Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 15 Jun 2006, 10:19 (Ref:1634918)   #1
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Fisichella allegedly confirmed at Renault for '07

News on pitpass.com is reporting that Renault have issued a release confirming Fizzi for next year.

So the pressure will now be on to confirm who the other driver will be

As he's already mentioned himself surely it's going to be a Finn, but which one.

I read somewhere that Heikki signed a deal to race next year at the end of last year, but this might have been before Alonso elected to vacate Enstone. If this is true then it will be him and the strong rumour about Kimi being 'loaned' may stay as just that, a rumour.

If Kimi does end up at Renault where will that leave Heikki whom Flavio lauded as his new Fernando??
Old 15 Jun 2006, 10:30 (Ref:1634923)   #2
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
It'll be a travesty for Fisi to get a drive and JV not to, imo.

Selby
Old 15 Jun 2006, 11:16 (Ref:1634945)   #3
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
He deserves it. He has had some bad luck and can seem disillusioned at times. I also think that the operative word in the the Statement is Flavio Flave's use of the word "continuity".

TI think this means that that Kovelainen is the likely choice for the second Renault seat.
Old 15 Jun 2006, 11:45 (Ref:1634974)   #4
goodhorsehymn
Racer

goodhorsehymn should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm guessing Renault kept him for the sake of continuity. He's disappointed me in his time with Renault. If Alonso was staying next year, I reckon they'd push Fisi on his way. But in the current situation, they really could do with keeping a current driver.

Next year is his last chance then - team leader in a championship winning car. If his Finnish team mate (whoever it may be) beats him, that'll probably signal the end of his career. Hopefully they won't though. Perhaps Giancarlo can finally live up to his hype and reel off a whole series of wins.
Old 15 Jun 2006, 11:48 (Ref:1634979)   #5
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Link.http://www.crash.net/news_view~t~Off...~id~132056.htm.And so it begins.........
Old 15 Jun 2006, 12:02 (Ref:1634987)   #6
sonic
Veteran

sonic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
fisi said the other day that he would be partnered by a Fin in 2007, but he didn't know if that was kimi or heikki.

if koveleinen doesnt race for Renault I wonder who he would drive for? He has to race in 07 to avoid Davidson syndrome.

renault say they want to supply motors to a second team, but who? Midland, red bull or toro rosso are the only available ones.
Old 15 Jun 2006, 12:40 (Ref:1635024)   #7
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!
Yup. It looks like Giancarlo gets one last chance to be WDC
Old 15 Jun 2006, 13:20 (Ref:1635038)   #8
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
It's very strange and probably difficult for Flavio. If they do opt for Fisi and Heikki, then there is less chance of him being able to deliver the results that the big cheeses at Renault want.

But if they go for Kimi and Fisi, then Flavio's boy gets left out in the cold.
Old 15 Jun 2006, 13:33 (Ref:1635044)   #9
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Strange when you think about it.

Tell you what though if Fizzi all of a sudden starts delivering consistently, we'll all then know what's been happening these last 2 years....

But i think he's really being kept on as a second driver as opposed to team leader (after the contract's only for one year at this stage)

Assuming Heikki does get the other drive he's got a year to get used to it all with Fizzi playing the holding role if you like, before being propelled to number one man in 2008...
Old 15 Jun 2006, 14:01 (Ref:1635063)   #10
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer

Tell you what though if Fizzi all of a sudden starts delivering consistently, we'll all then know what's been happening these last 2 years....
Good point.

Selby
Old 15 Jun 2006, 14:04 (Ref:1635065)   #11
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inigo Montoya
Yup. It looks like Giancarlo gets one last chance to be WDC

It's either going to go one of two ways. Fisi as a championship contender, or Renault in for a very poor season
Old 15 Jun 2006, 14:11 (Ref:1635073)   #12
marzF1rocks
Racer

England
Derbyshire
marzF1rocks has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I reckon fissi still has something in him. Maybe not the championship. But i top 4 contender
Old 15 Jun 2006, 14:38 (Ref:1635096)   #13
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bing less optimistic, I reckon Renault could have decided to keep the 1st-and-2nd-driver phylosophy, like at Ferrari.

In this case there is no clue in hiring a new 2nd driver when already having Fisi
Old 15 Jun 2006, 14:47 (Ref:1635105)   #14
Blaf
Rookie

Blaf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
IMO, that means Raikkonen won't be with Renault next year. I could not understand Briatore keeping Fisichella otherwise.
Old 15 Jun 2006, 14:51 (Ref:1635113)   #15
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
If they want a Finn then why not Web Markinnan?

