Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > My Track Designs

Old 14 Mar 2007, 23:15 (Ref:1866844)   #1
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Silverstone Revision.

On tap, is the site of the 2010 British Grand Prix! (We can always dream, cant we? Lol.)

Didn't actually change all that much. The "infield" section is actually part of the Stowe circuit, just extensions to rejoin it to Hangar straight. The most extensive of the modifications is to the final complex. Gone is the Bridge/Priory/Brooklands/Luffield set of corners, replaced with a better opportunity to place, but still remaining, somewhat, the shape of the previous complex. In total, there are 7 overtaking spots under braking! However, the fastest of the circuit combinations, is the External circuit, to be used by BTCC and other touring cars, it has none of the infield, or final corner complex to deal with, so you will see some fantastic slipstreaming duels! South, National, and Stowe circuits are still there, albeit under different configurations.

Thanks for your time, please give me any comments, criticism, or questions you may have!

Thanks,
Matt.

Last edited by Matt; 14 Mar 2007 at 23:20.
Old 15 Mar 2007, 00:59 (Ref:1866904)   #2
shambles
Veteran

England
Soton, UK
shambles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridshambles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have seen much poorer Silverstone edits, but personally I'm still not a huge fan of this one, sorry mate.

Although I will say that what you have done between Club and Woodcote, looks very interesting; but maybe you could create a Bridge style corner (the one you have currently looks a bit angular) leading into the new section. I love the fact you've somewhat re-instated Woodcote, I think the whole Luffield section we have at current is awful.

As a corner in it's own right, I love the 'Gun Handle' effect you've gone with at Stowe, but I don't think it fits either Silverstone, or the combinations you've put it between.
Old 15 Mar 2007, 10:57 (Ref:1867162)   #3
Lustigson
Veteran

Netherlands
Huizen
Lustigson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
We've done Silverstone countless of times. To quote myself:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lustigson
I've done two versions of Silverstone myself through my years on My Tracks. Here they are. I especially like the second one, which, IMHO, is the most realistic and future-oriented. Tell me what you think.

Old 22 Jan 2008, 00:53 (Ref:2110951)   #4
shambles
Veteran

England
Soton, UK
shambles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridshambles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'd like to see a Silverstone revision from bio.
Old 22 Jan 2008, 15:24 (Ref:2111278)   #5
bio
Veteran

Hungary
Budapest, Hungary, Europe
bio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Really?

bio
Old 22 Jan 2008, 15:47 (Ref:2111294)   #6
shambles
Veteran

England
Soton, UK
Yes, I want to see how you'd alter an existing circuit.
Old 22 Jan 2008, 16:09 (Ref:2111316)   #7
bio
Veteran

Hungary
Well, the basic problem is that I've got no problem with Silverstone. But I can give it a try.

bio
Old 22 Jan 2008, 16:43 (Ref:2111331)   #8
shambles
Veteran

England
Soton, UK
Sometimes though, circuit owners will request revisions, would it make it easier for you if I took on this role?
Old 22 Jan 2008, 18:57 (Ref:2111409)   #9
bio
Veteran

Hungary

bio
Old 22 Jan 2008, 19:24 (Ref:2111423)   #10
shambles
Veteran

England
Soton, UK
SILVERSTONE LOOKS SET FOR MAKEOVER

The Chairman of the British Racing Drivers Club (BRDC) Damon Hill has announced today that the Silverstone circuit near Northampton under BRDC control is to under-go a major revamp after the British Government announced that it would pump an extra £500 million into the facility.

The circuit, which has been under threat of losing it's status as the venue of the British Grand Prix in recent years, will be renovated from the ground up by a Hungarian designer known only as bio.

The planned works, set to be announced later this week, should take around two years to complete. During this time, the Donington Park circuit in Leicestershire will act as an interim venue for the Grand Prix after it's recent upheaval by the same designer (maybe another challenge?).

