Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 6 Oct 2004, 15:12 (Ref:1117043)   #1
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
British GP - looking more likely

This quote from a source close to sports minister Richard Caborn has just dropped on the Press Association wires:

"He is now much more confident that a deal can be delivered than he was last week.

"The two sides have been back in useful negotiations and they both know the Grand Prix is too big to drop for both of them.

"Although it is not 100% yet, he has high hopes there will be an announcement before the end of the week."
Old 6 Oct 2004, 15:21 (Ref:1117049)   #2
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well Jim Rosentail said their was a 40/60% chance of it still going ahead.
Old 6 Oct 2004, 15:23 (Ref:1117052)   #3
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
My gut instinct has always been that the race was never in as much danger as we've been led to believe.
Old 6 Oct 2004, 15:23 (Ref:1117053)   #4
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
For once, i agre with you K-B ;
Old 6 Oct 2004, 15:29 (Ref:1117059)   #5
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Why only once?
Old 6 Oct 2004, 15:39 (Ref:1117069)   #6
Kicking-back
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr V
For once, i agre with you K-B ;

I'll enjoy the feeling, it'll probably be a long time before it happens again
Old 6 Oct 2004, 15:58 (Ref:1117096)   #7
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
IMO twas clear that Bernie's final aim was not to exclude Silverstone, but just to get more money from the track owners to hold the race.
Once they pay the race is back at once on the schedule
Old 6 Oct 2004, 16:21 (Ref:1117122)   #8
Number Juan
Veteran

Tajikstan
Sussex, UK
Number Juan has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
it's not official yet guys...remember the absence of Spa a year ago? things can change ever-so quickly in F1. just don't expect a quick solution to the problem

Here must all distrust be left;
All cowardice must here be dead
Old 6 Oct 2004, 18:13 (Ref:1117222)   #9
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Brinkmanship - I think the race will happen, with a combination of the BRDC raising more funds or getting guarantee's from land sales, and the government finding a way to indirectly support the race without being seen to contribute to a hugely wealthy support.

The future for Silverstone IMO, rely's on developing it as a motor racing/engineering resource and centre, as well as a race track. That will release government and EU money, if there is seen to be a tangiable benefet to the UK economy and skills base.
Old 6 Oct 2004, 20:53 (Ref:1117366)   #10
djinvicta
Veteran

Wales
Mojacar Southern Spain
djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!
Bernie is a spin doctor and the best, amongst the F1 circus act
Old 7 Oct 2004, 08:45 (Ref:1117784)   #11
Spudgun
Race Official
Veteran

England
Reading, UK
Spudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Could it be? Could we be saved? I hope so, I really do. Noige to the rescue! (hopefully)

http://www.itv-f1.com/News_Article.aspx?PO_ID=31295

Last edited by Spudgun; 7 Oct 2004 at 08:46.
Old 7 Oct 2004, 08:58 (Ref:1117798)   #12
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Nige, the new Bernie?
Old 7 Oct 2004, 09:07 (Ref:1117805)   #13
Spudgun
Race Official
Veteran

England
Reading, UK
Spudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by AdamAshmore
Nige, the new Bernie?
It's a good job I wasn't drinking coffee, it could have been messy.

That would never happen. He's too tall for a start.
Old 7 Oct 2004, 10:14 (Ref:1117840)   #14
muzza4ever
Racer

England
Grim up North, UK
muzza4ever should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/moto...ne/3705746.stm

BBC has now picked up on it as well
Old 7 Oct 2004, 10:20 (Ref:1117845)   #15
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Hmm,

This is the "announcement" rather than the speculative piece then.

Interesting to see who the "players" are in this. Also the words "I have agreed with Bernie". But does this change the provisional calendar?
Old 7 Oct 2004, 10:40 (Ref:1117863)   #16
muzza4ever
Racer

England
Grim up North, UK
muzza4ever should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My understanding is that even if Silverstone isn't on the provisional list that goes before FIA on the 13th if the slot that Silverstone normally occupies is free there's a good chance it can be added later.