Quote:
Originally Posted by climb
Bing less optimistic, I reckon Renault could have decided to keep the 1st-and-2nd-driver phylosophy, like at Ferrari.

In this case there is no clue in hiring a new 2nd driver when already having Fisi
Obviously they need a Lead driver! Or was that the joke?
Old 15 Jun 2006, 14:53 (Ref:1635117)   #16
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
Well, the "continuity" aspect was always the one potential saving grace for Fisi. I am still a bit surprised, though, as he really has been a bit rubbish. Still, fair play, he is doing something good enough, obviously, so, well, good luck to him.

I found one part of Giancarlo's comments in that crash.net link martyn provided particularly interesting:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GF in martyn's link
This clear vision for the future means I can focus 100 per cent on the job at hand: retaining the constructors' championship with Renault in 2006 and finishing as high as possible in the drivers' standings.
To me, that says he views himself as a No. 2.

His primary aim is to help secure the WCC, and the by-product of that is however far he happens to finish in the WDC. He doesn't say it allows him to focus on winning the WDC, but just finish "as high as possible". There is a disparity between this and the very clear other purpose of finishing first in the WCC. He doesn't talk in terms of helping the team finish "as high as possible" in that particular race.

Interesting, I thought.

Last edited by Dutton; 15 Jun 2006 at 14:57.
Old 15 Jun 2006, 15:02 (Ref:1635127)   #17
OZ_HCR32
Veteran

OZ_HCR32 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridOZ_HCR32 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Or he concedes for this year Alonso has too big a jump and isnt likely to be tossing points away, if anything Fisi will be the Renault driver moving over for Alonso if Ferrari grab a few results over the next few races
Old 15 Jun 2006, 15:15 (Ref:1635134)   #18
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Then you'd have to ask. Why has Alonso got that much of a lead?

The Lotus 79 came up in another thread. In that season (1978) the second driver, (the late Ronnie Petersen) was second to Andretti with two wins but loads of podiums (podia?). That was a year where the winning car was the dominant car.

You then look at Fisi in a Renault a dominant car and............. well second in any championship would be a bonus, but for who?
Old 15 Jun 2006, 15:20 (Ref:1635137)   #19
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Whilst not surprising news (it had been mooted for a long time) I can't help feeling that Renault could have risked another new driver to go alongside Kovaleinen/Kimi next season.

Maybe Fisi will pull something out the bag, but I doubt it.
Old 15 Jun 2006, 15:45 (Ref:1635166)   #20
Halsey
Racer

Brazil
Tasmania
Halsey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The last two headlines have certainly put an end to speculation over Webber's possible move to Renault next year... I think

I have to say I'm disappointed with the decision, given that Fisi more or less put his lack of performance down to the car not suiting his style, and to a degree favouritism. This year he's said that the car suits his driving style a lot more, but has to date been outperformed once again by Alonso. Still, it might be interesting to see how well he performs when Alonso isn't at the team.
Old 15 Jun 2006, 20:01 (Ref:1635440)   #21
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
No championships for Renault next year then....
Old 15 Jun 2006, 20:05 (Ref:1635444)   #22
sonic
Veteran

sonic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralf fan
unless kimi goes there
Old 15 Jun 2006, 20:59 (Ref:1635484)   #23
VilleneuveTracy
Veteran

United States
New Jersey
VilleneuveTracy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridVilleneuveTracy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralf fan
I agree, assuming Heikki gets the second seat. A lineup of a rookie and "The Fizz" is tantamount to surrendering in the 07' WDC and WCC battles before 2007 even begins...maybe they can still salvage third in the WCC next year...

With Renault presumably out of the 2007 WCC and WDC chase and McLaren in the doldrums you-know-who is looking very good for 2007.
Old 15 Jun 2006, 21:09 (Ref:1635488)   #24
kipper
Veteran

England
Leics
kipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridkipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I wouldn't be surprised if Fisichella's signing may indicate that Raikkonen will move to Renault. If Heikki Kovaleinen had already signed a race contract, which has been suggested then I would have thought that a formal announcement might have been made along with news of Fisichella's signing. Also Renault have said that Fisichella will provide continuity and whilst Kovaleinen has no race experience, his testing exploits would mean that he knows how the team works and could be said to provide some continuity.
Old 15 Jun 2006, 21:11 (Ref:1635489)   #25
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
It could be that Heikki is so good that he will be able to get the (winning) job done, despite being a rookie?

The ultra-mega-fill-your-pants talents are good enough to do that.