Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > My Track Designs

Old 21 May 2007, 11:50 (Ref:1917897)   #1
mandretti39
Veteran

Lithuania
Clay, NY USA
mandretti39 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmandretti39 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
London

As some of you may know, Champ Car is returning to Europe this year. One place they will not be going to is Great Britain. Hopefully, next year they will return. Most of you are thinking that they will race on one of Great Britain's already-built tracks, but seeing as Champ Car seems to like street circuits so much, I have designed one for them. It is located in London, south of Greenwich Park. The track is 2.28 miles long and runs counterclockwise. The main straight is along Shooters Hill Road. When the road reaches the intersection of Charlton Way, it widens, thus allowing a Surfers Paradise-esque style chicane to help slow the cars down. The corner already there could possibly be taken flat out, making the run to the next corner pretty dangerous. After the chicane, there is a short run to a tight turn onto Wat Tyler Road. When the track reaches the intersection at Dartmouth Hill/Hare and Billet Road, there is a roundabout, which will be removed. The track then heads through an s-bend that leads them onto Lewisham Hill. Shortly following this, there is a hairpin turn onto Eliot Hill. After a bit of a run, there is a chicane which leads onto Hare and Billet Road. After another short run, there is another chicane, this one takes you from Hare and Billet Road to Tranquil Vale. The next corner is a tight left-hander onto Royal Parade. Ther is yet another chicane that takes you from Royal Parade, breifly onto Montpelier Row, then onto Prince Charles Road. The track then makes a long run towards the roundabout, which is driven around counterclockwise back onto the main straight.

Hope you like it!!!

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=972709
Old 21 May 2007, 15:33 (Ref:1918102)   #2
Lustigson
Veteran

Netherlands
Huizen
Lustigson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Dude, should Champ Car indeed return to the UK, they should use the track they designed for the London Grand Prix, last year. Part of which F1 cars drove on, too.
Old 21 May 2007, 18:34 (Ref:1918258)   #3
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Being realistic, an airport type circuit at RAF Northolt would be do-able, and it's still inside the M25. Though an RAF base, most of it's usage these days is as an executive airport, for private or corporate Jets.

Here's a 2 minute doodle on Google Earth, it's 2.75 miles or 4.4km.
Attached Thumbnails
Northolt.jpg  
Old 23 May 2007, 13:56 (Ref:1919569)   #4
mandretti39
Veteran

Lithuania
Clay, NY USA
mandretti39 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmandretti39 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Any one got anything to say about MY TRACK? I don't mind you posting your ideas, but could we at least acknowledge my post?
Old 23 May 2007, 14:10 (Ref:1919583)   #5
Lustigson
Veteran

Netherlands
Huizen
Sure. You'r track is pretty good, actually. Nice length, and I think a beautiful area. Great Surfers' Paradise-like esses, too.

If I'm not mistaking, this is the track that they proposed for the downtown London Grand Prix. I'm surprised at it's lenght, though: it's a bit long at 6.2 km (3.8 mi).

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=980314
Old 23 May 2007, 14:38 (Ref:1919592)   #6
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Mandretti, your circuit looks pretty good, though I'm not sure about the wibble-wobble chicane on the start straight. The road appears wide enough to allow the sweeping curve, especially when there is a left flick (chicane) into the 90 degree right at the intersection of the park roads directly to the South across the park.

Perhaps run the final corner to the inside of the Roundabout making it a tighter corner, and last chance overtaking point.
Old 23 May 2007, 15:37 (Ref:1919626)   #7
Lustigson
Veteran

Netherlands
Huizen
I've taken an(other) good look at your track. I added some Melbourne-esque semi-permanent circuit features to it. The track is now 4.2 km (2.6 mi) long -- a bit more F1 length, I think.

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=980706
Old 24 May 2007, 11:55 (Ref:1920234)   #8
jonm2
Rookie

United Kingdom
jonm2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
ive created 2 tracks using the original area chosen

heres my slightly crazy one lol

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=983446

and heres my more realistic version

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=983459

feedback =]
Old 24 May 2007, 13:19 (Ref:1920284)   #9
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
Jonm2, the point with this type of circuit is to use the existing road layout to form the circuit. Both of your suggestions involved going over areas that are not existing roads.
Old 24 May 2007, 19:57 (Ref:1920565)   #10
jonm2
Rookie

United Kingdom
jonm2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i was thinking that some semi permanent sections could be built =/

a good 60/70 percent of my 'realistic' track uses existing road anyway
Old 25 May 2007, 01:45 (Ref:1920714)   #11
Alwaysfirst
Veteran

United Kingdom
The rural idyl.
Alwaysfirst should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well there's technically nothing wrong building new roads. Then gmap is used more to show where they would go rather than the actual roads.

RIP Marco Simoncelli, 1987-2011. 2008 250cc champion
Old 25 May 2007, 07:14 (Ref:1920797)   #12
Lustigson
Veteran

Netherlands
Huizen
Remember: Albert Park wasn't built just on existing roads. Same goes for the new Singapore and Valencia tracks.