Design Brief
[*] Design a new pit and paddock complex, in your chosen location. What facilities will it have? how many cars will it hold? All these questions need answering
[*] Renovate the portion of circuit from Bridge through to Woodcote, the BRDC are keen to see a return to the circuit's natural instinct of sheer speed.
[*] Create a new National circuit.
[*] Improve spectator facilities.
Old 22 Jan 2008, 20:24 (Ref:2111474)   #11
Lustigson
Veteran

Netherlands
Huizen
Quote:
Originally Posted by shambles
SILVERSTONE LOOKS SET FOR MAKEOVER

The Chairman of the British Racing Drivers Club (BRDC) Damon Hill has announced today that the Silverstone circuit near Northampton under BRDC control is to under-go a major revamp after the British Government announced that it would pump an extra £500 million into the facility.

The circuit, which has been under threat of losing it's status as the venue of the British Grand Prix in recent years, will be renovated from the ground up by a Hungarian designer known only as bio.

The planned works, set to be announced later this week, should take around two years to complete. During this time, the Donington Park circuit in Leicestershire will act as an interim venue for the Grand Prix after it's recent upheaval by the same designer (maybe another challenge?).

Design Brief
[*] Design a new pit and paddock complex, in your chosen location. What facilities will it have? how many cars will it hold? All these questions need answering
[*] Renovate the portion of circuit from Bridge through to Woodcote, the BRDC are keen to see a return to the circuit's natural instinct of sheer speed.
[*] Create a new National circuit.
[*] Improve spectator facilities.
Finished.

Old 22 Jan 2008, 21:29 (Ref:2111523)   #12
Yannick
Veteran

Yannick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Brooklands-Luffield isn't all that bad - and there have been historical overtaking moves taking place in that section, though not successful ones, like in the GP that Johnny Herbert won on this circuit.
But I can understand that the owners want to get back to being a highspeed circuit.
Still, please don't mess with Hangar Straight.
I'd like to see runoff increased at Stowe, the Maggots-Becketts complex and, above all, Copse, because Copse is just too fast for so little space.
The new pit area seems inevitable at the time.
But, imho, what makes the British GP really special is its crowd.
Old 22 Jan 2008, 22:05 (Ref:2111560)   #13
shambles
Veteran

England
Soton, UK
I have to stress, this isn't a real thing, just incase anybody gets confused.
Old 22 Jan 2008, 22:29 (Ref:2111584)   #14
bio
Veteran

Hungary
Well... Knowing that my two strong weaknesses are the paddocks area and the stands you're more than kind still to leave them to me

bio
Old 22 Jan 2008, 23:59 (Ref:2111650)   #15
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
This is a version I posted previously, with a very slight modification at Vale.

Rather than renovate Bridge to Woodcote, Bridge is removed completely but replaced with a bridge-like corner off the club straight (very controversial the first time I posted this) removing Priory and Brooklands into a new Luffield Hairpin

The club circuit hasn't changed that much, the new Bridge-like corner leads into the Luffield hairpin is the only change.
However the International circuit is now seperated using the GP Loop, as it's basis with a new pit complex from Club corner to a much revised Abbey Chicane

Spectator facilities improved with a large exhibition/display area where Bridge and Priory currently are.

I'm not sure this quite fits Shambles criteria, but I liked it enough to keep on the hard disk
Attached Thumbnails
Silverstone mod3 .jpg   Silverstone Mod 4.jpg  
Old 23 Jan 2008, 07:53 (Ref:2111767)   #16
Lustigson
Veteran

Netherlands
Huizen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yannick
But I can understand that the owners want to get back to being a highspeed circuit.
Me too. In that case they'd just have to cut out the Abbey chicane and the complex.
Old 23 Jan 2008, 14:42 (Ref:2112018)   #17
werner
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam, the Netherlands
werner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridwerner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What about this. Very fast, but still lots to see for spectators. There is also room for a bigger paddock, due to the replacement of the national circuit.
Attached Thumbnails
Silverstone revised.bmp  
Old 23 Jan 2008, 15:49 (Ref:2112054)   #18
shambles
Veteran

England
Soton, UK
Not bad at all.
Old 23 Jan 2008, 15:50 (Ref:2112055)   #19
bio
Veteran

Hungary
That looks pretty impressive, werner.

