Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 28 Mar 2002, 02:38 (Ref:245601)   #1
BBKing
Veteran

BBKing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
CART vs F1; Montreal.

It has been confirmed that they will use the same race configuration for both races this year. The only difference is that one takes place in june and the other one in August.

Who will be the fastest?
Old 28 Mar 2002, 03:47 (Ref:245623)   #2
strad
Veteran

strad should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Same track?? I didn't realise that...tooooo cooooool
F-1 cars of course!

Last edited by strad; 28 Mar 2002 at 03:48.
Old 28 Mar 2002, 04:11 (Ref:245630)   #3
drexel
Racer

drexel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
F1 i hope... Or why am i watching this second rate competition.
Old 28 Mar 2002, 04:15 (Ref:245636)   #4
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
F1 for sure.... Patrick Carpentier even said so... but the Cart race might actually have some racing in it...so your choice.

The only changes involve removing some grandstands so that fans have a bit more access to the track and paddock area.
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 28 Mar 2002, 04:22 (Ref:245643)   #5
BD
Racer

BD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The F1 cars will be much, much faster. I'd bet that the fastest F1 race lap will be quicker than Cart's pole time.
Old 28 Mar 2002, 04:26 (Ref:245645)   #6
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!
Yup, I'm guessing the F1 cars will be much more nimble around the corners. We'll see for sure. What a terrific idea!
Old 28 Mar 2002, 06:26 (Ref:245685)   #7
DavyboyLT1
Racer

DavyboyLT1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
F1 cars are going to be quicker.

But the difference will be even more pronounced when CART goes to the normally aspirated engine formula.
Old 28 Mar 2002, 07:08 (Ref:245695)   #8
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
F1 cars will lap faster, no question. It will be interesting to compare, also, how many laps under the safety car each race will have, which will concertina up the field and make any overtaking moves less advantageous. I suppose all the diving into the pits during certain yellow periods makes CART difficult for me to follow. :confused:
Old 28 Mar 2002, 08:12 (Ref:245712)   #9
Splatz the Cow
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
Splatz the Cow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSplatz the Cow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
VB you have to kind of know the drivers paint schemes to follow it. Sometimes (often) they are talking about Michael Andretti, but on screen is someone else's car. Or some car sounds 'off' or blowing smoke, but the one you're looking at has just set the fastest lap and is doing fine. Also, follow the little position monitor on the screen really closely, if its too fast for you, you need to do more learning of the drivers names. Some races are poorly covered by a network, so a car disappears from the timing and nobody says why (annoying). In the end you'll notice things before they do sometimes, like Vasser's getting a 'push' in his car because he missed the apex at turn three a couple of times in a row, and you can pick it up.
You probably know most of this already...

Have fun!
Old 28 Mar 2002, 08:52 (Ref:245732)   #10
Raoul Duke
Veteran

Raoul Duke should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well F1 will be faster. But Cart will be the more competive and evenly matched.
Old 28 Mar 2002, 09:11 (Ref:245741)   #11
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Apprently CART will be going the opposite way, and the track will not be in the same configuration.
Old 28 Mar 2002, 11:28 (Ref:245827)   #12
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by f1manoz
Apprently CART will be going the opposite way, and the track will not be in the same configuration.
where did you hear this? cart races like ROAD AMERICA go the "right" way so why shouldn't montreal! although to be fair, indy goes the "wrong" way (down the straight) and imola also goes the "wrong" way!!

it will be a shame though if it does go like that, it would have been nice to compare times!
Old 28 Mar 2002, 11:58 (Ref:245838)   #13
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
What do we mean by right and wrong way? Anti-clockwise isn't automatically wrong, its how Imola (and Interlagos) were designed, giving those neck muscles a different test. I had thought the Montreal CART race would be ran in reverse, but apparently not, which should make an even more itneresting comparison. Montreal is a great racetrack which almost always produces a cracking race without even needing rain for excitement, so CART should be great fun there.
Old 28 Mar 2002, 13:10 (Ref:245884)   #14
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Lee Janotta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
All of Montreal's runoffs and tire barriers are designed to run clockwise, so I doubt CART would run it the other way... Just wouldn't be very safe.
Old 28 Mar 2002, 17:44 (Ref:246009)   #15
neilap
Veteran

Jamaica
neilap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Finally! F1 cars accelerate much more quickly. However I do not know if the cornering speeds will be that much faster if at all. This I do want to see.

