Home  
Site Partners: Veloce Books OldRacingCars.com  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > The Chassis History Archive

Old 25 Aug 2006, 20:19 (Ref:1691730)   #51
allenbrown
OldRacingCars.com
Veteran

allenbrown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridallenbrown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Aha. A fact. Maybe...

Graham Vercoe's book Historic Racing Cars of New Zealand has a section in the back where it gives information about visiting cars, even including cars that arrived after 1977, the cut-off for his other book. One column gives the chassis number. I don't know where Graham got this information from but I have been told it comes from NZ import documentation. David may be able to tell us more.

For what it's worth, it lists on one line:

Car: Lyncar LA78
Chassis: JN 010
Year: 1979
Driver: Howard Wood
Old 27 Aug 2006, 10:23 (Ref:1693432)   #52
David McKinney
Veteran

David McKinney should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No, sorry
I know Vercoe got some of his c/no data from HM Customs in NZ, but I would have thought his mole had retired before the late '70s.
Old 25 Sep 2006, 08:43 (Ref:1718182)   #53
Steve Wilkinson
Veteran

United Kingdom
Southport
Steve Wilkinson is a back marker
Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Wilkinson
Can anyone help with details of the Lyncar chassis numbers PLUS the people who drove the cars?

I am looking in particular for details of LA78-011 for its current owner.

Thanks.
In conversation with noted motor racing historian & author Jeremy Bouckley yesterday at Curborough the chat wandered onto Lyncars. I asked if he knew the background to LA78-011, the Ken Ayers car. The following details were forthcoming:

1. It was a completely NEW car that Lyncar built specifically for speed events
2. It was based on the then current Formula Atlantic tub
3. The back-end was a completely new design to accomodate the Cosworth engine and the bigger Hewland box

IT WAS NOT A REBUILD/RECONSTRUCTION OF AN EXISTING CAR.

If anyone has specific queries about Lyncars please post them on this thread and I will relay them to Jeremy who is still in the dark ages as he doesn't even have a PC let alone access to the INTERWEB!

Old 30 Oct 2006, 12:07 (Ref:1753512)   #54
allenbrown
OldRacingCars.com
Veteran

allenbrown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridallenbrown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In Motoring News 24 Nov 1977 p14 there's a picture of the newly completed car destined for Howard Wood in New Zealand. This would be what Kettlewell called 008.
Old 12 May 2007, 16:31 (Ref:1911740)   #55
davidjohnston8
Rookie

United Kingdom
East Preston
davidjohnston8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This is correct

The notes above are correct. The Ken Ayres car was built from a new tub that was hanging from the workshop roof. Martin was working on the DFV powered version of the Group C2 car for Costas Los, and the hillclimb car used the same rear end as the sportscar.

It ran a 3.9 DFL, which was bought from Lola's sportscar team through John Judd.

The last I heard of Martin Slater was he was living near Newbury, running Lybcar Stables, you can find him via Google.

If you are interested there is a great thread on Pelicanparts.com. Someone has found the styling buck from the Group C2 car.

> http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showt...0&pagenumber=1
>
> and see page 3
>
> http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showt...0&pagenumber=3
>

David
Old 11 Jul 2007, 15:13 (Ref:1960751)   #56
Steve Wilkinson
Veteran

United Kingdom
Southport
Spotted on Racecars Direct

Quote:
Can anyone help with details of the Lyncar chassis numbers PLUS the people who drove the cars?

I am looking in particular for details of LA78-011 for its current owner.

Thanks.
This ad:

LYNCAR LA78-011, the last Martin Slater single seater.
Ran DFL originally, now supercharged V8 with FGA400 gbox.
450 bhp + depending on boost pressure, massive potential.
Very quick car, previously used for hclimb/sprint use, imaculate preaccident.
As stands with damaged tub, call for various selling options!

So it looks like this car might be 'lost'.

Old 11 Jul 2007, 17:27 (Ref:1960855)   #57
allenbrown
OldRacingCars.com
Veteran

Where and when was that advert Steve?
Old 11 Jul 2007, 18:08 (Ref:1960883)   #58
Steve Wilkinson
Veteran

United Kingdom
Southport
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenbrown
Where and when was that advert Steve?
It is on RacecarsDirect currently; follow this link:

http://www.racecarsdirect.com/viewli...php?view=10781
Old 11 Jul 2007, 18:29 (Ref:1960896)   #59
allenbrown
OldRacingCars.com
Veteran

South Devon telephone number.
Old 12 Jul 2007, 08:48 (Ref:1961347)   #60
Steve Wilkinson
Veteran

United Kingdom
Southport
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenbrown
South Devon telephone number.
Correct, the current owner has been doing Hillclimbs and Sprints in the South West for the last couple of seasons. Don't know where he had the 'off' but there are a lot of unforgiving venues in that neck of the woods.

