Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Road Car Forums > Road Car Forum

Old 10 Feb 2006, 17:34 (Ref:1519805)   #1
Draven
Racer

Ireland
Ireland
Draven should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Mercedes SL a living legend

Somthing occured to me when I was asked what I'd buy If I had to have a realistic road car and money wasnt an issue.
Instantly I said SL55 Amg. (I'd have though I'd say Mclaren F1 or a Lamborghini)

But I have realised that I think the SL range is possibly the most beautiful car range still on the go. Only other one that I can think of that comes close is the 911.

To clarify what I mean, every version of SL has had somthing to it, ok some more than others but a fantastic start and a fantastic car today.

I know it's just a badge, and a car company can plonk an old model name on what is just a new car, but the SL has always stood out for me.

Ok I've just read over what I've typed and it's a bit all over the place, so I'll turn it into a question, Can you think of a car that has a more beautiful history and present than the SL?
Old 15 Feb 2006, 21:14 (Ref:1523778)   #2
Sharky
Veteran

Sharky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSharky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSharky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Of course! The Mercedes 300SL....oh wait, it's an SL.

Seriously though, I've never been a huge fan of convertibles (actually, I've never seen the point in them) so that would deduct some points from my appreciation of the current SL. As for the design, it's OK but I've never seen it as groundbraking or gorgeous design (except for the old 300SL).

I could think of a few italian cars that could easily beat them in the beauty department, the Jaguar E type.....even some "popular" french cars.

of course, as always, beauty is on the eye of the beholder. I also had a friend who was mad about SLs.