Speaking of CART. What bothers me is sometimes we cant tell who is leading the race till the last third of the race. The pit strategys are rediculous. The full course yellows are dumb too. The worse thing is the coverage. I like to watch the Hondas kick ass but I just dont seem to be able to keep up with their coverage.
Old 28 Mar 2002, 17:59 (Ref:246022)   #16
paulzinho
Veteran

Brazil
Larkfield, Kent, UK
paulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpaulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
At least you get coverage over there....
Old 28 Mar 2002, 18:16 (Ref:246028)   #17
BD
Racer

Neilap,
The F1 cars will be faster around corners, mainly why their lap times will be so much quicker.
CART can sometimes be exciting, but it doesnt get me going like F1. Especially the ovals. Boring.
Old 28 Mar 2002, 18:30 (Ref:246042)   #18
senna12
Veteran

senna12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The CART cars will not be as fast, but they are more evenly matched, so the experience should be quite enjoyable. Not to mention less expensive. A 3 day gold grandstand pass in Vancouver for our CART race is 210 dollars Canadian (start/finish line), but the cheapest grandstand is only 75 dollars. A 3 day gold pass for the Canadian GP is 415 dollars Canadian, with the cheapest grandstand at 185, and general admission at 75. So I guess in terms of excitement for dollars spent, CART is for you. (Pit passes not included!)
Old 28 Mar 2002, 19:41 (Ref:246105)   #19
Speedworx
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northamptonshire
Speedworx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
CART should make Montreal a good track. F1 is boring around that track.

I hope the CART cars are faster, they should be down the straights.
Old 28 Mar 2002, 20:32 (Ref:246145)   #20
BD
Racer

Quote:
Originally posted by hakkiman

I hope the CART cars are faster, they should be down the straights.
They probably wont be faster down the straights. But faster on the straights usually means slower around corners, thus slower lap times.
Its all about aerodynamics. F1 cars are far superior aerodynamically. Plus they are lighter, and the grooved tires are probably better.
Old 28 Mar 2002, 23:42 (Ref:246310)   #21
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Formula One cars will be much faster than the CART cars. However, I think that the CART race will be more exciting, and there will be more racing. When you look at it, CART have 20 very good driver/car combinations that are capable of winning a race (the whole field), whereas F1 only have 6 out of 22.

And Valve Bounce, CART have done a lot of work to prevent those pitstop races, by implementing fuel windows that require full rich, 10/10ths racing. It seems a little artificial, but it appears to work a treat.

Last edited by mac; 28 Mar 2002 at 23:45.
Old 29 Mar 2002, 05:28 (Ref:246433)   #22
Schummy
Subscriber
Veteran

Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!
I also suppose F1s are going to be faster than CARTs, basically these are heavier (acceleration, cornering, etc).

Generally speaking I prefer CART races because they has to fight during all the afternoon because all that circumstances they have (yellows, fuel strategy, equalness, etc). I know sometimes it is "strange", even doubtful, for those used to F1-style racing, but I find it great to watch. In F1 a driver with a great car can disappear in the distance and coast to the flag. A lot of F1 races are decided at half distance, except for mechanical breakages or incident, in CART the best car/driver has to fight against the circumstances and smart fuel strategies. I love it, I'm ashamed to admit it

Anyway these days we have good F1 races again with the Ferrari/Williams/McLaren situation. Obviously the others teams do not exist in wins/pole terms, and they could rest at home as well Well I'm half joking here...

What I always liked in F1 are qualifying sesions, and I don't bother CART qualifyings at all, as I don't think they focus in it as in F1. In F1, qualify is worth half a race, and it is decided in one hot lap. Great to watch.
Old 29 Mar 2002, 17:41 (Ref:246688)   #23
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't care whether the Champ Cars are faster or not.. (I know they won't be...)

I just look forward to seeing some actual racing and battles for position. Cart street/road races are exactly like F1 races, but with a few more yellow flags, and fewer mechanics at each pit stop... Actually, many Cart road races have fewer yellow flag laps than the Australian GP has had the last two years....so go figure.

I used to like F1 more...but I've gotten sick of all the egos and slang matches in the media, between drivers, and most disgacefully between the fans (e.g. the Ralf vs Juan trife that's been on this forum in the last few months). Cart is hardly free from contraversy, but the atmosphere among the drivers, fans and media is generally very friendly. Something F1 hasn't had in my lifetime...

Last edited by Jay; 29 Mar 2002 at 17:42.
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 29 Mar 2002, 20:31 (Ref:246831)   #24
Speedworx
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northamptonshire
Speedworx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
CART cars will be faster down the straights because they have a turbo.

Its why they used to go as fast as 240mph. F1 struggles to reach 220mph.
Old 29 Mar 2002, 21:03 (Ref:246862)   #25
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by hakkiman

hello!!! you don't remember the '99 canadian grand prix then? one of the best grand prixs of the last few years i'd say!