Old 12 Jul 2007, 09:22 (Ref:1961375)   #61
Howard Wood
Rookie

New Zealand
Auckland
Howard Wood should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There is not a lot of detail available in the front on photo in "Race Cars Direct" but although there are some Lyncar signature features I would suggest it is a different car to the "our" Formula Atlantic car.

The bodywork is completely different and details such as the rollover bar etc are different enough to support the theory of this being another car altogether.
Old 12 Jul 2007, 10:57 (Ref:1961451)   #62
Steve Wilkinson
Veteran

United Kingdom
Southport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Wood
There is not a lot of detail available in the front on photo in "Race Cars Direct" but although there are some Lyncar signature features I would suggest it is a different car to the "our" Formula Atlantic car.

The bodywork is completely different and details such as the rollover bar etc are different enough to support the theory of this being another car altogether.
Howard, this was originally the car produced for Ken Ayers. If you PM me your email address I can send you a photo of Ken in the car back in 1987.

Steve
Old 17 Jul 2007, 04:59 (Ref:1965338)   #63
Howard Wood
Rookie

New Zealand
Auckland
Steve,
Photos of Ken Ayres car from 1978 received thanks, I will leave posting them here to you if you think it helps illuminate the subject.

The Ken Ayers car as run in 1978 visually appears the same as our car(s) from the rear tub bulkhead forward. The front suspension is the same rocker setup although the ride height appears higher possibly due to the use the car is being put to (the front shocks are well in the airstream in both action photos), the front wheels are the same Lyncar manufactured centre lock ones and the bodywork is the same.

We made some foam filled glass fibre delta shaped wings front and rear which are not there and the ground effects sidepods are different but that is just a development thing and from the rear of the tub rearwards is all different obviously to fit the DFV (do you know if Ken Ayers ran a FT200 Hewland?). From the photos I would conclude that it is either a new car based on the same design or our car re engineered for the DFV by Lyncar.

The photo of the car currently for sale at racing cars direct shows a lot more differences from both cars. The three elements visible in the photo are: the front suspension which has a rising rate push rod setup, the bodywork which is completely different including the side pods and the roll hoop which is different. Based on that one photo I could not be sure it was the same as Ken Ayres car.

Howard.
Old 17 Jul 2007, 06:09 (Ref:1965351)   #64
tony griffiths
Racer

United Kingdom
california
tony griffiths should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Atlantic cars ....... unquie in the they had an alloy engine mouunt across the front face of the engine block
Old 17 Jul 2007, 08:46 (Ref:1965470)   #65
Steve Wilkinson
Veteran

United Kingdom
Southport
Rewind

Quote:
In conversation with noted motor racing historian & author Jeremy Bouckley yesterday at Curborough the chat wandered onto Lyncars. I asked if he knew the background to LA78-011, the Ken Ayers car. The following details were forthcoming:

1. It was a completely NEW car that Lyncar built specifically for speed events
2. It was based on the then current Formula Atlantic tub
3. The back-end was a completely new design to accomodate the Cosworth engine and the bigger Hewland box

IT WAS NOT A REBUILD/RECONSTRUCTION OF AN EXISTING CAR.

If anyone has specific queries about Lyncars please post them on this thread and I will relay them to Jeremy who is still in the dark ages as he doesn't even have a PC let alone access to the INTERWEB!

Howard, note the earlier post I have included above. I seem to remember the gearbox was a Hewland FG (?) rather than the FT200 which would probably not have been up to the job of handling the power of a DFV.

Old 17 Jul 2007, 12:38 (Ref:1965670)   #66
allenbrown
OldRacingCars.com
Veteran

The chief mystery here is how the Ayers car, which I accept was a new build, got the plate "LA78-011". 011 is also the number on a F/Atlantic car.
Old 17 Jul 2007, 13:32 (Ref:1965720)   #67
Chris Townsend
Veteran

United Kingdom
London
Chris Townsend should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In Tim Fortner's archives I have discovered an extensive suite of photos of the Lyncar taken to the US, being tested by Bob Earl. Fortner was running Earl's Chevron in 1978 and his Ralt in 1979. As Ecurie Canada also tested the Lyncar and indeed took it as a spare for Price Cobb to Trois Rivieres in 1978, I guess that these pictures date from later in the 1978 season.

If someone can inform me about posting pictures on this forum I will scan them on Thursday morning.

Unfortunately there is no photo of the chassis plate [an unfortunate omission in all of Tim's extensive photo documentation, there's a particularly frustrating photo of the cockpit of Earl's new RT1 where you can read RT1 on the plate and then the steering wheel covers the number]

Chris
Old 18 Jul 2007, 02:35 (Ref:1966211)   #68
Howard Wood
Rookie

New Zealand
Auckland
In 1978 John Anderson, who owned the car and co- built it with me, took the second of our two cars (or the rebuilt version of the first crashed car) on a sales mission to Canada and US where it was tested but not run by most of the top runners there. From there the car was shipped to NZ for the January 1979 NZ Pacific Series.

