Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 18 Jun 2001, 21:12 (Ref:106615)   #1
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Mondello Moments

Been a few races since I posted you of these, so figured it was about time I did it again. Team Redshoes - that's me, Lorna, Woody and Schoey - spent a very enjoyable long weekend in the Emerald Isle. So where to start about our voyage into the unknown....

Never saw Mondello before the rebuild so it's difficult to give a comparison but you can easily see where the money has been spent. Sure, there's plenty of work to be done and no doubt there will be complaints that the pit garages were still a building site on Thurs and the media centre was a bare shell before Fri, and it will be interesting to see what the reaction in the regular media is. All in all it's a pretty impressice place, or rather it will be impressive when it's finished. Much the same was said about Rockingham recently, and that was generally well received by the press.

The circuit itself is rather like an oversized kart track, it just didn't seem possible to get so much tarmac in such small an area. For the drivers it's all brake-accelerate-brake, up and down the gears. Very hard on brakes and gearboxes.

After a damp Friday night under canvas it was wierd to wake up in a strange place but as soon as we heard Alan Hyde's cheery tones on the PA we knew we would be right at home. Good too to see the normal array of friendly faces, especialy Paul who had no idea we were going to be there

Saturday's Free Practice was interesting watching different drivers trying different lines around the corners. Peugeot had another bad day with Eaves not even starting the first session and Soper on managing a handfull of laps. Despite the extra weight it was Vauxhall all the way. Much the same story in qualifying, another 1-2-3-4 for Vauxhall.

In Production qualifying it looked like anothe dominant performance from Harrison, who was the only driver to get under 1m 53s. Just to rub it in he went out with a few minutes to go and set an even faster time. With the session over HTML were getting ready to celebrate a 1-2 (Moen was 2nd) when Simon Graves pulled one out of the bag. Graves had been in to change tyres late on and just managed to start a final flying lap before the flag fell, going on to shave another 0.2s of Harrisons's time. Moen would eventually be demoted to the back after a engine change.

The sprint race produced somewhat less contact then predicted. The first corner after the start is a hairpin, followed by a bumpy 90deg left hander, which had all the makings of a major coming together, but thankfully that never happened. Gareth Howell did well to take an early lead after Graves clashed with Mat Jackson but dropped back to finish second (5th on the road) behind James Kaye. Harrison was unable to maintain his qualifying pace and fell back to 5th. Moen drove a stormer from the back of the grid to finish 4th. A certain Vauxhall 1-2-3-4 was lost when both Plato and Bennett had to pit late in the race with punctures, handing Steve Soper a first podium for Peugeot.

In the Feature, Muller lead away for an easy victory. Bennett and Luby clashed on the first lap - Bennett continued but Luby limped back to the pits to retire. Peugeot reverted to form with mechanical problems stopping both cars. Production saw Graves take the lead but eventually fall back and retire, handing victory to teammate James Kaye. Moen made another storming run from the back to get into the top 3 but suddenly fell away with a handful of laps to go to promote Paul O'Neil to second. Cue more heartstopping moments of "don't crash it now" and more tears at the podium, Lorna this time, not Paul

To sum it up, a great time was had by all and met some of the most freindliest people you could wish for.

P.S. A few snippets of off-the-record gossip to keep you thinking.... one Production driver threatening to physically assault another if they rub panels again, and possible budget problems for one of the Production front runners. No names you understand.
Old 19 Jun 2001, 18:28 (Ref:106953)   #2
hunttheshunt
Veteran

hunttheshunt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Collard and Boardman? threataning each other?

Gavin Pyper w/financial difficulties? Or one of the GR Focus'.

These are only guesses! Give us a clue, red!

Anyway, still think the Pugs are struggling-still way off the lead heavy Astras! Hopefully they'll begin to make proper progress soon!
Old 19 Jun 2001, 19:16 (Ref:106988)   #3
Minardi fan
Veteran

England
Llamaville, Kent
Minardi fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's got to be Boardman on the receiving end of threats. Perhaps they should take note though - if someone tries anything with Boardman, they'll have the might of the B&Qsi to answer to... GO TOM!!!

Last edited by Minardi fan; 19 Jun 2001 at 19:16.
Old 19 Jun 2001, 19:51 (Ref:107007)   #4
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally posted by hunttheshunt
Collard and Boardman? threataning each other?
Gavin Pyper w/financial difficulties? Or one of the GR Focus'.
You may think that, I couldn't possibily comment

As always I've just remembered a few more things that I missed first time around...

Radio TOCA's entire output for the weekend seemed to consist of "The Best Irish Album in the World... Ever" played on continous repeat - Coors, B*Witched, U2 Thin Lizzy Cranberries, Boomtown Rats etc. Kept expecting Dana and Westlife to make an appearance.

Don't know who the second commentator was - Matt (Finney??) - but he needs to come over to the UK very very soon. He was an absolute hoot.

