Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > IRL Indycar Series

Old 8 Sep 2007, 11:02 (Ref:2006718)   #1
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
Dario to NASCAR

Fox Sports is reporting that Dario Franchitti will be driving the #40 car for Ganassi next year. David Stremme is confirming he is out as driver, but there is no official confirmation yet...

I will try the link thing...

...which does not seem to have worked...
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 8 Sep 2007, 11:12 (Ref:2006723)   #2
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
http://msn.foxsports.com/nascar/story/7202934

Dario & Ganassi!. Dario & Montoya.
Old 8 Sep 2007, 11:15 (Ref:2006724)   #3
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
Thank you Adam!

Looks like Scott and Dario are going to have the same boss and that all of our speculation about Dario going to ALMS was a teensy bit misguided...
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 8 Sep 2007, 11:24 (Ref:2006732)   #4
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Here is the thread in the NASCAR forum: http://tentenths.com/forum/showthread.php?t=99951

From an IRL perspective, it will be a shame when Dario leaves.
Old 8 Sep 2007, 11:31 (Ref:2006735)   #5
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
It sure will Adam. American open wheel racing used to be the feeder series to F1. No offense to NASCAR (as I do believe the drivers to be skilled and the racing intense), but open wheel has sent more drivers to NASCAR than F1...
Old 8 Sep 2007, 11:41 (Ref:2006742)   #6
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
American open-wheel racing used to be the biggest thing in the US, being a feeder to F1 was something of a comedown from that. Being a feeder to NASCAR is worse.
Old 8 Sep 2007, 12:12 (Ref:2006760)   #7
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
Yeah. Open Wheel here used to be a Destination. Now it is a transit point.
Old 8 Sep 2007, 12:18 (Ref:2006765)   #8
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
NASCAR forum gets all the scoops first.

I'm well stoked about this. Yes, it is terribly sad that Dario is looking like leaving OWR. But a favourite driver of mine is teaming up with my absolute favourite.

All rise for the class of '99.
Old 8 Sep 2007, 13:01 (Ref:2006795)   #9
NAC
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
NAC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridNAC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Welcome to Knowlesy heven.

I take it he will spend a season in Bush before moving to Nextel?
Old 8 Sep 2007, 13:06 (Ref:2006799)   #10
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The rumour is that he'll do what Montoya did last season. He'll do some ARCA and some Busch Series and then Cup and Busch next year.
Old 8 Sep 2007, 15:06 (Ref:2006889)   #11
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Great news!
Old 8 Sep 2007, 17:12 (Ref:2006958)   #12
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
enemy-ace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Geez! Next thing you'll know he'll divorce Ms. Judd and marry Britney Spears.
A torrential afternoon practice session in Watkins Glen saw Villeneuve out-qualify everyone. By 11 seconds.Scheckter stated: "I scared myself rigid that day, I thought I had to be quickest. Then I saw Gilles's time and - I still don't really understand how it was possible. Eleven seconds !"
Old 8 Sep 2007, 20:49 (Ref:2007070)   #13
courageous
Veteran

United Kingdom
Chatham, Kent
courageous should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcourageous should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Just been chatting with a guy from the states & Dario has confirmed it himself on tv.
Old 9 Sep 2007, 03:11 (Ref:2007260)   #14
rush1
Veteran

rush1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Another blow to the Indy car series. Dario and probably Hornish to the taxis. Interesting that veterans of US open wheel racing like Ganassi and Penske are doing the plucking.

The split has only helped a entity which now employs overtime and playoffs into their racing series. But we still have two competing open wheel series here in N. America. Will it ever end?
Old 9 Sep 2007, 03:32 (Ref:2007263)   #15
NAC
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
NAC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridNAC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
With so many IRL drivers rumored off to NASCAR I wonder if that will provide an opening for the likes of Alex Lloyd or Wade Cunningham
Old 9 Sep 2007, 08:34 (Ref:2007342)   #16
OpenWheel4ever
Racer

European Union
OpenWheel4ever should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I am a pro IndyCar and I do not like nascar at all so for me if he goes to nascar i will be pretty disappointed by his decision...only if he wins the championship today...we have champion, we need to keep them!!
Old 9 Sep 2007, 10:46 (Ref:2007411)   #17
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
To paraphrase Ross Perot: "That sucking sound you here is all the open wheel talent going to NASCAR."

This should be (but likely won't be) a wakeup call to the open wheel powers-that-be. If there were one series that was at least semi-healthy, they would be able to keep their talent as there would be worthwhile drives available that drivers don't have to pay for or worrying about being expected to possibly pay for them at some point.

However you feel about NASCAR, watching the top talent leave is like watching an estate sale where you watch strangers carting of the possessions of a favorite aunt or something.
Old 9 Sep 2007, 10:53 (Ref:2007418)   #18
nycuk
Veteran

England
Banbury, Oxfordshire, England
nycuk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSSC
To paraphrase Ross Perot: "That sucking sound you here is all the open wheel talent going to NASCAR."

This should be (but likely won't be) a wakeup call to the open wheel powers-that-be. If there were one series that was at least semi-healthy, they would be able to keep their talent as there would be worthwhile drives available that drivers don't have to pay for or worrying about being expected to possibly pay for them at some point.

However you feel about NASCAR, watching the top talent leave is like watching an estate sale where you watch strangers carting of the possessions of a favorite aunt or something.
Couldn't agree more. I make no apology for the fact that I am a die-hard single seater fan thru & thru. Allmendinger, Dario, Hornish, even (especially?) JPM all have / had so much more to offer open wheeled racing. I'm disappointed to see Dario go.
Old 9 Sep 2007, 17:34 (Ref:2007784)   #19
Minicross424
Veteran

United Kingdom
Ashford Kent
Minicross424 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well good luck to Dario i wish him well.
I wonder if a top liner ( who was ) from europe will help tv coverage over here as its a bit hit and miss at present.
Old 9 Sep 2007, 22:55 (Ref:2008044)   #20
Fish_Flake
Veteran

Georgia
The Foothills of North Georgia
Fish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridFish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridFish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Next year, there may very well be twice as many Indy 500 winners driving in NASCAR than in Indycars. Even with the potential for one-off entries for the big race, there may be the same number of faces on the Borg-Warner Trophy visible in Charlotte next Memorial Day weekend than at the Brickyard. Sad, but a sign of the times.
Old 10 Sep 2007, 01:38 (Ref:2008117)   #21
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
Dario has done it all.
He raced in indy car via cART/ IRL, won Indy, drank the milk, won the series, what else is there. It is dangerous, Ashley didn't like him running ovals in open wheel. He has had two spectacular flights in recent months so go Dario.

You have served your time. Enjoy your time in the taxi's....
Enjoy it and you go with my best wishes for the future.
Old 10 Sep 2007, 03:43 (Ref:2008141)   #22
drdisque
Veteran

Antarctica
Chicago
drdisque should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Will we see Dario make a start in Cup: Absolutely
Will he be a full-time cup driver for any extended period of time: probably not

It just doesn't "fit" him.
Old 16 Sep 2007, 15:04 (Ref:2014662)   #23
foreversideways
Veteran

England
Bramhall
foreversideways should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridforeversideways should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish_Flake
Next year, there may very well be twice as many Indy 500 winners driving in NASCAR than in Indycars. Even with the potential for one-off entries for the big race, there may be the same number of faces on the Borg-Warner Trophy visible in Charlotte next Memorial Day weekend than at the Brickyard. Sad, but a sign of the times.
There all looking for a big payday