Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 25 Aug 2001, 09:45 (Ref:135636)   #1
AGGY
Racer

AGGY should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Should Bathurst be shortened??

It`s a big format..who honestly watches the whole telcast,i haven`t in my life.

I think it being reduced to a 4hr event would be an improvement.

Ok i`m an aussie,but the bathurst circuit is the best active track in the world,6hrs or 4hr...still Bathurst without the Video taping crisis...Bathurst must be recorded in Short play..it`s un-Australian to do otherwise.
Old 25 Aug 2001, 10:16 (Ref:135649)   #2
frederick
Rookie

frederick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Shorten Bathurst !!! ???

HERESY !!! NO!!! it should remain the same 1000kms else where's the comparison with past performances....its bad enough that they changed it from 500 miles but to shorten it so you can fit it on one video tape would be the ultimate act of Vandalism
shame on you you for thinking it and if you're that tight-arsed give me your address and i'll send you a couple of blank tapes....
Old 25 Aug 2001, 10:20 (Ref:135654)   #3
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
1000 kays is great. If anything I would want it to go the other way , maybe 2000 kays , start in the dark. Super Tourers would be great for 2000 kays I don't they would change the distance for the conveniance of taping the race.
Old 25 Aug 2001, 10:40 (Ref:135663)   #4
AGGY
Racer

Re: Shorten Bathurst !!! ???

Quote:
Originally posted by frederick
HERESY !!! NO!!! it should remain the same 1000kms else where's the comparison with past performances....its bad enough that they changed it from 500 miles but to shorten it so you can fit it on one video tape would be the ultimate act of Vandalism
shame on you you for thinking it and if you're that tight-arsed give me your address and i'll send you a couple of blank tapes....
You don`t understand,i want the whole event on one tape..it`s got nothing to do with money concerns,see JV about that one.

The saturday 3hr production car is the best event of the weekend anyway,you get to see real cars you can buy.
Old 25 Aug 2001, 11:10 (Ref:135679)   #5
mtpanorama
Veteran

Australia
Bathurst (best racetrack in the world)
mtpanorama should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: Should Bathurst be shortened??

Quote:
Originally posted by AGGY
It`s a big format..who honestly watches the whole telcast,i haven`t in my life.

Ok i`m a dumb aussie,
Take some more pills and go and have a lie down.

YOU MUST BE KIDDING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just because you cant be bothered why tell the rest of us about it. Im not a tennis fan , but i dont go around telling them to shorten the game to make it more exciting.
If it is to long , just dont watch it, simple.

Go away and come back when you have thought about it a bit more.

Last edited by mtpanorama; 25 Aug 2001 at 11:12.
Old 25 Aug 2001, 12:35 (Ref:135714)   #6
AGGY
Racer

Re: Re: Should Bathurst be shortened??

Quote:
Originally posted by mtpanorama

Take some more pills and go and have a lie down.

YOU MUST BE KIDDING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just because you cant be bothered why tell the rest of us about it. Im not a tennis fan , but i dont go around telling them to shorten the game to make it more exciting.
If it is to long , just dont watch it, simple.

Go away and come back when you have thought about it a bit more.
Sorry to threaten your sacred event,but my comments stand.
Old 25 Aug 2001, 12:51 (Ref:135717)   #7
mtpanorama
Veteran

Australia
Bathurst (best racetrack in the world)
mtpanorama should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: Re: Re: Should Bathurst be shortened??

Quote:

Sorry to threaten your sacred event,but my comments stand.
Dont be sorry, because the day that you become a threat to the great race will be the same day that 2litre super tourers become a threat.
Old 25 Aug 2001, 12:58 (Ref:135719)   #8
frederick
Rookie

frederick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
AGGY
yeah i agree with you regarding the production cars and i like the GTP category too, the current V8 formula is getting a bit tedious

as for getting it on one tape....well i've got kids and a wife who i have trained to change tapes during commercials so i guess its just not a problem for me....give me your address anyway i could probably spare a kid for an afternoon....he could bring the blanks with him
Old 25 Aug 2001, 13:03 (Ref:135720)   #9
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
YIKES !!!!! scary thought in my book.

I wouldnt want it shortened at all in fact I agree with D.R.T and think they should extend it 200kays or even 24 hrs
but that wont happen .... I find even after 6 hours of watching im still left with a feeling that I want more ..I watch it religously and usually make a day of it ..plenty of food and plenty of drink...and passing out about 30 mins after the telecast finishes.
Old 25 Aug 2001, 20:30 (Ref:135812)   #10
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
DNQ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: Should Bathurst be shortened??

Quote:
who honestly watches the whole telcast
me
Old 26 Aug 2001, 00:10 (Ref:135904)   #11
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have watched the whole telecast of saturday and sunday for as long as i remember, and have never been bored, and shortre formats for the Bathurst weekend don't work, remember Bathurst 99, bring back the 12 hour for GT-P
Old 26 Aug 2001, 01:48 (Ref:135929)   #12
Brock
Rookie

Brock should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

This topic should be taken with the seriousness it deserves..... none
Bathurst is what it is because it is an ENDURANCE race of 1000km on one of the worlds greatest tracks. Maybe you should suggest to the French to change Le Mans to 12 in stead of 24hrs or The Yanks that Daytona and Indy be shortened from 500 to 250 miles I think not. The Great Race should and will always be 1000km
Old 26 Aug 2001, 03:36 (Ref:135940)   #13
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Although the history of the race was built on an 800km race (500 miles), it has been 1000km for years, and what does it say about you that you can't be bothered to get off the couch for 5 seconds to change a video in a VCR, and if you buy a 5 hour tape and cut out the adds, hourly highlights and so on you can nearly get the whole race on tape.
Old 26 Aug 2001, 09:12 (Ref:135989)   #14
Alan Jones
Veteran

Alan Jones should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
AGGY,
the best thing about Bathurst is the race goes for the whole day. I have sat in front of the tele for the last 20 odd years from start to finish, starting at around 7am and it is fantastic. The only real V8 race of the year.As for wanting it to fit on one tape, that's easy.
Buy a good VCR with the Long Play recording function, it doubles the lenght of the tape you use

Long live the 1000

PS. You need ample supplies of the amber stuff for a good day Aggy and a BBQ that you can set up and still see the TV
Old 26 Aug 2001, 12:51 (Ref:136034)   #15
Champ69
Veteran

Champ69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have a child, and a wife that hates motor racing.

