Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 9 Jan 2002, 11:59 (Ref:195942)   #1
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Absolute Success Story

I was lucky enough to attend the Paragon motorsport launch today (even though it was all over the front page of AA), and the most startling thing to come out of it was some facts on VIP Petfoods. Last season they spent $800,000 on sponsorship (McLean, Matthew White, QLD 500, Grant Denyer, Mark Larkham, Bathurst 2hr et al), but had a 50% increase in turnover from $24mil to $36mil. Tony tells me it was money well spent, when you consider that a 30sec ad in Sydney or Melbourne is likely to set you back $30K.

Also interesting to note how much value for money Targa Tasmania is. After the $3500 entry fee is paid, and accomodation etc are accounted for, the 6.5 day rally will set you back $11,000. Then consider a weekend at a Procar meeting, say one state south of home, which will set you back $8000....

Also Tony's new Porshce polishes up an absolute treat- hopefully the extra 100hp it will get during the week will get it up around the Lambos et al.
Old 9 Jan 2002, 12:05 (Ref:195944)   #2
rx3racer
Rookie

rx3racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It is a pitty that more people in business won't seriously look at the great advertising benefits associated with motor sport. Put one add in Brisbanes Courier mail on a saturday and you could run a moderately competetive car for a weekend!!!
Old 9 Jan 2002, 19:41 (Ref:196193)   #3
Buckshot
Veteran

Australia
Cambridge Gardens, NSW, Australia
Buckshot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBuckshot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The new paintwork looks great on the McLean car - where did he buy that car from again ? Somebody mentioned it on here in another thread...can't remember...was it the PHR car ?

Can't wait to see the other new paint schemes for the year.
Old 9 Jan 2002, 20:53 (Ref:196245)   #4
RaceTime
Veteran

RaceTime should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ok Crash (Name Dropper) Test - which Tony are you talking about here?
Old 9 Jan 2002, 22:52 (Ref:196308)   #5
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Oh, Tony Quinn.

Yep, it's the ex-Prancing Horse Falcon, as their old car has been repossessed by Greenfield Mowers....

Also interesting to note that they've recalled Tony Scott to be endurance co-driver.... tis good to see them get in early.
Old 10 Jan 2002, 00:45 (Ref:196355)   #6
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
excellent , Tony scott is a great driver , very underated and has never been given a huge shot so I hope he makes the most of it.
Old 10 Jan 2002, 10:22 (Ref:196442)   #7
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
good car, reasonably good drivers, they should go pretty well in 2002.

I find it hard to believe they only spent $800,000 on sponsership, with all the things they had their names on i thought they would have spent much much more
Old 10 Jan 2002, 11:44 (Ref:196483)   #8
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
I think they simply spent wisely. The QLD 500 would have been under $100K, they would have gotten on Cameron's car cheaply because he was fairly desperate, ditto for Matt White and Larko. They would have gotten the Bathurst 2hr fairly cheaply, as it was only announced in the week leading up to the event. Even if they did spend more than that, they still picked up fairly well from it all...
Old 10 Jan 2002, 14:38 (Ref:196554)   #9
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
The car does look great i must admit..funny thing is on page one they have a pic of the CAT car and then page two the VIP petfoods car..all day i found myself getting the two mixed up.

ok so its the old PHR car but what car was it before that ???

Im pretty sure PHR didnt build it did they ?
Old 10 Jan 2002, 21:14 (Ref:196765)   #10
Buckshot
Veteran

Australia
Buckshot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBuckshot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
PHR built the AU from scratch because I remember asking the question on the boards here last year why is a brand new AU allowed to compete in the Konica Series when the entered it for the final round.
Old 10 Jan 2002, 22:54 (Ref:196811)   #11
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
It was only entered in the Mallala round to collect some tyres for testing/Bathurst- they did minimal practice and qualifying before pulling out on race morning.

McLean got the car with 2 engines, which were partially constructed in the States by Penske. Cam is a bloody good steerer, and has done some good things with some fairly average cars in the past 2 seasons.
Old 10 Jan 2002, 23:33 (Ref:196836)   #12
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
allrighty then another question answered..tah very muchly
Old 11 Jan 2002, 00:29 (Ref:196855)   #13
mickj
Racer

mickj should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
here in central victoria.On TV the local greenfield mowers agents are still featuring Cam McLean in their ads. Is he getting paid for this??
Old 11 Jan 2002, 01:10 (Ref:196860)   #14
sevi
Veteran

sevi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Crash Test
[B]I think they simply spent wisely. The QLD 500 would have been under $100K, QUOTE]

you are a fair bit off the mark there Crashy.
Old 11 Jan 2002, 13:51 (Ref:197005)   #15
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
yeah ..I hand thought of that...saw the greenfield mowers ad just yesterday and yesMcLean is still in them ?

I think that even though he is not associated with them anymore Greenfield still own the adds and can do what they like with them ..but i may be wrong on this.
Old 11 Jan 2002, 22:40 (Ref:197289)   #16
Group'C'
Racer

Australia
Hobart /Tasmania
Group'C' should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The reason PHR didnt race on the Sunday at Mallala was due to Mark Noske still recovering from his damaged wrist when he rolled the Mustang, They didnt have very good car speed and Mark was strugling with car setup, these all combined to make the decision to park the car on race day

I had a good look at the car at Bathurst as they where pitted next to us, It is built very well and dont forget they had Paul Cruickshank(ex DJR ) as head mechanic,
I think its time for the Cam to have a good break after last year
Old 12 Jan 2002, 01:37 (Ref:197363)   #17
Buckshot
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
The reason PHR didnt race on the Sunday at Mallala was due to Mark Noske still recovering from his damaged wrist when he rolled the Mustang, They didnt have very good car speed and Mark was strugling with car setup, these all combined to make the decision to park the car on race day
That was their official version...I much prefer the Tyre conspiracy version.
Old 12 Jan 2002, 06:36 (Ref:197432)   #18
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
The conspiracy was being floated around at the time of the Mallala round, and Cam backed it up the other day when I interviewed him....hopefully I'll have that typed up soon, but quite frankly, it's too flaming hot atm...

Also, I've heard some interesting stories about the car, and how PHR had some 'different' ideas on what makes a V8 go quickly...
Old 13 Jan 2002, 06:49 (Ref:197834)   #19
StuiE
Veteran

StuiE should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
they should sponsor mark webber he needs it