. Cosworth might be the only otpions, and that has risks associated with it.

I think Sauber are ideal to be bought by a big team, ebcause they have all the right facilities in place, they just need a bit more money and manpower to get the most out of them, whcih BMW should have. The situation with Williams was never going to produce a winning car, and it seems like running the whole team yourself is the mroe successful long-term approach these days.
Old 11 Jun 2005, 10:09 (Ref:1325479)   #20
nkh
Racer

Denmark
Copenhagen
nkh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Williams-Ferrari? Ferrari has an engine for sale, but can Williams pay for it?
Old 11 Jun 2005, 10:40 (Ref:1325489)   #21
Dick Spanner
Racer

Dick Spanner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Let's hope the lack of a "factory" engine doesn't put them on the same road as Jordan.
Old 11 Jun 2005, 11:33 (Ref:1325516)   #22
Logrence
Veteran

Wales
Toyota are going to be supplying Midland next year...Toyota are already working with Dallara on the chassis.
Old 11 Jun 2005, 11:34 (Ref:1325517)   #23
N I Tram
Veteran

N I Tram should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good move from BMW here - Sauber have everythign they need, and Williams currently don't appear to. That partnership has reached the stage where a clean break is needed for both parties - in Williams' case full Cosworth backing might work out well.
Old 11 Jun 2005, 11:41 (Ref:1325523)   #24
Logrence
Veteran

Wales
Bit pricey, though, isn't it? Jordan went for less than £20m - what makes Sauber much different?
Old 11 Jun 2005, 11:46 (Ref:1325526)   #25
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by nkh
Williams-Ferrari? Ferrari has an engine for sale, but can Williams pay for it?
Ferrari are supplying RBR with engines next year,Toyota will probably supply Jordan as pointed out by Logrence.Minardi will run this seasons V10 in downtuned form leaving Cosworth with a V8 doing nothing but dyno runs.Honda or Toyota would not want Williams beating their mostly in-house teams.So unless Williams stick with BMW,Cosworth would seem to be favourite.