Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 13 Dec 2004, 19:10 (Ref:1178554)   #1
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Alcohol Sponsoring Vs Tobacco Sponsoring...

With Mclaren and Williams both having alcohol sponsors... the EU have banned tobacco sponsors because of the effects mainly on young kids and f1 is a sport watched by people of all ages..... if this is the case then i am wondering if alcohol sponsors should be banned too...
Both a responsible for teenage deaths. Smoking has an effect on non-smokers as well... but in a way alcohol does too. Drunk driving by irresponsible teens is probably the cause of most traffic deaths...

In a way IF the tobacco sponsoring ban has been issued to reduce the influence of adverts on the decision of teens and kids to take up smoking.... shouldnt alcohol advertising be banned for this as well?

SO is tobacco sponsoring the same as alcohol sponsoring and should they be put in the same bracket... so if one gets banned so should the other?

Last edited by ralf fan; 13 Dec 2004 at 19:12. Reason: Spell error
Old 13 Dec 2004, 19:12 (Ref:1178558)   #2
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
There's only one European country which has banned alcohol sponsorship, as far as I know, and that's France.

Alchohol advertising is less of an issue for me, because the dangers of alcohol come from alcohol abuse, whereas the dangers of smoking come from using the product as it is intended to be used.
Old 13 Dec 2004, 19:14 (Ref:1178559)   #3
Ian Sowman
Veteran

Ian Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Likewise, cars are responsible for a number of deaths if misused. Perhaps we should prevent car manufacturers from sponsoring or branding cars.

Last edited by Ian Sowman; 13 Dec 2004 at 19:22.
Old 13 Dec 2004, 19:56 (Ref:1178591)   #4
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
and what about choking on tic-tacs?
Old 13 Dec 2004, 20:06 (Ref:1178603)   #5
Ian Sowman
Veteran

Ian Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Good point. And I'm sure over-consumption of Red Bull could do a lot of damage.
Old 13 Dec 2004, 20:09 (Ref:1178606)   #6
Rich R
Veteran

United Kingdom
dudley uk
Rich R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
and i'm still not convinced mobile phones don't fry your brains.
Old 13 Dec 2004, 20:14 (Ref:1178612)   #7
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Drinking Shell Optimum is probably not good for you either.
Old 13 Dec 2004, 20:26 (Ref:1178625)   #8
davebreen
Racer

Ireland
Dublin, Ireland
davebreen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Sowman
http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/index.php?newsid=5753

An interesting article on Red Bull being banned in France. The ban came about after a student in Ireland dropped dead after sharing 4 cans of it.

Quote:
Three years ago, Ross Cooney, 18, from Ireland, died after he shared four cans of Red Bull and played in a basketball match.

An inquest into his death ruled that he died from Sudden Adult Death Syndrome.

Lyndel Costain, a dietician, said: 'The problem with caffeine is that the effects can vary, so it is difficult to say what is a safe level. High levels of caffeine can be dangerous for people with high blood pressure or anxiety disorders. Not much is known about taurine and glucuronolactone, but high levels of them could affect the body.'
Old 13 Dec 2004, 20:33 (Ref:1178635)   #9
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It should be pointed out there is no conclusive link between Red Bull and any such health problems.
Old 13 Dec 2004, 20:53 (Ref:1178655)   #10
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Apart from the fact that too much caffine is bad for you.

(sorry for the use of the word fact)

Last edited by Adam43; 13 Dec 2004 at 20:54.
Old 13 Dec 2004, 20:56 (Ref:1178659)   #11
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I have no problem with alcohol advertising...
Old 13 Dec 2004, 23:09 (Ref:1178781)   #12
Dixie Flatline
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
Dixie Flatline should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In Victoria particularly, and probably around Australia, there has been a concerted effort from the State Government to stamp out drink-driving through a series of confrontational advertisements. The Government currently cops some flak for allowing tobacco sponsorship of the Australian Grand Prix, but I predict it would increase even more should it allow alcohol sponsorship of a motor race given that it's done everything it could do reduce drink-driving.

