Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 14 Oct 2001, 12:09 (Ref:160426)   #1
Ralf
Racer

Ralf has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
F1 Commentators

The F1 commentary box needs another recent F1 driver with stategic knowledge next season. Martin Brundle does an excellent job but is constantly brought down by his bumbling partners. Murray had character but little inside knowledge. James Allen made too many obvious mistakes with driver names (especially at the start) & his assumption that M.Schumacher was on a 3 stopper was moronic. (Barrichello was obviously, but MS is .5 a lap quicker anyway) And then trying to make the race interesting at the end when there was no way JPM was going to cut MS's 6 sec lead was just irritating.

A recent driver like Hill or Herbert with current knowledge maybe. Cart commentators give more info in 5 mins that F1 in a whole race!

On another note, the only thing between Montoya & next years title will be reliabity. Schumi x5
Old 14 Oct 2001, 12:18 (Ref:160429)   #2
paulzinho
Veteran

Brazil
Larkfield, Kent, UK
paulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpaulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Re: F1 Commentators

Quote:
Originally posted by Ralf
Murray had character but little inside knowledge.
Murray is one of the most knowledgable people in F1. Very few know as much about the history and the facts as he does. Yes he made mistakes but he worked very well with Martin and any new commentator would find it tough to replace him.
Old 14 Oct 2001, 12:43 (Ref:160440)   #3
Ralf
Racer

Ralf has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Murray was very colourful & entertaining but you can't seriously say he has any insightful comments. (That's where Martin is so good, especially his in-car camera commentary). People in their position, will all the data in front of them, should have a better grasp of pit stategy's, fuel loads, picking drivers etc. It's a small point, but it makes an enjoyable 2 hours very irritating at times.
Old 14 Oct 2001, 13:54 (Ref:160455)   #4
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
I think James Allen is awful...today he babbled on about Montoya for the entire race like there was nothing better to talk about. And when he wasn't talking about JPM he was twittering on about tyres (which he has a real fixation with). Still, I guess you just can't find another Murray...they don't make 'em like they used to.

I don't think Damon Hill could commentate - I'm not sure why, but I don't think the job would suit him. He'd make a fantastic studio analyst for ITV though. He'd do a far better job than that irritating prat Mark Blundell.
Old 14 Oct 2001, 16:02 (Ref:160496)   #5
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I used to really like James' commentaries during the race, as he was the one providing new information, and seemed to be the only one that could count.

The commentary during the Japanese Grand Prix reminded me a lot of the American coverage of Cart races where they used talk endlessly about Michael Andretti as if he was the only thing worth watching, even when he wasn't involved in any battles.

This coverage was very similar, but with Montoya. I mean he is a good driver, who is enjoyable to watch, but I highly doubt that he is the only reason that people got up or stayed up to weird hours this weekend to watch the race.

I really liked the Eurosport Cart commentators. They seem to be able to provide the numbers, info, inciteful commentary and the occasional laugh without yattering on about the same bloody driver.
Old 14 Oct 2001, 17:50 (Ref:160557)   #6
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by Ralf's Girl
I think James Allen is awful...today he babbled on about Montoya for the entire race like there was nothing better to talk about.
I agree. Allen is just awful!! He sounds like a 13 year old girl when he talks about JPM. I keep expecting him to say "He's just soooo cute!!!

Doesn't Murray have a son or daughter??
Old 14 Oct 2001, 18:08 (Ref:160561)   #7
LucaBadoer
Veteran

United Kingdom
Harrogate, N Yorks.
LucaBadoer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Johnny Herbert should get Allen's place at ITV. Allen should be shoved back in the pits and that Ted dude in the pits should be sacked...

Herbert Herbert Herbert Herbert Herbert Herbert Herbert Herbert Herbert Herbert Herbert Herbert
Old 14 Oct 2001, 19:43 (Ref:160591)   #8
Crash and Burn
Racer

Crash and Burn should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Next year will be 'fun'

Martin Brundle and James Allen in the com box - this will be good
dafty Louise walking around the pits - everyone loves her - well NOT
and this new bloke who was at Japan - Who's he and where did they get him from?
Old 15 Oct 2001, 03:06 (Ref:160711)   #9
Wiki
Racer

Wiki should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
James' obsession with tyres is a rubber fetish gone wrong ... his obsession with Monty is - hmm better not say it, could be impressionable youngsters around!

First rule of commentating - "Say what you see"
Second rule of commentating - "Say what's happening at the back where we can't see but where there are still drivers we support rolling round and round."
Third rule of commentating - "Get it right, and if you can't get it right, then make it funny when you get it wrong."
Fourth rule of commentating - "Don't put two drivers in the box, even if they don't revive old team rivalries and thump each other they're bound to forget to chat in layman's terms. Variety is spice of life."

