View Single Post
Old 16 Jan 2021, 10:16 (Ref:4029403)   #72
Geraint Owen
Racer

Geraint Owen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duddha View Post
What you may experience may be different than the text, however, and as a good friend and racer told me, it's up to the point one of us will be asked the question: "Anything to declare?" And that the answer of the custom agent will be: "Fine, let us have a look."

A couple of things for UK to EU:

1 - As a private or commercial entity, towing a car which is road registered and road legal, for which you can demonstrate ownership, the understanding is that there would be no need for ATA carnet in strict terms and a duplicate listing would do the job for all accompanying goods essentially related to the vehicle in question.

Now the big thing here and to close this, as to Situation 1 – It is likely that customs may require an ATA carnet even if the car is registered as the “intention” prevails. This meaning that even though the vehicle is registered and road legal, the usage and intention is for racing purpose only.

Thanks for this Louis. It is most helpful. I am still disappointed that MUK didnt look at things in more detail before they published what they did this week.

But I would like to pick you up on one point. In red you state "it is likely". I would argue either they do or they do not. HMRC really need to have a clear position on this. Some definitive guidance is needed and it needs to be published so that it can be shown to any over zealous border guard. MUK could have done more to support its club level licence holders. I assume the rally guys are just as up in arms. The trackday crowd going to the 'Ring are.

There are other questions. What, for example, would they do if you were taking a car to show at Retromobile or on a driving holiday? Same car, same border but different intention. What happens if I want to do some road miles as well as track miles when in Europe? Given the car would be fine if driven it is tricky. I can see people being stopped and simply dropping the car off the trailer!

I have written to HMRC directly and asked them to clarify. I will share any reply