That being said, our one-day cricket tournaments are sponsored by a brand of beer, the Melbourne Cup used to be sponsored by a brand of beer, and so on and so forth, and we're used to seeing Fosters signs plastered all over the Grand Prix (particularly when it was in Adelaide) so I think most Australians would be pretty accepting of seeing increased alcohol sponsorship in the future.
Old 13 Dec 2004, 23:24 (Ref:1178789)   #13
nkh
Racer

Denmark
Copenhagen
nkh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamAshmore
Apart from the fact that too much caffine is bad for you.
And that's why RedBull is banned in Denmark too.
Old 13 Dec 2004, 23:49 (Ref:1178799)   #14
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Let's ban Red Bull Racing then...
Old 13 Dec 2004, 23:56 (Ref:1178804)   #15
Silk Cut Jaguar
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bath, UK
Silk Cut Jaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSilk Cut Jaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
People may not like DC but isn't banning Red Bull Racing a bit extreme?

I don't have a problem with alcohol advertising, afterall it's only the abuse of the product that causes health problems. No different to spray paint or glue. Once the social conscience brigade has decided drinking is wrong and evil we'll see the adverts dropped just like smoking.
Old 14 Dec 2004, 01:17 (Ref:1178840)   #16
Raglanparade
Veteran

Australia
Raglanparade should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Anyone ever tryed Red Bull mixed with Vodka ??

It actually makes for quite a potent little drink
Old 14 Dec 2004, 08:51 (Ref:1178967)   #17
Lotusonpole
Veteran

United Kingdom
NW England
Lotusonpole should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLotusonpole should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think Kicking Back said it.
Spot on for me.

Cheers...hic...it's your round.
Peter
Old 14 Dec 2004, 17:13 (Ref:1179307)   #18
Mackmot
Veteran

United Kingdom
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Mackmot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I dont think there should be a ban on any advertising. I think they should go back to the rules whereby you couldnt target your advertising at young persons.

Also the French are hypocrits. They ban alcohol advertising but not wine advertising.
Old 14 Dec 2004, 17:17 (Ref:1179310)   #19
Kicking-back
Veteran

Champagne advertising is certainly banned in France - hence the unlabelled bottles on the podium at Magny Cours!
Old 14 Dec 2004, 17:30 (Ref:1179322)   #20
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I don't know... In Canada the rate of alcoholism is 5% and with an average family size of 2.3 persons that means ~11.5% of the population have their lives drastically impacted. In eastern Europe and Russia it's substantially higher. While cigarettes effect a large number of people it will primarly kick in during their middle age or older and mostly effect the user. Alcoholism results in widespread domestic damage. Families have their relationships damaged, are limited in their socioeconomic status, domestic abuse and of course road accidents. Tobacco is akin to a riffle whereas Alcohol is the sawed off shot gun. I guess the biggest difference is that lots of people use alcohol in a safe responsible manner.
Old 14 Dec 2004, 17:37 (Ref:1179327)   #21
Alex Hodgkinson
Veteran

England
Derby
Alex Hodgkinson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So if Red Bull is banned in France, does this mean that the French won't allow Red Bull Racing to run under that name at Magny Cours..? They're definatly going to be quite anti!
Old 14 Dec 2004, 17:53 (Ref:1179340)   #22
Kicking-back
Veteran

Red Bull sponsorships have never been affected in the past Alex - Sauber have run it quite happilly.
Old 14 Dec 2004, 18:47 (Ref:1179375)   #23
Alex Hodgkinson
Veteran

England
Derby
Alex Hodgkinson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That is very very true kicking back, and somehow totally slipped my mind - oops!
Old 14 Dec 2004, 23:31 (Ref:1179613)   #24
zonda
Rookie

zonda should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think the major difference is that Alcohol only directly effects those who use it whilst Second Hand Smoke effects me and others who don't smoke. Whilst there is the argument that alcohol can be a contributing factor in family break ups and so forth, when taken in moderation it has very few side effects socially and health wise.

I know the alochol companies are starting campaigns so they don't end up being the next target once tobacco companies have been as good as shutdown. It will be interesting to see how many get involved in F1. A friend of mine who works for the company who owns Johnny seems to think they will take over several areas that tobacco were major sponsors in as they are one of the few industries left with money to burn so to speak.

Cheers,

dave
Old 14 Dec 2004, 23:47 (Ref:1179622)   #25
Mike_Wooshy
Veteran

England
Birmingham
Mike_Wooshy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMike_Wooshy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Sowman
some of my best nights have been on soley drinking Red Bull .... really i think everyone is OTT with this sponsoring. Anyway Ralf fan you cant say its all teenagers i know loads of grown up people who drink and drive .... most people can drive before they legally can drink (im one of them) ..... i think you will find the problem lies with alcoholics as a whole than Teenagers.