Guest support races weren't that bad either. Formula Ford grids were a bit small, RT2000 were everything Eurocars should be, and best of all was the Historic race which turned out to be classic saloons and sports - Lotus Cortinas, Minis, Sunbeam Tigers and the evilest handling Ford Anglia you've ever seen
Old 19 Jun 2001, 22:04 (Ref:107096)   #5
hunttheshunt
Veteran

Well red are you going to post this 'news' on yout site and newsletter at the end of the week? I'm dying to know, now! I hope its not one of the focus and definately not Gavin Pyper-he's a star!
Old 20 Jun 2001, 15:29 (Ref:107432)   #6
Alan Hyde
Rookie

Alan Hyde should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Music!

I have to say how mega it was for me personally at the weekend to be able to visit Dublin, AND play Thin Lizzy on the airwaves!

Lizzy's main man was Philip Lynott, for those that are luckily much younger than me and therefore don't know, his hometown was Dublin. He was my teenage idol - I have a prized autographed book of his poetry - and I have never been able to visit Ireland before last weekend.

I was hoping to be able to schedule in a visit to pay my respects to him, but sadly, plane timetables didn't allow it.

I have to say for me personally, it was a really throat lumping moment to be playing a couple of Lizzy tracks on the air so close to Dublin, and to hear them coming over Mondello's super PA system was something else!

Philip made a huge impression on my life, and I felt privileged to have been so close to the town that was so often such a major part of his music.

Call me an old sentimental, but it was really special for me!
Old 20 Jun 2001, 17:44 (Ref:107481)   #7
WoodyTJ
Veteran

WoodyTJ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm speechless for a change. Wonderful weekend. How on earth did you remember all of that Redshoes?

When can we go back again?
Old 20 Jun 2001, 17:51 (Ref:107485)   #8
redshoes
Veteran

Steady on there Al, not need to get all emmotional on us.

You've reminded me of something else - the PA system got lost a little over the Tourers but was actually far better than we've come to expect. Oulton Park please take note.
Old 20 Jun 2001, 17:51 (Ref:107486)   #9
WoodyTJ
Veteran

WoodyTJ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Also thanks to Spoonerboro's Paul O'Neil's interview question (and say hello to the guys).... we all heard it over the PA and it made it us smile! Thanks
Old 20 Jun 2001, 22:41 (Ref:107608)   #10
outcast
Rookie

outcast should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: Mondello Moments

Quote:
Originally posted by redshoes
P.S. A few snippets of off-the-record gossip to keep you thinking.... one Production driver threatening to physically assault another if they rub panels again, and possible budget problems for one of the Production front runners. No names you understand.
Rumour has it that GR Motorsport are under pressure from sponsors to deliver their first race win sooner rather than later, with the said sponsor expecting to have had more for their money. GR involved with the second point, as well, with a confrontation between Jackson and Graves looking looming after the two came together in both races in Ireland. Only speculating you understand, couldn't be sure about any of this at all!
Old 20 Jun 2001, 22:54 (Ref:107618)   #11
Lorna
Veteran

Lorna should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by WoodyTJ
Also thanks to Spoonerboro's Paul O'Neil's interview question (and say hello to the guys).... we all heard it over the PA and it made it us smile! Thanks
I didn't hear it! Al, send a copy of it in the post!

I was really impressed with the PA system as well. Superb weekend, and yes, Matt has to come over to England to PA. A very entertaining guy. What was he like to work with Al? And what was his last name?

Redshoes - before I forget. I have your program. - And one for Mr Still if he happens to look in here.

Last edited by Lorna; 20 Jun 2001 at 22:55.
Old 21 Jun 2001, 17:09 (Ref:107957)   #12
hunttheshunt
Veteran

Seems pretty confident speculation, outcast!
Old 27 Jun 2001, 17:50 (Ref:110373)   #13
BTC-P fan
Rookie

BTC-P fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: Re: Mondello Moments

Quote:
Originally posted by outcast

Rumour has it that GR Motorsport are under pressure from sponsors to deliver their first race win sooner rather than later, with the said sponsor expecting to have had more for their money. GR involved with the second point, as well, with a confrontation between Jackson and Graves looking looming after the two came together in both races in Ireland. Only speculating you understand, couldn't be sure about any of this at all!
Not sure which sponsor you mean but I can discount all of Gareth's from that. All of his sponsors are satisfied the performances so far. Yes, a couple of wins would be nice, but there is still a long way to go. The realists understand that it is about the whole season and people are starting to fall by the wayside already. At this stage I think that we can see that the Championship is down to perhaps the top six, although no doubt others will play an important part in the outcome. Teams have started to miss tests because they are worried about the engines. GR have only lost 1 engine all season between 4 cars and once past 5 seal breaks you lose 15 points each time. Anyone know how many Kaye, Harrison and Moen have used so far?
I will however substantiate the bad feeling between Mat and Graves. Not a happy bunny was Mr. Jackson.