Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 5 May 2006, 22:03 (Ref:1601496)   #1
Goosey
Rookie

Goosey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Newbie just sent form off to a Sue Whitlock

Well what can i say other than Hello!!!

Just filled in my forms, paid my subscription, and now its just sitting there waiting in the postbox.
Hopefully ill get on an event asap, what sorta events can i expect to get on as a newbie.

BTCC to far outta reach at the moment? Thinking about Croft as i live in Boroughbridge, around 20 miles from York.

Anyway my penny's just about to run out in the meter so i better run.

Ciao!
Old 5 May 2006, 22:06 (Ref:1601497)   #2
jonbryant
Veteran

England
Horsham, West Sussex
jonbryant should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjonbryant should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well welcome to the party. You'll find plenty of helpful people in here and within the marshalling community as a whole.

Enjoy it!
Old 6 May 2006, 00:18 (Ref:1601518)   #3
Peter Harding
Veteran

England
Colchester
Peter Harding should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Cadwell shouldn't be out of the question and don't rule out BTCC. Most clubs will welcome you.

Go to Julian Floyds web site to volunteer for any meeting anywhere. Details near the top of the marshals threads.
Old 6 May 2006, 06:34 (Ref:1601581)   #4
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Welcome to ten-tenths and also welcome to marshalling. The trick to get on the list for BTCC etc is to volunteer early so drop Sara an e-mail at BARC swernham@barc.net and ask for the availability forms.

Stephen Green
National P.R.O.
British Motorsport Marshals Club.
Old 6 May 2006, 07:53 (Ref:1601599)   #5
andymfell
Rookie

United Kingdom
cumbria
andymfell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
you only live about 20 miles from harewood hillclimb
why not try there

see PM for contact info

the BMMC regional chair & BMMC regional membership secretary are chief & deputy chief of harewood
the next event at harewood is 13/14 may (national B / national A)

there is also in yorkshire a good following of marshals for Rallying events
and the Auto66 club who do motorbike events

regards andrew
Old 6 May 2006, 22:08 (Ref:1602032)   #6
Goosey
Rookie

Goosey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Right ok, thanks for the welcome guys!

Erm, so, can i apply to marshall even tho i only sent my application form off yesterday. This means i wont have any kind of identifcation and proof that i am a marshal! Surely?! Am not too fussed to wait but would like to get started asap.

Ive gotta work race weekends round my own work, as i work full time in a hotel, obviously not the easiest job to get weekends off!!
So any suggestios etc would be welcome!

Cheers

Mark aka Goosey
Old 7 May 2006, 07:42 (Ref:1602149)   #7
ian_c_uk
Racer

United Kingdom
J5 M61
ian_c_uk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You don't even need to be a member of the bmmc to marshal.. although I am sure it helps.

I have done 3 meetings this year and not yet a member, and down for a fourth next weekend. They are a friendly bunch, if you have the confidence to say "hi I'm new" then they are always willing to pass on knowledge and help you get settled in.

(fear not bmmc members, I have sent off my forms to Sue, just awaiting reply )

Ian
Old 7 May 2006, 07:45 (Ref:1602151)   #8
Asp
Race Official
Veteran

England
Cumbria, UK
Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goosey
Erm, so, can i apply to marshall even tho i only sent my application form off yesterday. This means i wont have any kind of identifcation and proof that i am a marshal! Surely?! Am not too fussed to wait but would like to get started asap.
You must definitely can - no proof is needed to marshal. Technically you don't need to be a member of any club either, although by joining the BMMC it will make many things easier.

As has been mentioned, use Julian's website to find events you like and it's by far the simplest way to volunteer through there. You can find on there forms for Harewood Hill , the BTCC (found on the BARC form), and for Croft meetings (DDMC).
The only events that you won't be able to do as a trainee are those that have a selection procedure - the Grand Prix and Goodwood are the only main ones. BTCC is rarely so oversupplied with marshals that they'll turn down any volunteers.

Once your BMMC membership is confirmed , you'll want to get the additional insurance the BMMC provides (the MSA provides it's own very good insurance anyway that you get when you sign-on), details of how to do this should be in your welcome pack - but if there's any questions you can always post here again!

Once you've picked a meeting or two and have volunteered, then you'll get tickets and instructions just before the event. Let us know when you get them, and if you've any extra questions (such as where to sign-on) someone will answer them, and look forward to meeting you trackside!
Old 7 May 2006, 09:22 (Ref:1602208)   #9
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goosey
Erm, so, can i apply to marshall even tho i only sent my application form off yesterday. This means i wont have any kind of identifcation and proof that i am a marshal!
At most circuits you need a ticket to get in, so there's no need for any form of identification.

The people doing sign on will ask you what experience you have & ensure that you are put with experienced marshals. When you go on post the IO (incident officer) - or observer if there's no IO - will ask the same question & ensure that you are paired with someone who can look after you & help you get into the way of doing things.

You should, with your BMMC membership stuff, receive a 'Pocket Guide to Marshalling' - if you don't, or if you can't wait, it's downloadable from the BMMC's website. Read it - it will give you a lot of the basics you need.

Your first few times trackside can be a very daunting experience, particularly as you won't have done a training day. Don't be afraid to ask questions - don't worry if you think your question is silly or that the answer should be obvious, we were all in your position when we started. Your first priority must be your own safety - if you're not happy doing something, don't do it; nobody will criticise you for that.

Above all, remember why we all do it......for FUN
Old 7 May 2006, 15:32 (Ref:1602461)   #10
Lord Summerisle
Veteran

England
Lancs
Lord Summerisle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Much good info provioded ahead, and jsut to illustrate,

i only started in the last couple of month - simply by emailing one of the guys at harewood, and him sending me a volenteer form to provide some details - and put down any dates i knew i could marshal at... that way they can send out the tickets and info in plenty of time... tho if its not possible i'm sure you can let them know nearer the time.

Good bunch of guys at Harewood, they've looked after me well.

Same with Oulton & Aintree...