Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 5 Mar 2001, 17:34 (Ref:68483)   #1
RussianFriend
Veteran

Russian Federation
Moscow, Russia
RussianFriend should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

I'm don't know much about mechanic questions. But I was really shocked by the speed shown during the week-end. Old records held on the wide car with ungrooved tyres. How can they broken them? Could somebody explain this to stupid Russian girl? ABS should be inculcated only in Spain....
Old 5 Mar 2001, 18:10 (Ref:68502)   #2
robert2000
Racer

England
Cambridge, UK
robert2000 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The reason they can beat the old cars is due to the large amount of mechanical grip the cars now produce. Coupled with engine developments that have taken them past 800bhp this means that the cars are faster than ever.

The new regs didn't slow the cars down as expected. The tyre war meant that the tyre compounds got softer and softer until they more than outweighed the loss of downforce because of the new wing positions.

I hope that answers your questions.
Old 5 Mar 2001, 18:41 (Ref:68520)   #3
Sparky
Veteran

Sparky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree that the softer compound tyres allow more grip, but the reduction in overall downforce (increased 50mm clearance under the front wing and reduced number of elements in rear wing) means less drag on the straights and therefore higher speeds are attainable.
Old 5 Mar 2001, 19:32 (Ref:68532)   #4
Hans.ca
Racer

Hans.ca should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You want to slow them down?

Very simple, eliminate the grooves, limit the back tire to 8 inches wide and the front to 6 inches. That will slow them down.
Old 5 Mar 2001, 23:51 (Ref:68681)   #5
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not for long.

Take out the engines and make them pedal. That will slow them down for sure.

Or make them ride bicycles.

Why do we want to slow them down? Isn't this racing?
Old 6 Mar 2001, 02:35 (Ref:68716)   #6
Sonatrap
Racer

Sonatrap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Unbelievable!

It´s all about speed ...it´s racing .Why anyone who is fan enough to visit a bulletin board on an F1 web site calls for slower cars is well beyond me.What´s happening? Do I need enlightenment or do people need to meditate on what ´Racing´ means. It is after all the key word in this sport.

Bring back the days of 1000 B.H.P!
Old 6 Mar 2001, 02:54 (Ref:68724)   #7
GURRYP
Racer

GURRYP should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In answer to the original question, the answer is basically tyres. With 2 tyre suppliers you will always get competition as opposed to a sole supplier who is guaranteed a winner every race. Now the 2 suppliers are pushing one & other to achieve the best results, unless Max & Bernie lean on them things will only get faster.
Old 6 Mar 2001, 11:16 (Ref:68825)   #8
Airhead
Veteran

Airhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAirhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
RussianFriend asked why the cars had got so much faster in one year (Melbourne 2000 to Melbourne 2001). Not that they are too fast. The only person who wants to slow them down is Max M.
Old 6 Mar 2001, 11:31 (Ref:68829)   #9
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
Unfortunately there is always the political motive to slow cars down. After the 1955 Le Mans disaster,followed by the crash that killed de Portago, there was a hue and cry throughout much of Europe to ban motor racing altogether. Later on, more crashes and deaths lead to the same cry by those who were not interested in F1. By the early sixties, F1 engines were reduced to 1500 cc's from 2500, and the Coventry Climax engine put out a whopping 154 BHP. It is a sad fact of life that countries are governed by politicians and not motor racing enthusiasts, and the last thing we want to see in any country is the banning of motor sport just because the cars are too fast.
I personally cannot see the difference between the grooved tyre and non grooved tyre performances on TV. So, I will not entre into th controversy of grooved tyres - I see nothing wrong with them except that they cost a helluva lot mor to produce.