Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 15 Sep 2004, 08:33 (Ref:1097024)   #26
Mando
Rookie

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Mando should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I wouldn't doubt the seriousness of Ferrari when they threaten to quit.

Mercedes was a huge force in GP racing until that horrific crash at Le Mans, and they pulled out of racing for years. So it's happened before.

Anyway, ever heard the phrase "quit when you're ahead"?
Old 15 Sep 2004, 10:01 (Ref:1097080)   #27
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The thing is Ferrari have threatened to quit so many times over the years in order to get what they want...
Old 15 Sep 2004, 10:08 (Ref:1097089)   #28
Nicholas
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nicholas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Dutton
However, Ferrari need F1 just as much (quite arguably more so).
My thoughts exactly...
Classic Eddie Irvine moments, #1
Interviewer: "Why has Schumacher got an odd shaped helmet?" Eddie: "Because he's German, he's got an odd shaped head"
Old 15 Sep 2004, 11:03 (Ref:1097129)   #29
garcon
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Re: Let them go...

Quote:
Originally posted by Tye
Yet another threat from a famous racing team. If they want to leave, let them.

It would clearly be a dark spot for Formula 1, however no race team is larger than the sport. It's as simple as that.

It surely won't be the last team to utter hollow threats.

Tye
This is just part of the phoney war between the manufacturers and Bernie, and as such hardly merits two pages of posts.

But I thought I ought to mark a significant occasion. Probably for the first time ever, I entirely agree with everything Tye says!
Old 15 Sep 2004, 23:28 (Ref:1097767)   #30
Harves
Racer

Tonga
Melbourne
Harves should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Did anyone hear that Marlboro want to become the only sponsor on the Ferrari and paint the car all red, I cant find where I read it. It also had a figure attached to it?
Old 16 Sep 2004, 01:38 (Ref:1097802)   #31
avsfan733
Veteran

avsfan733 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: Ferrari make F1 Quit Threat

Quote:
Originally posted by E. Becclestone
Sweet user name

Harves I remember reading that somewhere...somethign about once it becomes illegal to advertise tobacco that they want just the marolboro red car to make everyone know who sponsors it without actually putting it on the car
Old 16 Sep 2004, 01:46 (Ref:1097807)   #32
Harves
Racer

Tonga
Melbourne
Harves should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Do you remember the figure?
Old 16 Sep 2004, 05:43 (Ref:1097868)   #33
Lotusonpole
Veteran

United Kingdom
NW England
Lotusonpole should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLotusonpole should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It would be sad to see Ferrari pack it in.
But if they do, F1 would carry on.
Many people said the same when Tyyrell and Lotus went, but F1 continued.

The sport is bigger than any one team...or should be...even if it is a F1 icon like Ferrari.

But I doubt they'll quit.
Do they want more revenue as the dominance they currently enjoy is directly related to the amount they spend? Therefore are they the biggest spenders in F1?

Cheers
Peter
Old 17 Sep 2004, 03:49 (Ref:1098907)   #34
avsfan733
Veteran

avsfan733 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't remember the figure but it was at least 100 million...something in that order of digits i just can't remember (or find) the exact amount
Old 17 Sep 2004, 04:11 (Ref:1098909)   #35
F40_LM
Rookie

F40_LM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Dick Spanner
I believe I'm right in thinking that Ferrari currently get more of the existing pot than any of the other teams currently just for being Ferrari. The only way Bernie will lose is if all the teams stop crying wolf and actually create a new racing series like they keep threatening to. I suspect though that if they went ahead with it, Bernie would throw a huge wad of cash at Ferrari and destabilise the whole thing. As for Ferrari quitting, where else are they going to go?
yup, Bernie knows it's all useless unless they actually went ahead with their own series....maybe Ferrari can go into WRC? and maybe we can actually see them beaten by Subaru...
Old 18 Sep 2004, 10:07 (Ref:1100032)   #36
pole2pole
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Belfast
pole2pole should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ferrari is a business and someone has to look after it. Ok Ferrari threat to quit we have heard that before but this time is different. Like all sports money plays a big part and in F1 money rules the sport. Is there a limit where teams stop and take stock and say something has to change. I think F1 got its first warning sign with Ford pulling out. With the size of that company it really makes you think where F1 is going
Old 18 Sep 2004, 11:06 (Ref:1100056)   #37
muzza4ever
Racer

England
Grim up North, UK
muzza4ever should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The problem with dishing more money out to the teams if it's not in amounts that try to introduce more parity between the privateers and the works teams is that the big teams just spend the sums on further r&d, well unless you're Maclaren and you build works or art for HQs etc. Giving them more money allows to further widen the gap.

I'll make the suggestion although I could never see it being agreed to by the teams that perhaps what we should see is something similar in concept to the current rule that allows teams that finish below a certain point in the championship to run a third driver but with money.

So you finish in the last 2 spots you get a wad of cash over and above what everyone else gets allowing you to spend more on R&D and move up the grid. Then when you are there you're more able to gain extra sponsorship through your improved position, thereby not needing the cash.

The third driver rule has undoubtedly helped BAR to finish where they are this season. The question is could Minardi and Jordan actually do something with that extra cash if they got it. I know Stoddart said he could challenge for wins if he had a $100 million budget, but could he really?

Its a hard one to call in reflection though - it is a competition after all where you do the best with what you have. If the smaller teams can't compete maybe they shouldn't be bandaged together with handouts from Bernie or the sport in general.

What will be interesting is to see what happens to sponsorship after the self-imposed tobacco ban comes in.
Old 18 Sep 2004, 20:06 (Ref:1100327)   #38
djinvicta
Veteran

Wales
Mojacar Southern Spain
djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!
As a business, you have to profit to survive in the long run. The situation with Fiat is dire at the moment and I cant see how they can still throw heavy money at Ferrari. Muzza4ever has raised some good points here; I would like to see points awarded for qualifying positions, with everyone blitzing the laps to get points for the Championship. The sport should not be held to ransom by Ferrari quit threat. In all the topics and threads here, it goes to show the concern we all have over the sport. Lets just hope the team bosses are not just milking it for their own pockets, but for the love of the sport. Not sure which?