Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Hillclimb and Sprint

View Poll Results: If the BHC were to change the rounds and scoring system, which would you prefer?
No Change - There is no better alternative. 6 27.27%
Same amount of Rounds with Fewer Dropped Scores 0 0%
Same amount of Rounds But Every Round Counts 4 18.18%
Fewer Rounds, Retain the Current Drop Score System 1 4.55%
Fewer Rounds with Fewer Dropped Scores 4 18.18%
Fewer Rounds But Every Round Counts. 4 18.18%
A much more radical redesign of the championship is needed. 3 13.64%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Old 25 Aug 2006, 12:24 (Ref:1691413)   #26
b1ackcr0w
Veteran

b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!
Oh, by the way...

Given the contentious nature of the poll, I'd like to reassure everybody that votes in the poll, that the actual votes are anonymous. Not even Chris or I can see who voted for what, and it shall remain that way. The only public indication of your opinion is that expressed in the thread discussion.
Old 25 Aug 2006, 12:27 (Ref:1691414)   #27
b1ackcr0w
Veteran

b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Baiter
Also the score is 18 wins to 6.
A strong Point, well made. The fact that the rule encourages front runners to go for wins and higher placings was a subtlety I hadn't appreciated.
Old 25 Aug 2006, 13:03 (Ref:1691440)   #28
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Pretty much what Scott was saying in that he should have tried harder earlier. I'm going to make a mess of the explanation, but here goes. You still drop scores, but if you're dropping a 10, then it's a win someone else hasn't got. The end result is the championship goes to the person with the greatest number of top placings, and that will continue down the numbers too - you're unlikely to get no2 if you haven't managed a reasonable number of 9 pointers.

To my mind this makes the 'numbers chase' more valuable. No 10 is most likely to be someone who's managed to qualify regularly, rather than someone who got a lucky weather assisted win but only qualified for the top 12 once.
Old 26 Aug 2006, 16:39 (Ref:1692894)   #29
lifeof
Rookie

lifeof should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Surely if one is dropping a 10 then the other 28 scoring rounds must 10 or 11, or am I getting more confused than usual ?
Old 26 Aug 2006, 18:14 (Ref:1692954)   #30
Steve Wilkinson
Veteran

United Kingdom
Southport
Steve Wilkinson is a back marker
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeof
Surely if one is dropping a 10 then the other 28 scoring rounds must 10 or 11, or am I getting more confused than usual ?
No confusion there mate!

In fact if your worst score was a ten you would only drop it if you managed to win the run-off and break the hill record in the process!

Old 26 Aug 2006, 18:19 (Ref:1692959)   #31
hillsprint77
Rookie

Northern Ireland
Across the Sheugh
hillsprint77 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No Steve, you just have to win 29 rounds !!!

Michael Beattie
Old 30 Aug 2006, 10:56 (Ref:1697472)   #32
Steve Wilkinson
Veteran

United Kingdom
Southport
Spot on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillsprint77
No Steve, you just have to win 29 rounds !!!
Correcto mundo! So in that case a dropped score would be somewhat irrelevant!
Old 18 Sep 2006, 15:13 (Ref:1712970)   #33
Moose Baiter
Rookie

United Kingdom
Moose Baiter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As usual the dpropped scores did not change anything.
total pts scored excluding dropped scores 1) M.Groves 296 S.Moran 286 R. Moran 225 4) S.Durling 193 5) M.Dean 184 6) P.Ranson 148 7) C.Merrick 129.

Same finishing order when Dropped scores taken into account. So what is all the fuss about?

Wins M. Groves 21
S .Moran 9
R. Moran 2
S. Durling 2

FTDS M .Groves 12
S .Moran 4
R. .Moran 1

All unofficial.
Old 18 Sep 2006, 15:44 (Ref:1712981)   #34
b1ackcr0w
Veteran

It's not fuss, it's a free and frank discussion.
Old 19 Sep 2006, 11:20 (Ref:1713639)   #35
Steve Wilkinson
Veteran

United Kingdom
Southport
Quote:
Originally Posted by b1ackcr0w
Who's this Frank?

Old 19 Sep 2006, 12:34 (Ref:1713739)   #36
Paul Ranson
Racer

Paul Ranson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
The thread started with
Quote:
...his response to being disadvantaged in the championship due to dropped scores...
which was a false premise.

I think there's a good argument for all rounds to count but with more points for high placings than at present. But the outcome of this years's championship would remain the same under any reasonable scoring system.

Paul
Old 19 Sep 2006, 13:13 (Ref:1713784)   #37
b1ackcr0w
Veteran

Absolutely, I do hope that I never become arrogant enough to believe that I either know or understand everything, or ignorant enough not to listen to the opinion and experience of others. This thread being a case in point that through the process of discussion, I've improved my understanding and modified my opinion on an issue at the heart of our sport.

Indeed, I now question the wisdom of changing a points structure that does seem to be encouraging leading drivers to go for wins throughout the season, where other championships suffer from drivers playing the percentage, and coasting to the end of the season.
Old 19 Sep 2006, 21:40 (Ref:1714156)   #38
blackx
Veteran

England
blackx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Ranson

I think there's a good argument for all rounds to count but with more points for high placings than at present.

Paul

I spoke at great length with Martin at the last Prescott meeting about this and I must say I agree with his reasoning...
More points for a win with a bigger difference between first and second place,second and third etc etc would as has been said encourage drivers to go for a win as opposed to playing the percentage.
But as you say either way this years results would have been the same.....But boy what a year its been......
Some really good racing this year that looks set to continue next year no matter what scoring system is in place...
Old 20 Sep 2006, 07:55 (Ref:1714380)   #39
Steve Wilkinson
Veteran

United Kingdom
Southport
Early Bath?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Ranson
I think there's a good argument for all rounds to count but with more points for high placings than at present.
Paul
I am not suggesting this as an alternative however ......

Points per round: First = 15; Second = 12; Third = 10; Fourth = 8; Fifth = 6; then from Sixth to Tenth score as now (i.e. 6,5,4,3,2 and 1).

The only draw back with this type of scoring system is that the championship is likely to be resolved earlier if one driver, let us say Martin Groves, was to win a lot of early rounds.

I cannot agree that ALL rounds should count as this disadvantages anyone who has a mechanical failure and misses out. For example if someone was to have clutch failure in practice at Barbon Manor they would probably end up missing the two Barbon rounds and the two rounds at Harewood the following day. This would effectively mean their championship year was ruined and they may just cut their losses and save a lot of expense by dropping out for the rest of the year.

By having the ability to drop scores it allows for the mechanical fraility of the machinery plus any driver induced off-course excursions.

What may well happen IF the 'all rounds to count' concept was introduced would be that drivers would play it safe and put in conservative runs to ensure the points tally keeps ticking over.

It is interesting to have these frank and friendly discussions however that is all they will ever be. I am a firm believer in the Enzo Ferrari Committee method of running things however unlike Enzo I believe in listening to what people think before dismissing any suggestions out of hand - that way it appears you are taking into account peoples suggestions.

Old 20 Sep 2006, 20:19 (Ref:1714993)   #40
lifeof
Rookie

lifeof should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Enzo method is perfect if Enzo has commonsense and the brains to realise that some suggestions have merit. An Enzo who just appears to consider suggestions is a total p*****r and not good material to run anything.
Old 20 Sep 2006, 22:54 (Ref:1715100)   #41
Steve Wilkinson
Veteran

United Kingdom
Southport
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeof
The Enzo method is perfect if Enzo has commonsense and the brains to realise that some suggestions have merit. An Enzo who just appears to consider suggestions is a total p*****r and not good material to run anything.