Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > National & International Single Seaters

Old 5 Jun 2002, 18:27 (Ref:305516)   #1
sgrok
Racer

sgrok should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
commentators

It could be my cynicism in overdrive, but do commentators take backhanders from over-enthusiastic PRs/teams to mention certain drivers more than others?

If not then perhaps the silverstone ff race should have been renamed the Mike Conway Trailblaze, as it seems according to the commentators he was the only man on the track at the weekend.

I've also heard far too many innacuracies - they basically make things up - and much slagging off of the backmarkers - fair enough they're not race winning material, but don't these commentators understand who pays them? It's the competitors - all of them.

A lot of people listen to commentary - esp on TOCA radio etc, and surely these men have a duty - in fact it's their job - to give fair and accurate description of what is happening on the track?
Old 5 Jun 2002, 18:51 (Ref:305528)   #2
Paul Rayner
Veteran

Paul Rayner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: commentators

Quote:
Originally posted by sgrok
It could be my cynicism in overdrive, but do commentators take backhanders from over-enthusiastic PRs/teams to mention certain drivers more than others?
I really doubt it. What they do get from enthusiastic PR people/teams is press releases. If a driver wants a mention, there's nothing to stop them getting a press release done and putting it in the media centre, or even giving it personally to the commentator.
That way, when a race is a bit dull, the commentator has something they can talk about. Maybe it's an amusing thing that the driver told them earlier, or anything remotely interesting, they've been given the information, so can use it if they want.

We can't expect the commentators to know the background of every driver in every championship, so naturally they're going to talk about who they're given information on.

Although I didn't look at it, Michael Conway had some promotional leaflets, and maybe even a CD (I can't 100% remember), in the media centre at Silverstone. That could be the explanation you're looking for.

Last edited by Paul Rayner; 5 Jun 2002 at 18:52.
Old 5 Jun 2002, 19:06 (Ref:305541)   #3
Tallie
Rookie

Tallie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: commentators

or it could have been that the race between conway and gaymor was much more interesting than the rest of the race! the commentators do talk about whats happening in the race... and thats why they cant talk about every driver! And they are entitled to give their opinions on any driver, good or bad!
Old 5 Jun 2002, 19:38 (Ref:305577)   #4
B/Mark
Racer

B/Mark should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think the comentators do an excellent job. It must be near impossible to watch all the action, keep talking intelligently throughout - oh and avoid bias for fear of offending sgrok, while entertaining the rest of us.
So who is the best commentator?
My vote goes to the semi-retired Brian Jones, his coverage of formula ford festivals over the years have added to the enjoyment of the best meeting of the year.
Old 5 Jun 2002, 19:44 (Ref:305583)   #5
Jonny Apex
Veteran

Jonny Apex should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ian Titchmarsh. His knowledge and quick wit is amazing. Out of this world.

He and Alan Hyde's wonderful enthusiasm make for a terrific double act and long may it continue.
Old 5 Jun 2002, 19:49 (Ref:305587)   #6
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Track commentators have a very, very difficult job to do. I was privileged to watch them in action from the Knickerbrook commentary box at Oulton Park recently, and what with trying to maintain a 270% field of vision at all times, so as not to miss anything, keep a lap chart, concentrate on what the commentator at the start-finish straight is saying AND think of something intelligent to say in their own right, it gives precious little time to do things like indulge in payola or other forms of prejudice.

Some clubs ensure that drivers are encouraged to submit little biog sheets, to give commentators a chance to say something interesting about them, but 95% of the time, the guy in the commentary box is trying desparately to make the action flow for people who can't see as much of the track as they can.

Favourite trackside commentators? Three stand out for me. Neville Hay, Ian Titchmarsh and Alan Hyde. Well, I would say that, wouldn't I? And no one has paid me anything to do it!
Old 5 Jun 2002, 19:50 (Ref:305588)   #7
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
i do think charlie cox comes out with some funny comparisons and phrases sometimes.

but alan hyde is badly underestimated. his set at the toca party at the end of last year added to his deity status quite nicely.
Old 5 Jun 2002, 19:54 (Ref:305593)   #8
TVR
Rookie

TVR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
the race was very good and conway was coming from the back of the grid, but as you sgrog have a chip on your shoulder we should expect you to print such rubbish .
Old 5 Jun 2002, 20:13 (Ref:305630)   #9
Tallie
Rookie

fully with ya on that TVR!!!
Old 5 Jun 2002, 20:43 (Ref:305699)   #10
Paul Rayner
Veteran

Paul Rayner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think my favourite commentator is Alan Hyde, his talent for thinking up and asking exactly the right questions on the spot is incredible, as well as the way his enthusiasm for the sport comes through the commentary. As for others, I agree that Ian Titchmarsh is very good, and would like to see him and David Addison working together at more events. With his incredible knowledge of F3, I'm surprised Addison hasn't been commentating at the super weekends.
One thing I'll say for Addison is that at Knockhill recently I was listening to the GT race on the radio in my car, and it sounded fantastic. Anyone that can make a GT race sound that good is, in my opinion, very talented.
Old 6 Jun 2002, 18:58 (Ref:306612)   #11
sgrok
Racer

Quote:
Originally posted by TVR
the race was very good and conway was coming from the back of the grid, but as you sgrog have a chip on your shoulder we should expect you to print such rubbish .
that'll be pot/kettle/black syndrome there, and van diemen bias tvr.

It's not just in ff, in fact I think it's the f3 commentators, as the same drivel came over the airwaves at knockhill. Talk of 'proper drivers' and implying that some on the track weren't.

In fact, isn't david addison in pr - vested interest?
Old 6 Jun 2002, 21:50 (Ref:306762)   #12
Tallie
Rookie

sgrok... no one agrees with you!! shut up already!!

And f3, some of the drivers are probably not as good as the rest... thats what separates the ones that move on up to the others, (otherwise all of them would be in f1 now wouldnt they).

btw, i agree with u tvr.
Old 6 Jun 2002, 21:56 (Ref:306770)   #13
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
alright, keep your knickers on.
Old 6 Jun 2002, 22:00 (Ref:306779)   #14
Tallie
Rookie

sorry bella... just couldnt believe what sgrok wrote after everyone else disagreed with the first point.
Old 6 Jun 2002, 22:04 (Ref:306784)   #15
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
just remember to keep it down. there's people trying to sleep next door

we're all entitled to opinions. even the daft ones....
Old 6 Jun 2002, 22:07 (Ref:306788)   #16
Tallie
Rookie

lol... your right. and i'll whisper next time ok.
Old 6 Jun 2002, 22:12 (Ref:306792)   #17
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bless the old fellas, they need their beauty sleep
Old 7 Jun 2002, 17:17 (Ref:307580)   #18
TVR
Rookie

TVR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ok Bella but he always has to put people down , think if you had to talk about a race when Barbers 5 secs in front of heylen and he,s 3 secs in front of england , then you have to talk about somthing , and that somthing was Conway and Rodgers and the rest of the race,I have had a go at commentating and it bluddy hard, Lets get sgrog to commentate on the next Zetec race ? Bet he shuts up then...
Old 9 Jun 2002, 18:49 (Ref:308727)   #19
sgrok
Racer

discussion board. opinions discussed. or not as the case seems to be...