I'm not sure - what exactly the green and yellow lines represent? And those light grey ones above the Chapel?

bio
Old 24 Jan 2008, 10:08 (Ref:2112510)   #20
werner
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam, the Netherlands
werner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridwerner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The yellow and green lines are grandstands. Green one can only be used on the GP-loop, since the national loop does not pass them. The grey lines are a sort of rallycross-circuit witch lies there.
Old 26 Jan 2008, 21:05 (Ref:2114308)   #21
bio
Veteran

Hungary
OK, here's what you were asking for, shambles.

The number 1 priority was speed. I also wished to avoid ending up with a track totally redesigned, or one with endless straights linked by fast sweepers.
What I got finally was a severe plastic surgery - one similar to what Herr Tilke did to Hockenheim.

I found that I cannot speed the track up considerably and keep the upper sector of the track at the same time s the complete mid-section, from the Chapel down to the Vale had to go. Also the Maggots-Becketts-Chapel combo was considerably reshaped allowing the cars faster trespass speed and a faster entry to the next section. The next section, which runs from the Chapel to the Club more or less directly, basically the combination of two long and rather fast sweepers. The Club remained the same and the next short straight almost up to the Abbey is almost intact, only instead of the Abbey the trackline pulls up to ons of the existing alternate lines and follows it up to the intersection of the aircraft strips' intersection. Here the trackline joins another existing alternate lines via a mid-speed sweeper. This alternate line leads the trackline back to the original trackline and joins it at the Brooklands.

Summary: Between the Brooklands and the Maggots the trackline is basically intact, then there's the all new section between the Maggott and the Club, then the Club and the following staright is intact, followed by another new section up to the Brooklands. Though the main goal was to speed the track up, no additional straights appeared, on the cpontrary: the longest straight (the Hangar) has been removed. Still, I think the new track allows greater average speed as the corners and curves have mostly been redesigned for greater speed.

The new track is a little bit longer (5.767 km / 3.604 miles) than the original layout (5.141 km / 3.213 miles) but the growth is small.

Also, new spectator stands have been added.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Silverstone_1.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	1.15 MB
ID:	18900 Click image for larger version

Name:	Silverstone_2.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	487.9 KB
ID:	18901

Name:	Silverstone_3.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	400.7 KB
ID:	18902 Click image for larger version

Name:	Silverstone_4.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	218.3 KB
ID:	18903

Name:	Silverstone_5.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	209.8 KB
ID:	18904
Old 26 Jan 2008, 21:54 (Ref:2114328)   #22
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
A bit controversial reprofilingMaggots-Becketts and removing the Hanger Straight, but retaining them is rather restrictive on what else is available I suppose.
I notice that you have opted for a similar layout from abbey onto the current International circuit (though going in the wrong direction) before arcing around onto the National straight, much in the same way as I did.
Old 26 Jan 2008, 22:29 (Ref:2114344)   #23
bio
Veteran

Hungary
Yes, they definitely look similar. The patent is definitely yours

As for the Maggot-Becketts-Hangar: yes, it's definitely more than just a slight facelift - but that was my aim. I wanted a faster circuit and that section was in the way I know it's nothing short of blasphemy - but I think what Tilke did to Hockenheim was no less so, so, I thought, let's take nothing for granted

bio
Old 27 Jan 2008, 14:12 (Ref:2114712)   #24
Lustigson
Veteran

Netherlands
Huizen
I'm not sure I like your proposal, bio, but you sure did think outside the box. Very good.
Old 27 Jan 2008, 19:58 (Ref:2114938)   #25
bio
Veteran

Hungary
You don't think it does the job or you just don't like the way it looks?

bio