I tape Bathurst on long play, take out a few adds and still have heaps of room left at the end of the tape. I also tape the f1 races and fit 3 races on one tape.

Go the enduro.
Old 26 Aug 2001, 13:45 (Ref:136048)   #16
Ray Bell
Veteran

Ray Bell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
When the opportunity came (with Australia's conversion to metric weights and measures in 1973/74), one of the principal reasons for going to the increased distance was the shortening race time.

It's actually nearly time for another extension, not a reduction, if the same thinking applies!
Old 26 Aug 2001, 13:59 (Ref:136055)   #17
AGGY
Racer

Sorry guys,but recording motorsport in Long play is simply un-Australian.
Old 26 Aug 2001, 14:05 (Ref:136062)   #18
AGGY
Racer

I`m sure you all heard on the telecast QLD 500,about V8 supercars gaining timeslots on speedivision and so on.

Does anyone know if Bathurst has improved it`s ratings..in the era of video games..a 9-10hr coverage is too much.
Old 26 Aug 2001, 20:09 (Ref:136132)   #19
Falcadore
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Falcadore should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If the coverage is too long for you, don't watch all of it. If Channel 10 feel the need the shorten then coverage, then they can do that. However, the Bathurst 1000 is the Bathurst 1000. Look what happenned to the Super Touring race when they shortened it, half the teams pulled out and the race plummeted (even further). Channel 7 thought a shorter race and coverage would be better and were dramatically proved wrong.

The race is called the Bathurst 1000 because that is the distance, like the Indy 500 or the Le Mans 24 Hour. It's endurance racing it's supposed to be long and hard. Touring Car racing was built on the success of the Bathurst 1000. The popularity of the format created the ATCC as we know it today. Why mess with perfection?

As for the Bathurst 2 Hour as it is now. GT-P is a long way from Series Production as we used to know it. Calling them Production Cars is starting to stretch the truth more than a bit. Cars we can buy? Limited production runs of Mistubishi Evos, HSVs and STi Imprezas all over $60,000? Hrmmmm, not exactly the volume sellers in the market place. And GT-P is very much in the shadow of Nations Cup ($250,000+) and V8Brutes (Lowest Common Denominator Racing)
Old 26 Aug 2001, 23:53 (Ref:136228)   #20
Ray Bell
Veteran

Quote:
Does anyone know if Bathurst has improved it`s ratings..in the era of video games..a 9-10hr coverage is too much.
Oh, is this where all your inane comments come from? A belief that the world is being reduced to a video game!

Well, fortunately, when the farmers plough the field to grow the wheat that makes the cake that keeps you alive, they don't do it on a video game.

In the same way, people who really like motor racing actually watch the real thing.

To them, the game is a diversion, their interest is in the reality. With you it must be the opposite.
Old 27 Aug 2001, 04:31 (Ref:136275)   #21
AGGY
Racer

Quote:
Originally posted by Ray Bell

Oh, is this where all your inane comments come from? A belief that the world is being reduced to a video game!

Well, fortunately, when the farmers plough the field to grow the wheat that makes the cake that keeps you alive, they don't do it on a video game.

In the same way, people who really like motor racing actually watch the real thing.

To them, the game is a diversion, their interest is in the reality. With you it must be the opposite.
Ray i could respond thoroughly but i`m worried i might obliterate your dignity.

I don`t play video games...but they are reality also.
Old 27 Aug 2001, 04:41 (Ref:136280)   #22
Ray Bell
Veteran

The day video games become reality will be the days you can affect my dignity. You have made everyone patently aware of your immaturity and lack of sense, despite my best efforts to try and help you contain yourself...
Old 27 Aug 2001, 04:44 (Ref:136282)   #23
AGGY
Racer

Quote:
Originally posted by Ray Bell
The day video games become reality will be the days you can affect my dignity. You have made everyone patently aware of your immaturity and lack of sense, despite my best efforts to try and help you contain yourself...
Unfortunately Ray,i can think for myself...i realize this can upset at times,but hey lifes too short to be silent.

Video games have molecules.
Old 27 Aug 2001, 07:29 (Ref:136307)   #24
Buckshot
Veteran

Australia
Cambridge Gardens, NSW, Australia
Buckshot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBuckshot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Aggy...after seeing this thread and your threads in the F1 Forum is there any chance if we ask nicely you could just go away ?

You sound pretty young...shouldn't you be playing your Playstation or swapping basketball cards wit yo' homeys or something...anything but posting on here.
Old 27 Aug 2001, 13:02 (Ref:136451)   #25
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I like many others here would consider anything less than 1000km at Bathurst as an abomination. I also am one who watches every second of the entire telecast, it takes planning of course, you buy all the food and drink in the preceding week and you only get stuff that can be prepared in one ad break. Though Ten is making it easy nowadays, you can nearly do a roast dinner in an ad break now.

I believe we live in a free country where everyone has the right to speak, even the young and stupid, though of course they must earn the right to be listened too.