If you can find chassis plate detail for the car while it was in US/ Canada that will solve the ongoing mystery of the numbering sequence of our two (?) cars.
Old 28 Jan 2008, 00:00 (Ref:2115111)   #69
Henk Vasmel
Rookie

Netherlands
Dronten
Henk Vasmel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I just discovered this Forum, so please excuse my somewhat tardy contribution.

I have been checking my databases on Lyncar entries (F1, F2, F5000 & Sportscars) and came up with some entries that I haven't seen mentioned yet.
For the F1 car, I have as an alternative chassis number 007. I now know that this is in error, but it was used a few times in press reports.
For the end of the 1977 F5000 season, there are two entries by Escuderia Aryn, for Herman Herstenberg. Both DNS. Is this 006 as well?
There is a possible entry for the '76 ROTC by Bob Howlings. DNA of course. Would this be 006 too?
According to the Black Books, Carlo Giorgio drove a March 742 in the 1979 F2 Vallelunga race. As an alternative, a Lyncar 79 is mentioned. Is this correct. His team is called RR.
And finally, the Lyncar sportscar is called MS83-001. However in the field of possible alternative chassis numbers, the number 012? is entered. I don't have a source for this at the moment, but it would tie in nicely with the numbers 008-011 that came just before. It does not yet explain the re-use of number 011, though I might imagine that number 013 wasn't a popular choice either. After all, as we have seen, the new formula car was built in the same workshop where the sportscar was being modified at the time.

Over to any of you.

Regards,

Henk Vasmel
Old 28 Jan 2008, 12:30 (Ref:2115480)   #70
Dan Rear
Veteran

Dan Rear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
006 is, we're confident, the Nicholson 1974 F1 car. He used it that year for the UK F1 races, also 1975. It then goes to Howlings presumably, then sold to de Villota's team, who raced it in G8 mainly in 1976-77. Herstenberg was due to hire it for 2 late-season 1977 G8 races, after Emilio had got his M23.
Old 7 Nov 2008, 17:14 (Ref:2330192)   #71
mpbenson
Rookie

United Kingdom
Richmond, N. Yorks.
mpbenson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If anyone is still interested in contacting Martin Slater, I might be able to help.

I used to live with his daughter, Mandy and although we're no longer together we are still in touch. Martin has recently moved to Wales from the stables near Newbury and I still get the occasional Christmas card from him.

I do remember 4 or 5 years ago he had one of the '00' chassis in for some restoration work (he looked after my Locost for me at the time, so I used to spend quite a lot of time in the workshop) but I haven't seen him since I split with Mandy in 2004. I'm sure he wouldn't mind answering some questions though, and it would give me an excuse to pop by and see him.
Old 7 Nov 2008, 18:11 (Ref:2330225)   #72
allenbrown
OldRacingCars.com
Veteran

Thanks for your offer. I'll put some questions together.

Allen
Old 8 Nov 2008, 13:39 (Ref:2330625)   #73
ensign14
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Deception Island
ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!
And if he has pics, even better...
Old 8 Nov 2008, 18:25 (Ref:2330722)   #74
allenbrown
OldRacingCars.com
Veteran

I think there are six questions for Martin, seven if we show an interest in sports cars as well. Firstly, a recap:

Lyncar 001 - Mike Endean 1972-75 later to Broster
Lyncar 002 - John Nicholson March-June 1972 then scrapped
Lyncar 003 - John Nicholson June 1972-July 1973 then Martin Steele
Lyncar 004 - only used in hillclimbs and sprints
Lyncar 005 - John Nicholson July 1973-Nov 1974 then Sharp & Bowditch

All the first five cars are fully understood.

Lyncar 006 - John Nicholson (F1) 1974-1975 then Villota

Question 1. Does he know what happened to 006 after Vilotta had it?
Question 2. Was there just a single F1 car or was a second car (007?) built?
Question 3. Lyncar 007 was said to be a 1975 Atlantic car. Was it built?

Lyncar FA78 or 79A - The Atlantic car run by Howard Wood, Villota, Don Halliday, Keith Corridon and Roger Orgee

Question 4. Was this all the same car from Wood in November 1977 on to Orgee or were there two or more cars in this history?
Question 5. Was this car 008 or 009 or 010 or were all those numbers applied to it?

Lyncar LA78-011 - Ken Ayres' hillclimb car.

Question 6. Was this indeed 'the last Martin Slater single seater'?
(Question 7. What was the chassis number of the MS83 sports car?)

Anyone want to add to these questions or modify them?

Allen
Old 10 Nov 2008, 00:35 (Ref:2331303)   #75
Howard Wood
Rookie

New Zealand
Auckland
Allen,

The key question for Martin regarding the F/ Atlantic car(s) built by John Anderson and me in 1977 and 1978 is the chassis no of the 1977 car and if a new chassis no was allocated to the 1978 car built from the 1977 remains.

If you are speaking to Martin please pass on my regards.

Howard.