Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 15 Jul 2007, 19:51 (Ref:1963810)   #1
JamesRamone
Veteran

England
Just outside Leeds, West Yorkshire
JamesRamone should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Does anybody have any photos of Marcel either driving or just generally? I can't find any on google, and am just intruiged to see the car he drove.

Down F0rce: "More than a few, but the strangest one was when Jos Verstappen and Enrique Bernoldi scored a one-two for Arrows and were apparantly so impressed by each other's driving, they sang "Wind Beneath My Wings" to each other in the press conference."

Brilliant
Old 15 Jul 2007, 20:17 (Ref:1963832)   #2
JamesRamone
Veteran

England
Just outside Leeds, West Yorkshire
JamesRamone should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I tried to edit my above post, but im thick and can't see how i do that.

anyway i forgot to ask, where was Marcel in the championship before he sadly died? Had he been doing well, i read somewhere he was a championship favourite before the season started. (not sure how far we were into the season before the accident)

thanks

Down F0rce: "More than a few, but the strangest one was when Jos Verstappen and Enrique Bernoldi scored a one-two for Arrows and were apparantly so impressed by each other's driving, they sang "Wind Beneath My Wings" to each other in the press conference."

Brilliant
Old 15 Jul 2007, 21:00 (Ref:1963878)   #3
wheadon
Racer

England
Carlisle/Newcastle
wheadon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There is a picture from a newpaper cutting of Marcel's crash. It's of his car in mid air.

(Link removed - JT)

Last edited by John Turner; 16 Jul 2007 at 07:48.
Old 16 Jul 2007, 07:48 (Ref:1964140)   #4
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The above 3 posts have been removed from the Tributes forum as inappropriate for that thread. However the request is entirely reasonable so I have set up this thread. In fact, if we can develop it sufficiently, with anecdote and/or history, it could become a suitable candidatefor the Driver Files forum.

I'm sorry wheadon but I have removed the link to the picture as 10-Tenths have a policy of not showing pictures which result in fatalities, although I accept entirely that on this occasion it was intended as a helpful response to James enquiry.
Old 16 Jul 2007, 08:27 (Ref:1964176)   #5
nycuk
Veteran

England
Banbury, Oxfordshire, England
nycuk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesRamone
Does anybody have any photos of Marcel either driving or just generally? I can't find any on google, and am just intruiged to see the car he drove.
Check out this Flickr photostream for some pictures of Marcel in 1991.

http://www.flickr.com/search/?w=all&...+albers&m=text

Marcel was indeed a front runner in British F3 in 1992, a championship favourite for sure. My last memory of seeing him race was at Silverstone in maybe March or April. He was on pole but had a problem getting away and dropped to last place. There then followed a storming driver as Marcel set fastest lap after fastest lap, really exciting. The race in which Marcel died (at Thruxton) was on Easter monday, I think? Certainly it was fairly early in the season.

I've posted this elsewhere on the forum, but I lived in Brackley, Northamptonshire at the time and Marcel lived three doors down from me! This was from early '92 until his death. He had a black Peugeot GTi 1.9 with large Marlboro and Akai graphics in the back window. There was sometimes a Honda NSX parked there too. I always thought I should knock and say 'hi' but I never got round to doing it - I didn't want to be intrusive I guess.

Anyway check out the pictures. Hope this is all of interest.

Last edited by nycuk; 16 Jul 2007 at 08:30.
Old 16 Jul 2007, 20:45 (Ref:1965113)   #6
wheadon
Racer

England
Carlisle/Newcastle
wheadon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i apollogise, i didn't know of this rule. sorry
Old 20 Jul 2007, 00:33 (Ref:1967926)   #7
Bannes User
Rookie

Bannes User should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Found this link on Marcel including a portrait photo: