Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 13 Jun 2005, 14:36 (Ref:1327363)   #1
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!
Williams and Toyota - going backwards?

Has to be said, Williams and Toyota didn't look as strong as they have done in previous races this year.
It seems as though Ferrari has made ground, and Williams and Toyota have stood still.
Its plainly obvoius that Williams has a massive problem with traction and torque at low revs, and Toyota still has problems kerb hopping (of which there is quite a bit at Montreal).

Are they going to make a come back at Indy?
Toyota power will be a godsend down the main straight with full throttle for about 16 seconds...
Old 13 Jun 2005, 14:43 (Ref:1327371)   #2
Silk Cut Jaguar
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bath, UK
Silk Cut Jaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSilk Cut Jaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Out of both teams I think Toyota are best placed to bounce back, they always seem to be super quick at Indy and now they actually have a chassis to match the engine it should be a good points haul for them next weekend. I hope so anyway.
Old 13 Jun 2005, 15:08 (Ref:1327394)   #3
N I Tram
Veteran

N I Tram should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How fickle are you? Toyota nearly took third place, and were faster than anyone except McLaren and Renault all weekend. Canada's a power circuit, so Williams were always likely to struggle. Both teams are still well on track.
Old 13 Jun 2005, 15:21 (Ref:1327402)   #4
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!
Nearly took 3rd place after 2 Renault's, 1 McLaren and 1 BAR all fell out of podium positions, they would have never have been in 3rd place otherwise.

7th was on the cards for Trulli, then the field got decimated...then he retired.
Old 13 Jun 2005, 19:25 (Ref:1327591)   #5
Silk Cut Jaguar
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bath, UK
Silk Cut Jaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSilk Cut Jaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by N I Tram
How fickle are you? Toyota nearly took third place, and were faster than anyone except McLaren and Renault all weekend. Canada's a power circuit, so Williams were always likely to struggle. Both teams are still well on track.
Actually they were quite slow this weekend all things considered, Ralf was the fastest Toyota when he set a 1:15.827 on lap 44. Kimi's fastest lap of the race was 1:14.384. McLaren, Williams, Renault, BAR and Ferrari were all faster.

Granted, Trulli was on unlucky to miss out on another podium, but it was through attricition not outright speed.
Old 13 Jun 2005, 19:35 (Ref:1327597)   #6
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Williams' performance was very much a one off. You can't say they are sliding downhill after one bad race which has followed a little purple patch!

As for Toyota, they could well have ended up with a podium in each of the last three races with a bit of luck. They have dropped off the pace a little, but they are still there. Look for a good performance at Indy, a track Toyota has gone well at in the past....
Old 13 Jun 2005, 19:59 (Ref:1327628)   #7
Hugh Jarce
Veteran

Hugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well I think Toyota did well at the beginning of the season as they had released and tested their 2005 package before most.

I think they will stay in there and in terms of improvement this season, they still rank 1 with me.

What seems to be a shame for them is that the car is not an all rounder at the mo and suited to some tracks more then others. Champ winners need to be able to race at Imola as well as Melbourne.

Williams I believe are in a far more vulnerable position with the engine issue.

Out of the two, I'd rather be with Mike Gascoyne!
Old 14 Jun 2005, 01:08 (Ref:1327873)   #8
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Well Jarno was on pace during the race and would have had a podium at a circuit that traditionally should not have favoured their car - but for the brake failure.

As for Williams, their pace was pretty good throughout the race. They both struggled from their low qualifying positions - Mark because he was out first and made a mistake, and Nick because I don't know why (he was running quite light). Plus Webber had another terrible start - he got to the first corner behind a Minardi!

I think the amount of slow corners at Montreal (and the lowdown torque required to drive out of them onto the next straight) was always going to cause an issue for Williams. I've been quite pleased with their turnaround over the last few races and I think they and Toyota will score more podiums this season - providing BMW don't get the hump and wind down development of the V10.
Old 14 Jun 2005, 11:34 (Ref:1328192)   #9
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Its so odd, BMW used to be the king of low down torque and top end power...
Old 14 Jun 2005, 13:13 (Ref:1328300)   #10
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The key to a quick lap of Indy is actually in the low-speed section, which is vrey twisty indeed in places. I think they will be better, if not exactly at the front. Their next big update on the car is due for France.