James has a lot to learn ... but he's only a rookie, a smug-faced git of one, but a rookie non-the-less!
Old 15 Oct 2001, 12:07 (Ref:160842)   #10
jetsetter
Veteran

Australia
Ipswich Qld Australia
jetsetter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They could do with giving James Allen a personality implant to liven him up a bit & rather than try to guess team strategies or tyre choices why not just go down to the pit reporters who are closest to the action.
Old 15 Oct 2001, 14:38 (Ref:160901)   #11
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I thought James Allen was quite good, with a few allowances for getting a bit overawed at the start.

Personally I appreciated the increase in technical comment, since this is essentially what F1 is. Lots of people here seem to want to get the technology out of F1 - but they're going to always be disappointed.

Despite this, and despite his "obsession" with tyres, he still missed that Fisichella did not change his fronts at the first stop (which was also missed at Spa) - which I think is a pretty unusual and significant tactic.
Old 15 Oct 2001, 14:51 (Ref:160906)   #12
ljakse
Veteran

Serbia
Belgrade, Serbia
ljakse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridljakse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Few years back, Eurosport was covering F1 and the comentators were John Watson (ex driver) and a young guy named Ben Edwards. I think that was great combination of experience in driving and knowledge&couriosity of the younger guy. On few occasions Watson predicted someone retiring by the sound of a car that passed by. I'm not sure where are those two guys now, but they would be my choice.
Old 15 Oct 2001, 15:02 (Ref:160913)   #13
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Well I also agree with everyone else James Allen is awful, anyway how about this for the dream ITV-F1 Coverage

Prenester:- Jim Rosenthal
Studio:- Tony Jardine, Mark Blundell, Johnny Herbert and Murray Walker
Commentators:- Ben Edwards and Martin Brundle
Pit Lane Commentators:- James Allen, Louise Goodman, Martin Heaven and Alan Hyde

Now thats better
Old 15 Oct 2001, 16:00 (Ref:160933)   #14
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Until this season Ben Edwards had been EuroSport's regular CART commentator but this year he has done a variety of races including some CART and F3000. I'd lvoe to see him do the F1 from an enthusiast's angle, but in many ways a familiar voice is a better choic to keep people interested, which is why names like Jeremy Calrkson and Tiff Needell have been put forward. I wonder if the football commentator Jonathan pearce knows much about F1, he'd be good as his style is very "shoot first, ask questions later", a la Murray. John Watson did the BTCC coverage for the BBC alongside cult hero Charlie Cox. James Aleen strikes me as quite dull. The knowledge and understanding is there, but not the real appreciation as to what the viewers at home make of it, and how to help viewers follow and appreciate a race. And as for his obsession with Montoya..... Apparently he has a wife and son (Enzo) so it's not THAT.
Old 15 Oct 2001, 19:24 (Ref:161036)   #15
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally posted by rdjones
Studio:- Tony Jardine, Mark Blundell, Johnny Herbert and Murray Walker
You forgot to replace Mark Blundell with Damon Hill.
Old 16 Oct 2001, 11:54 (Ref:161389)   #16
Alan Hyde
Rookie

Alan Hyde should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You're quite right!

Quote:
Originally posted by rdjones
............anyway how about this for the dream ITV-F1 Coverage
It certainly would be a dream for me! Thank you for letting me pop into your thoughts!
Old 16 Oct 2001, 12:12 (Ref:161396)   #17
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Sadly, I think Mark Blundell is **** in the commentary box. Ben Edwards would be good with Martin and I think one of the reasons he's not been too vocal on Eurosport this year was to keep himself free for the ITV job. Ben also has a good racing background as the Chief Instructor at the Brands Hatch Racing School. He's also driven in F Ford and Caterhams with some success. I think it's a shame he wasn't chosen over Tony Jardine, and I wish he would stop calling us "folks" all the time!
Old 16 Oct 2001, 12:51 (Ref:161407)   #18
Marshal
Veteran

Marshal should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMarshal should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Ben edwards should be the man, no doubt. Anyone got the adress of ITV sport so we can point out the error of their ways.

BTW, I think James reallyt adds something as a pit lane guy, but he's been promoted to a role beyond his ability.
Old 16 Oct 2001, 14:11 (Ref:161439)   #19
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Yes, I agree with you about James.

Try going to the ITV-F1 website, that should have a contact address.

Stephen
Old 16 Oct 2001, 14:20 (Ref:161445)   #20
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Martin Brundle and Ben Edwards - that would be ideal.
Old 16 Oct 2001, 18:42 (Ref:161556)   #21
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I thought I'd put up the link to the ITV site that confirms that ITV have chosen James Allen

http://www.itv-f1.com/itv_team/itvte...3?mediaid=7791

NNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!