I can't quite recall where but I remember seeing a quote that apparently tracks only receive the ticket sale revenue. So that begs the question who's getting fat off the revenue from the merchandise and food van people?
Old 7 Oct 2004, 10:47 (Ref:1117871)   #17
Kicking-back
Veteran

The food van people and merchandise sellers pay a fee to be on site and then keep their own takings.
Old 7 Oct 2004, 11:24 (Ref:1117894)   #18
DSM
Veteran

DSM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
But Ecclestone gets all of those fees, everything but the gate receipts.
I heard Caborn on R4 this morning. It seems clear that the taxpayer is going to make up the shortfall to Ecclestone, at least going by the efforts he made to avoid answering the question. Whether it's via the EMDA or whatever, the taxpayer's going to fill the pockets of these multi millionaires just a little bit more.
Personally I think it stinks and the smell comes from Stewart and Co. as much as Ecclestone.
Old 7 Oct 2004, 12:11 (Ref:1117944)   #19
Dan Rear
Veteran

Dan Rear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by DSM
But Ecclestone gets all of those fees, everything but the gate receipts.
I heard Caborn on R4 this morning. It seems clear that the taxpayer is going to make up the shortfall to Ecclestone, at least going by the efforts he made to avoid answering the question. Whether it's via the EMDA or whatever, the taxpayer's going to fill the pockets of these multi millionaires just a little bit more.
Personally I think it stinks and the smell comes from Stewart and Co. as much as Ecclestone.
DSM, I quite agree. I object to paying taxes fullstop. Especially Tony & Gordon' Stealth ones, but if they're going to be used to give more to Bernie/Schuey, and the whole F1 Gravy Train, thats really obscene. If Stweart's so bothered, why can't he pay, or some of the other BRDC bigwigs.

Personally, the sooner the Gravy Train disappers up its won A**E to places that are silly enough to want to pay for it, the better. Let the Chinese,Bahrainians, Indians, Russians, or whoever keep it. It stinks now, as purely a money grabbing exercise, devoid of any relation with a sport, and with its long and proud traditions.

Dinosaur Dan
Old 7 Oct 2004, 12:33 (Ref:1117980)   #20
fosheti
Rookie

fosheti should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
iam new to ten tenths and this is my first post as i feel so disilusioned with f1 and the ongoing silverstone saga.
I got hooked on f1 in the early seventies and have been a regular british gp atendee since 1973, and have only missed a handfull in 30 years.
What i would like to know is this, our ticket prices over the years have allways been amongst the most expensive, both at brands and silverstone, where has all the profit gone? only since 2000 has silverstone realy changed, the main startline grandstands had been there for years upto then, and the new ones are not even covered completely.
The spectators lot over the years has got worse and worse along with access to the drivers and teams, the cost has gone up and the event overall has got worse for the loyal fan.With the prices we have all paid we should have one of the best facilities already in the world.
Old 7 Oct 2004, 12:54 (Ref:1117998)   #21
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Welcome to our friendly forum fosheti.

Sporting Life is reporting the BRDC as saying. NO!

http://www.sportinglife.com/story_ge...tone_Lead.html
Old 7 Oct 2004, 13:09 (Ref:1118010)   #22
josvandeperre
Veteran

England
Central London
josvandeperre should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
grandprix.com suggests its all part of Bernie's game :

http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns13612.html

the alleged involvement of a large property firm could be a reflection of this story :

http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns13600.html

and could just possibly be good news ie redevelop the whole of Silverstone without the BRDC to a state of the art F1 capable complex
Old 7 Oct 2004, 13:17 (Ref:1118015)   #23
chezza
Veteran

England
Shrewton, Wiltshire
chezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Sorry but the BRDC have said that they will never sell Silverstone...maybe lease but I doubt they would sell it.
Old 9 Oct 2004, 11:35 (Ref:1119639)   #24
Spudgun
Race Official
Veteran

England
Reading, UK
Hmmm.. I think I see the plot.

Bernie is now offering to promote the race himself for 7 years "rent-free".

http://www.itv-f1.com/News_Article.aspx?PO_ID=31321

That's it. Bring the event down on it's knees and then strike so he can practically dictate terms.

If BRDC have any sense then they should go with Brand Synergy. Apparently they are willing to invest £200 million quid in the facilities.
Old 11 Oct 2004, 11:35 (Ref:1120984)   #25
marz
Rookie

marz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bernie give some respect to the britsh

look we deserve to have the grand prix. just because its smaller and not as big as the others doesn't mean it oesnt still have potential. Bernie neds to repsect were formula 1 came from and let us keep one our treasured sports at home.