Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racing Technology

Old 12 Jul 2005, 08:40 (Ref:1353305)   #26
ActiveMS
Racer

ActiveMS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Personally, if I had a HANS system I would still wear it on a track day.
One gentleman at Goodwood a few weeks back was unfortunately killed whilst driving a race prep'd ferrari 360 and also seriously injured the race instructor sitting next to him.

Nasty things can still happen on trackdays.
Old 12 Jul 2005, 08:49 (Ref:1353308)   #27
maddogf3
Racer

England
maddogf3 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
"Come on" boys lets not let this thread turn into psychiatrists weekly . I am sure that we all have the same instincts in us . that is to take mind and body to the edge without ultimatly damaging it . In the process of doing that then the unfortunate can happen any damage limitation procedure is then welcomed . It wont stop us doing it ever , it might change the recreation that we are doing ,but we will all. I'm sure take it to limit ! Be it ,Track days,Karting,cycling,motorcycling ,windsurfing,sailing,running, rock climbing ,even chess.
Personaly speaking I have done a few Vintage car rallies and the minute I get in I feel very uncomfortable not being strapped in . a mile down the road I've forgotten about it . Yet the Brakes on those old sheds are diabolical and the handling, tyres the same as for crumple zones !!!! I bet the odds for hurting yourself in one of these is far greater than traveling at race speeds around a track . With or without Hans device .
Old 12 Jul 2005, 10:29 (Ref:1353387)   #28
dtype38
Race Official
Veteran

England
East London
dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!
Here's a sobering thougth: my wife is quite happy with me going motor racing, although she has little interest herself, and is also happy for me to decide the level of safety equipement I use. Her only stipulation is that I'm not allowed to be critically injured or permanently disabled as she wouldn't be able to cope with that, her job, and the kids. She say that I have to come home in good working order or dead.

Maybe I need to invent a safety harness, roll cage, HANS teathers etc which give way only when the g force is sufficient to guarantee I won't survive
Old 12 Jul 2005, 10:33 (Ref:1353389)   #29
StephenRae
Veteran

Wales
North West
StephenRae should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
We all have our own level of perceived safety...I used to race FF when the roll hoops were minimal, didn't give it a thought...it now makes me shudder to see 'classics' racing they look so vulnerable!
Old 12 Jul 2005, 11:47 (Ref:1353432)   #30
greenamex2
Veteran

England
Hertfordshire
greenamex2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I am still amazed how many race cars don't have plumbed in extinguishers!!! I believe they are mandatory next year.

Likewise I only have a small hand held extinguisher in my kit car for track days and only have that because it is a kit car and therefor more likely to go up in flames due to dodgy wiring than anything else!

Having heard some of the details of the recent track day incidents perhaps track days need some form of grading system. 1=Out to enjoy yourself and drive the car too/from the circuit, 10=Race anything that moves, have a secreted lap timing system and trailer the car because it isn't even close to road legal.

I know that their shouldn't be any number 10's but I have seen and heard of behaviour that wouldn't even be tolerated in a oval circuit!

Hopefully if anything positive can come out of the recent two deaths then it will be the insurance companies forcing the track day companies to police days better.
Old 12 Jul 2005, 12:10 (Ref:1353449)   #31
maddogf3
Racer

England
maddogf3 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtype38
Here's a sobering thougth: my wife is quite happy with me going motor racing, although she has little interest herself, and is also happy for me to decide the level of safety equipement I use. Her only stipulation is that I'm not allowed to be critically injured or permanently disabled as she wouldn't be able to cope with that, her job, and the kids. She say that I have to come home in good working order or dead.

Maybe I need to invent a safety harness, roll cage, HANS teathers etc which give way only when the g force is sufficient to guarantee I won't survive
SURPERB !!!! Love your thinking .I wonder what insurance companies would thin of that one -- which is cheaper "DEAD or Disabled " UMMMMM Perhaps dead is best ?
Old 14 Jul 2005, 17:40 (Ref:1355584)   #32
R59
Veteran

Heard and McDonald Islands
Bedfordshire
R59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Denis,

You summed up my thoughts about certain people who do track days in one of your sentences... "drive like a pratt".

There are far too many people who think that they are driving "like a real racing driver" when in fact, they are bl00dy dangerous. I have had plenty of people like that beside me while instructing. Some listen to instruction, some are beyond it, and to be honest, should not be allowed to drive on the public highway as they have no perception of safe speed, distances, vehicle capabilites, etc....

There are also those who have their shiny GT3 Porsche, and are happy to drive faster than they could on the road, but nowhere near the car's capabilities (or their own even!). These are the "safe" trackdayites. They also tend to be good pupils, and can be tought to go quite quickly without too much effort.

Regardless of all of that, I agree with dtype, and others, if you own a Hans, wear it, just as you would your top knotch crash hat, and your impervious to everything FIA suit. You've paid for it for a reason, so you may as well use it.

Rob.
Old 15 Jul 2005, 07:04 (Ref:1355979)   #33
greenamex2
Veteran

England
Hertfordshire
greenamex2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
racing59 - When the kit is back up and running with it's stupid new engine I must get you along to a track day. Even if it is just for a bit of tuition.

Out of interest I do track days with a bunch of GT3RS drivers. Generally good blokes who drive well within their own and their cars limits.

None of them know one end of a spanner from the other though!!!
Old 6 Jul 2006, 22:40 (Ref:1649941)   #34
JimW
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcestershire, UK
JimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by maddogf3
SURPERB !!!! Love your thinking .I wonder what insurance companies would think of that one -- which is cheaper "DEAD or Disabled " UMMMMM Perhaps dead is best ?
Well known fact: dead is much cheaper.

Jim
Old 11 Jul 2006, 01:51 (Ref:1653076)   #35
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by racing59
Since there's this new lack of interest in safety, I feel that at track days I shall refrain from wearing a helmet, belts, and while refuelling with my two gallon can of National Benzol, I shall partake of a Craven A.......
I filled up a hire car in Italy this morning, it was only afterwards I noticed the attendant had a lit fag dangling from his lips, it looked so natural I almost missed it. Why do I feel so 'at home' in Italy?

Tags
hans